Pump, injections & sex

Hi Chris.
I was initially against the pump because I didn’t want to be connected 24/7 and I also thought that I would never get another date! I have been on it for about 6 years now and it’s the best thing with respect to your freedom to do things. It makes it easier when you have a busy schedule, eat at odd times, have stress or like to exercise. With respect to the dating - never had an issue with anyone who acted weird about it or didn’t want to date because of it. Most of the people I have dated have become somewhat longer term relationships. It is not a passion killer - just check your sugar and disconnect - only takes a second. There is a group on here that I found - single & diabetic - you might want to check that out about the dating situation. Best wishes fellow pumper!

Hi Debbie, I feel reassured so thanks for your response, guess takes time and at present seems like the little things like do i go to bed with shorts on to hold pump in pocket or do i have it loose floating around bed, give it time seems to be general advice. Regards, Chris

Chris,
Since starting with the pump, I’ve always worn pajama pants or shorts with pockets in them. I’ve found that it often falls out of my pocket by the time I wake up, but that doesn’t really bother me.

If I lay it besides me (i.e. no pockets), I sometimes find in the morning that it is wrapped loosely around my waist once or twice – I am not the most sound sleeper – but it’s not a problem, I just need to figure out which way to move it to unwind!

Some people leave the pump under their pillow – I don’t. Having the tubing wrapped around my waist isn’t a problem, but I don’t want it where it may wrap around my neck or potentially restrict movement of my arms.

Hey Chris from UK - Cheers! I have a best friend in West Yorkshire who plays country music of all things. Chris Raddings is his name - google him perhaps you could catch a show. On to the ? . I am not in the pro pump camp. I had type 1 x 33 years and I was sick of injections. My Dr said I could do it for convienience but my control was already excellent. I was on animus pump for 1.8 years. I gained 10 pounds and had more lows. It did give me more freedom. Control was slightly better. Downside for me was lugging it in my pocket and just never feeling like it was part of me. I do a lot of excercise and it just seemed a hassle. Some folks really adore and cannot live without the pump. I gave it a good try and never really felt better. I have been back on MDI for 1/2 year now and have lost the extra 10 and sugars are doing quite well. I do NOT miss the pump one bit. I am not out to discredit that it is a great tool for the majority but in my case right now it is Not the best choice. I am on an extended pump vacation. Hope this helps. Please keep me posted.

Chris: For sleep time, you need to figure out what is most comfortable for you. I usually have the pump clipped to my shorts when sleeping. But, sometimes I just leave it loose. The question is how active you are asleep (and you really can’t tell because you are asleep). When I leave it clipped on, sometime I roll over and have to adjust it. When I leave it loose, sometimes it gets tangled in the bedding, which means I pull at the infusion site, which can hurt a bit. Try different things for a while and see what works.

Hi Phil, Thanks for your response. I think i needed to hear what you said that pump use doesnt suit everyone. feedback so far has ALL been positive about the pump which again maybe i also needed to hear so i could feel comfortable about not having to like it or having to hate it. I am keen to give it longer but found your experience refreshing if for you not all together positive.

Regarding your friend I am originally from Yorkshire and have friends in West Yorkshire (Dewsbury) so will check out the name. Noticed you also a school counsellor, i too work as counsellor for occupational health…small world!!

I was very hesitant about going on the pump… my doctor convinced me to and said that if I started it that I should stay on it at least a year to give it a fair chance. I think that was a good idea… cause after six months, I still hadn’t figured out all the useful things that my pump could help me with (like turning down the basal for exercise and using dual wave boluses)… I think this is good advice.

After a while you can make a better decision. Maybe (like Phil), you’ll decide to take an extended break from the pump, or like others you’ll decide it’s the thing for you!!

Hi again, Chris! I’ve been pumping 8 years! So, I can tell you lots of things about actually living with it. Everyone says disconnect for sex, but I don’t. It doesn’t get in the way at all. And if you fall asleep after and forget to reconnect, big problems… I’ve been married for 9 years, and while I was a little uncomfortable at first, I got over it pretty quick. My thoughts are, if someone is interested in you, the pump and tubing won’t matter. In fact, most people find it extremely interesting and cool. I give new friends (platonic of course) what I call “pump 101”. They want to see how it hooks up, what it does, how it helps me stay healthy and happy. I show them. No need to be shy about it. Face it, dear, you’re stuck with the disease. You should at least be free to do as you choose lifestyle wise, right? Eat, exercise, party, play and DATE!

I never forget I’m attached, but I look at it as a positive, it allows me to actually live my life. And, it’s a ton more comfortable than the pods. And more discreet in intimate situations. Imagine having half a hard boiled egg sticking out of you somewhere and having to explain that to a girlfriend! At least with the external pump and tubing, it makes sense.

Hi Val, Thanks for your words and wisdom. The pod isnt available in UK at present anyway but it has been of interest to me and maybe you are right that the pump even with the tubes just makes more sense than half an egg stuck somewhere. I am still not convinced girlfriends will see the pump as cool but maybe the key is acceptance of it as the first rung up the ladder. Chris

I’m the one who shared my scary pod story with you. I’m back on my Minimed now and my numbers have been perfect! I wouldn’t recommend pods to anyone. Too unreliable, and not as discreet. Trust me… You’d be surprised I think how interested people are in pumps. You just have to be willing to share. Hopefully by the time intimacy comes into play, you’ve already talked about being diabetic and how cool your pump is and how it has changed your life.

Frankly, my hubby doesn’t even notice it, ever. You need to embrace it, not just accept. It will truly make make your life much easier. It will allow you freedom you haven’t experienced since being diagnosed. Wait until you have your first food binge and don’t suffer the obligatory 400 bsg. Keep me posted, Chris. I’m out here if you need encouragement. My pump gave me the ability to compete in Figure Bodybuilding. Something I would not have been able to do on injections. I have a whole different life than I had before.

Thanks for your support Val, i will keep u informed how i get on! Chris