Recently diagnosed with Type 2 - Dealing with an internal tantrum now

I was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes after a recommendation of having my cholesterol checked. When I was called to make a follow up appointment with the doctor, I assumed it was because my cholesterol was up. I had no idea that the call was made in regards to my fasting glucose level, which at the time were 310. Having known this tidbit of information, I would have been prepared with some questions for the doctor during the visit. So, I was told within a few minutes into the visit that I had Type 2 Diabetes. I would go on some oral medication, be testing my glucose levels numerous times a day and that I needed to lose 10-20 pounds ASAP. The rest of the visit was a blur. I was handed a couple of prescriptions, a bound notebook about diabetes, and given a number to call for diabetes classes, then asked…“Do you have any questions?” Let’s see Brainac - DO I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS??? No. Of course not. My brain is still processing the first three words that came out of your mouth a few minutes ago. YOU HAVE DIABETES.

I walked out of the doctor’s office feeling anxious, scarred, and guilty. I’ve been accused of having a quick wit and smart mouth, but at this time I could not think of the right questions to ask.

It was not until I got home, started looking over my new meter, test strips, “Living with Diabetes” notebook that I started thinking of the “AH HA” questions I should have asked. What about the range of blood glucose readings. Was there a maximum number for blood glucose readings? If so, did this mean you’d lose your eyesight, have a stroke or heart attack? Would the circulation in your body shut down? Would I lose my feet? I know these questions may be selfish or sound silly, but I’ve never met my birth parents, so I’ve always been a bit optimistic that I’d miss out on all of the “scary” illnesses and diseases.

Then I wondered if it was because I had one too many glasses of wine at dinner? Should I have passed eating Thai food? How did I let this happen to myself? What am I going to tell my family? Who am I going to tell? Does this give people the opportunity to give me their opinions of what went wrong?

Yes, I’m overweight. It’s not a huge surprise. It’s not as if I woke up one morning and thought Holy Crap - when did I get such a big ■■■. I just don’t want to be “policed” by others 24/7 when they find out I have Diabetes now. It has been my observation that the “pc” filter vanishes when you’re diagnosed with an illness, disease, or hell, even a pregnancy. Some of the things I’ve heard people say are so intolerable. My initial reaction is to club them over the head or back over them with my car. At this point I am only discussing my diagnosis with those who need to know.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. This has really helped to calm down my internal tantrum.

Please get a copy of Gretchen Becker’s The First Year; Type 2 Diabetes. She’ll tell you the stuff your doctor doesn’t have time to tell you and she’ll also help you learn how to test properly and how to lower your blood sugar so you don’t need to get complications.

It is the best book for someone newly diagnosed with Type 2 and should help you calm down greatly!

The mere words of “you have been diagnosed with-” is one of the most life altering statements one can hear, but please remember they are just words and the “finality” of such statements are based on outdated beliefs and practices that many people pay to have verbalized to them. Internal stresses like this cause extreme amounts of cellular metabolic dysfunction (especially if other internal turmoil has occurred over and over throughout the years- no reference to you, just pointing that out). What you have created can be reversed and healed and I hope you begin a great path of learning and healing your body without too much influence from allopathic medicine, for we can finally see where that path is leading. Don’t be scared and don’t be angry :slight_smile: This is a new direction for you in life, greet it with a new responsibility and perspective.

This is a great place to vent and talk things out with other people that understand diabetes. I count my carbs and I have lost some weight. Only 90 carbs a day. Hymmm that seemed hard but it really isn’t. Plan a menu if you can about 2 days in advance and write down everything you stick in your mouth. All foods have carbs, and 30 at each meal add up. so I test my blood sugar when i get up and before lunch then sometime 2 hours after a meal. If you want send me your email adress and I can send you a copy of the paper that I use. It is not hopeless. Just because you have diabetes doesn’t mean you cannot eat. Have any question let me know.
Take care your going to be OK!! Check out www.dlife.com
Larry

Thanks for the reference. I just picked up the book at lunch yesterday and started reading it last night. Now to work on the internal calming.

Welcome to the club!

Let´s put it this way. Everyone of us went thru what you did this days. It´s like…hey I´ve seen that part of the “movie” already… In my case I´ve been dealing with Type 1 for 14 years. I remember back then when I didnt understand a lot of things (specially the famous “why me” question). Years went by and let me assure you that you ll find your own way…you´ll learn to deal with a lot of things and the process is not that complicated.
You have a lot of folks here that can give you their advice and give you a hand. Good luck…relax and enjoy the ride

Hi, Tracy,

I’m a type 1 diabetic and also adopted. I recently started looking for my birth parents, because, as you made reference to, medical history can be important. I’m hoping that I get information about what to watch out for aside from diabetes, so I can be informed & ready to make preventive decisions. I’m actually really excited about the search, though of course there’s no guarantee anything will turn up.

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, and I hope you get the care and information you need to feel confident in treating your illness. Diabetes is hard, but we diabetics are pretty tough :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you!

Tracy:

I agree with Lindsay, except for the remark about Bush (he gets blamed for a lot of things). An argument could be made to blame Bill Clinton because for eight years I watched him scarf down fast food (our mutual weakness). My speech patterns are a lot like George Bush (imperfect), and my eating habits were a lot like Bill Clintons.

