Radioactive iodine treatment effect on pump

Has anyone had radioactive iodine treatment (swallowing a pill) to rid thyroid problems? I was told the therapy emits quite a bit of radioation. I was wondering whether that can affect the insulin pump like that of an X-ray machine?

First study of this was in 2018. Interesting question.

Insulin pump exposed to radioactive iodine - PMC.

1 Like

I’ve not needed to do that. But I had an iodine Iv. For ct scan. I developed a strong allergic reaction to all iodine including all fish, not just shell fish. I had disconnected my sensor because they told me it wouldn’t work for a few days. I kept it off for three days and it was normal after that.

3 Likes

Just checking again whether anyone has gone through this treatment. I’m getting it done soon but no one seems to know whether the insulin pump is safe. I asked the endo and the radiologist and both don’t know. This treatment has radiation left in the body for a week or so and they ask you to isolate yourself for that week. Will this amount of radiation malfunction my pump?

I would contact the pump manufacturer and talk to someone other than the one who answered the phone in the tech department. Blessings to you

1 Like

I had contrast iodine injected for a Ct scan when I was 18.
It caused me to develop a horrendous allergy to iodine including all fish. Shellfish causes anaphylaxis but even freshwater fish causes milder reaction. I need to be extra careful when I go to a doctor because they always seem to want to slather some iodine product on me. So I need to remind everyone I come in contact with about it.

My endo told me it is much more common in type 1 people to develop these kinds of allergies and iodine is one of the big triggers. I don’t know what I will do if I ever need a radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

1 Like

Thank you for the call out, I’ll be mindful of it

Strangely enough I can eat iodized salt and the levels in green veggies don’t seem to effecting me either.
I am also allergic to sesame but only mildly.

All of my allergies hit me around the same time as t1.
I’m allergic to tree pollen, iodine,sesame seeds,and mushrooms. None of those things ever bothered me when I was growing up.
My allergist told me that I’m allergic to many other thinigs too but none of those things really bother me, like wheat.
I have no issues with eating it but they say I am

I hate the limitations of t1 but the allergies are icing on the crap cake.

I’m allergic to the tape adhesives too but I manage with using a iv3000 under the set and a drop of
Neosporin. I guess the iv3000 adhesive is not an issue for me. I can’t eat out in Asian restaurants because it seems like there is fish in everything.
I have tried to tell them, I’ve asked for a list of ingredients
But I got burned one too many times.
It’s like trying to avoid air. I have gone to vegan restaurants but they are carb heavy. So. Yea it’s tough.

The neosporin keeps the adhesive from trailing into the hole from the cannula. I suppose any heavy oil based salve would work.