Really, what am I injecting into myself?

this has been bugging me for a while…theres not a whole lot of info on possible side effects of insulin treatment. Whats in it, is it toxic? i hear zinc and preservatives and the list goes on. I’ve been on humulin N and humalog for 10 years, and i wonder if there could be benefits to other insulins? my BG control is very good, always has been (in fact, 12 years and never been to the hospital or had a close call…call me disciplined or lucky?)…hba1’s always good as well…so i have no reson to switch because of control, but i do hve this nasty tendancy towards depression, and i cant help but wonder maybe…just maybe theres something in this particular insulin my body doesn’t like?

Hmm… look at the tradeoffs:

Don’t take insulin, go into DKA, and die in a couple days.

Do take insulin and maybe die in 50, 70 years.

All that said, the choice is not so clear for everyone. My wife refuses to take even an aspirin ever.

30 years ago many docs believed that all the diabetes complicatons might actually be the result of insulin. The DCCT proved that wrong, but still if you look in the mass media you can find plenty of nut jobs who tell everyone that insulin is an addiction, that insulin is the cause of problems.

Now, having a lifelong chronic disease, can that be related to our emotions and depression? I think the answer is yes. I’ve been T1 30 years now, and I’ve had my ups and downs. Right now I think I’m on a very real up. But I remember the downs and they weren’t fun.

And related to autoimmune T1 is autoimmune thyroid disease that can be related to tired, depression type feelings.

lol, i don’t think nick was considering stopping using insulin, but rather just questioning what the insulins on the market today could doing other than what they are meant to.

i think, just take it without question because we’re told to mentality is a dangerous one, if something fails under scrutiny then it should be scrutinized, and if it passes without fault then it has nothing to worry about in the extra attention…

http://bit.ly/cbCf8C - check this site out…scared the stuffing out of me. I was at the Joslyn clinc a few months ago and they were recruiting for T1 research on the effect of high glucose or high insulin on the brain. At least with endro’s, the link between depression and diabetes is known if not understood - not so with GP’s. I am also taking 1500 units of vitamin D which I recommend and have your thyroid tested - it’s one of those conditions that’s also associated with diabetes.

Diabetes and depression seem to go together. I have depression but I think mine is inherited. I’ve been using insulins for over 30 years and haven’t had any adverse effects. Other than the Lantus going bad and having high BG as a result. Chronic conditions lend themselves to depression because of the constant care and concern. Insulin is one of the good guys.

Todays insulins are geneticly engenered and are exact duplicates to of human insulin. The fact that they are made from baterias that would otherwise kill us should not be a worry.

I’m just grateful BG testing no longer involves a bunson burner and some pee. Somehow the geezers who accepted treatment that involved pig pancreas and giant needles survived and paved the way for our current creepy treatment.

Actually most modern insulins are analogs, they do the same job, but are biochemically different, and what we inject isn’t pure insulin (or insulin analog) it is diluted so that we can do accurate dosing, and it contains preservatives to extend it’s shelf life.

Although they can be, the bacteria used in the manufacturing process aren’t necessarily dangerous ones, for example yeast is used in some cases.

I’m not actually worried about what I am injecting, I’m just being pedantic…

Cost benefit analysis - Tim is right. You can worry about what you’re injecting when you have a realistic choice of injecting something better. Right now, that choice doesn’t exist. So there’s no point in worrying about it.

Not to mention the fact that worry and anxiety raise your cortisol levels, and cortisol interferes with insulin’s activity. So worrying actually makes your diabetes worse! Especially if it keeps you up at night (lost sleep = insulin resistance).

So as Bobby McFerrin once said… (cue song here).

This is an interesting discussion. I’ve heard that insulins today are LOADED with preservatives (way more than in the past)…BUT as others said, we don’t have a choice… The alternative is not a nice one! So, I choose healthy choices for everything else that goes into and onto my body…organic foods, lotions without parabens, etc. I hope that these efforts will kind of counter-balance the preservatives in the insulin.

Not exact - they remove C-peptide which is something we need

I guess it is just another modern saga: do you hate eating fruit from a normal grocery store? do you allow the doctors to prescribe antibiotics when you have strep throat? So much of the modern culture gives us products of bacteria and other organisms, and uses preservatives to make sure its still safe when it reaches us. If a little wax on your apple doesn’t bother you, hopefully the stuff in modern insulin doesn’t.

And yes, the link between diabetes and depression is common, as can be said of a lot of chronic conditions. The really positive side is that you are doing really well and have a community of people interested in you, so maybe there is that ray of sunshine!

Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, there was a study done confirming the relation of diabetes and depression caused by glutamate in the brain: http://www.medindia.net/news/High-Glutamate-Levels-in-Brain-Linked-…

glutamate is one of the key ingredients in the controversial food additive MSG (mono-sodium glutamate)

through research and advice from my doctor (who is also type 1, for 25 years) i have found a few other interesting things about type 1 diabetes. The first is the organic acid Taurine (yes, the taurine commonly added to those energy drinks) This from wikipedia so obviously not guaranteed accurate:

“Studies have shown that taurine can influence (and possibly reverse) defects in nerve blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity, and nerve sensory thresholds in experimental diabetic neuropathic rats.[41][42] In another study on diabetic rats, taurine significantly decreased weight and decreased blood sugar in these animal models.[43] Likewise, a 2008 study demonstrated that taurine administration to diabetic rabbits resulted in 30% decrease in serum glucose levels.[44] According to the single study on human subjects, daily administration of 1.5g taurine had no significant effect on insulin secretion or insulin sensitivity.[45] There is evidence that taurine may exert a beneficial effect in preventing diabetes-associated microangiopathy and tubulointerstitial injury in diabetic nephropathy.[46][47] Taurine acts as a glycation inhibitor. Studies have shown that taurine treated diabetic rats had a decrease in the formation of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) and AGEs content.”

also, folic acid (which is vitamin b9, which is NOT included in most b-vitamin complex supplements), again from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folic_acid#Type_1_diabetes_mellitus