Just in time for the new year...I'm having surgery tomorrow morning. Officially it's called a Fifth Metatarsal Head Osteotomy.
I've been fighting with a pressure ulcer on the bottom my right foot, behind the little toe due to a deformity called a Tailor's bunion.
This all started when I noticed some pain in the area one day and then a blood blister popped. It promptly got infected, then the fun began.
It's got infected twice since then me being very, very, careful.
For the past seven months I been going to the wound care center at least once a week. We've tried a variety of treatments, plus three different pairs of diabetic shoes, custom orthotics, dozens of adjustments to the orthotics. Nothing seems to work. They wanted to put me in the Hyperbaric chamber, but because of some other Meds I take, that was not an option .
I've had two MRI's, and a Doppler study of veins and arteries of the legs, and find no other underlying problems.
At my last visit on Wednesday, my doctor asked me what I was doing on Monday :)
In most cases they simply shave off the offending protrusion of bone, but of course, that won't work for me. They are actually removing the entire end of the bone, about an inch. So in essence my little toe will be 'floating'.
So far the surgeon and my Endo are cool with me remaining on the pump during surgery (too bad if they weren't) I'll see how the anesthesiologist feels in the morning. It's supposed to be a local anesthetic and I going to request no sedatives be used. In any event I drafted up a 'cheat sheet' for my wife and the anesthesiologist on pump operation and plan on having a refresher with the wife this afternoon.
I'm running a little high today, (had to stop the Metformin yesterday, again, just in case. So, I'm having to cut down on Carbs even more than normal today.) running about 140. I'm going to wait another hour and then decide if it's the Carbs and Metformin, or the inevitable stress reaction (even if I'm really looking forward to getting this resolved) before I make any adjustments.
My Endo suggested reducing basal rate by 15% Monday morning, to let the BG float up a little, just to be safe. But left that decision to me.
Any advise on basal rates and surgery?