Reasons Why People Ditch Pumps

Riva Greenberg has posted an excellent discussion on why some people do not want a pump, and prefer injections. That happens rather frequently. I am very glad I chose to use a pump, and that my insurance covers pumps and pump supply expenses. I have much better control, with fewer lows and highs since I started pumping eight years ago. I have not needed assistance with a hypo since July, 2007. A pump is the best choice, for me. It may not be the best choice for you.

I wear a pump too and love it, but great article. I’ve heard all of it before, but nonetheless great.
Its good for pumpers to understand why some T1’s choose not to pump. I’ve had some non-pumpers get all self-righteous on me about how shots are better. Been there, done that, I personally hated it compared to pumping. I really don’t mind letting something help control my diabetes if it makes my life 100% easier.
Thanks for sharing
Busybee

1 Like

I would not say a pump is perfect, I’m sick of wearing it and the insets are frequently painful for me and I’ve had other issues. However it is still the best for me by a long shot until something better comes a long. There is no comparison to mdi at all.

1 Like

From the article:

Also, being attached to the pump via tubing or pod is a 24/7 thing and for some this makes a pump a constant reminder of diabetes. This might be beneficial for some, but a psychological downer for others.

I think that was probably the thing that kept me away from it for a long time. MDI is simpler, there aren’t so many bits and pieces involved, and I just really didn’t want to have to think about my T1 any more than I already did. The pump gives me a much greater degree of fine-tuning, but it also occupies a lot more “mind share” than MDI, which was more of a “shoot-up and (mostly) forget it” kind of thing. There are a lot more failure points in the pump system then with injection pens, and I’ve hit just about all of 'em one time or another. I prefer the pump overall, but there have been times–particularly during my first year on it–when I was on the verge of going back to MDI.

1 Like

Its a great point. I can see that when I have diabetes for a longer period of time than I do now, I might feel the same. For now though, I feel like if I’m not thinking about testing myself, checking my pump, i.e. thinking about my diabetes something might and will go wrong. I have 3 kids with a 4th on the way, but I really feel like my diabetes is an extra kid I have to take care of outside of myself with the help of my pump. The pump helps me manage my extra kid. If only the pump could help me with my other kids. :wink:
I think my experience is more about the feeling of control that I have over my diabetes and the psychology behind that. I feel like if I’m not thinking or “managing my pump” i’m not controlling my diabetes. I think when I was diagnosed I had too many experiences where things were under control and then things quickly developed out of my control or what felt was out of my control. I had some horrible lows and I also gave myself too much insulin once. Those experiences really scared me enough into feeling comforted by the control I give my pump.
Then again, I’ve heard alot of non-pumpers say that they feel more in control and having a pump made them feel or would make them feel more out of control.
Maybe its because I’m a gen-Y’er and I’m very comfortable around technology.
Busybee

I would love to go back to my insulin pens one day, but, you can’t turn the insulin down after an injection. What’s done is done, a dose is a dose, and for me that doesnt work out well. Maybe some day, a pump vacation, but not now.