I would replace Bush with those people that watch (or police) what you eat. This past 4th of July a few neightbors got together for a cook out. “M” brought a gigiantic chocolate chip cookie, with frosting, for dessert. This was the only dessert item. I had a small piece, actually a sliver. “M” saw me eating my sliver a remarked “I am surprised that you could eat that”. I immediatley thought, “well since you know that I have Type 2, why did you bring this for dessert?” But, I kept that on the inside. Instead I responded with something like: “One of the ways I keep my blood sugar under control is to control the size of the portions of the food I eat. The piece of cookie that I am eating is a lot smaller than the wedge that your husband is consuming. I used to over eat like that, but then I got diabetes.” “M” then looked over at her husband, his bulging belly, and the hunk of cookie he was stuffing in his mouth. She got my point and shut up. I don’t always verbally communicate very well, but then sometimes I nail it!

Lindsay:

I was in no way offended. I enjoy reading your coments. I was just offerring a different alternative, and also exercising an attempt to be funny (in a RED state sort of way). I doubt “W” or Bill Clinton read the forums at tudiabetes.com so they should not be offended either.

Hi …

I’m 52 and am adopted, too. I found my birthfamily about 12 years ago and there were no signs on diabetes to my knowledge. Then my brother (birth) and I were both diagnosed as Type 2’s during the same month (although he’s 9 years older than I am). I am not close to my birth family but do understand that there is probably a genetic component to this all. Plus, I was overweight for year (four kids).

My biggest problem is fear. Yeah … I know both the bible and Winston Churchhill have to say about it. But it’s true. My biggest problem is fear.

Hi Tracy - don’t you love those medical folks who throw such life altering situations at you and expect you to just deal with it? I got my diagnosis through the mail (2005), a prescription for Metformin, and the number to my local Diabetes Center. I had no idea what to do; no mention blood testing or high blood level complications or anything supportive of such devastating news. Needless to say, she is no longer my doctor. I now have a wonderful doctor who is very active in managing my diabetes.

I would highly suggest working with your local Diabetes Center. They have been excellent in helping me get my levels down. My last A1C was 7.1 (down from 10.4). I’ve recently started insulin and that scared me. However, now I wished that I had started sooner. I’m no longer exhausted and feel much more “with-it”. I just found this site and am so glad that now I have a place to vent too. As they say, keep coming back.

Hey Brenda. I was floored when I read your entry. I can’t believe you received your diagnosis through the mail. That’s so impersonal. I’m glad to read that you have a wonderful doctor now. I’m looking forward to switching mine as well. I rarely had to see him in the past, usually for seasonal allergies. I had no idea he could be such a tool until I was diagnosed last month. I think he traded his soul for a lab coat.

Thanks for the local Diabetes Center recommendation. I’ve gone to two classes so far. They have been pretty helpful in regards to nutrition questions and what to look out for if your blood sugar is too high or low. I was also hoping to connect with some fellow classmates to create a local support group. So, when those connections did not happen, I started feverishly searching the internet. I found a few sites, but none compared to the community feel this site had. I’ve had so many questions and concerns with limited outlets for answers and suggestions. This site has been a great outlet. Plus, you can visit the site 24 hours a day and post entries when it’s convenient for you. I’ve also met some really cool people along the way. Their emails keep my spirits up. Especially on days when my blood sugar’s skyrocketing. My last A1C was 13. That’s been about two and a half months ago, so I’m in a new phase of “will this put me in my target range?” This is also where this site has come in handy. Just when I think it’s time for a pity party I’ll read through some of the entries and stories. Definitely changes my attitude in a matter of a few seconds.

I’m glad you found this site and hope you’ll keep coming back. I must admit I get a little extra bounce in my step when I see a “Someone wants to be your friend” in my email in bin. It’s as exciting as opening presents.

And you will have more tantrums! You have to let those OUT! Yes, it’s hard, it’s scary and ya feel guilty. I think we’ve all been through this. I busted my food down to almost nothing. Food scared the heck out of me. I dropped 65 pounds in less than a year. I was scared of food for almost 2 years. Diabetes isn’t tons of fun, but it can be handled. Rant and rave whenever you feel need. And yes, the first year; type 2 is really fabulous!

Oh Brenda that is a terrible way to find out!
Here let me make you be amazed at what CAN happen,.
Marsha just above me here was there when I found out-thank goodness, (and henna), and she held my hand during the whole time-until I went home. Explained what I could and could not eat.
I was very lucky.
We were at a big Henna Conference where we were testing people to see if there was any difference in your blood sugar if you test through hennaed skin.
I was proctering the test, otherwise I would have never know what a normal fasting blood sugar was.
Mine was 475. I repeated the test. Big suprise 475.
I picked up my cell and called my clinic at home (in Seattle) and asked for the Endo dept and told the RN there what my BS was.
I was going to be back in Seattle the following monday I had an appt with the RN that day, where I got a glucose meter of my own, blood work done, and of course all the Diab 101 paperwork. I was also given a list of other appts; poditry, optomitry, endocronology, all by the following monday, as well as a book list.
I was signed up for a 2 day Diab class -so we could become “professional Diabetics” :wink: .The best part was the class.
I urge you to go to the biggest and best Diab center near you and take the class, take your partner, your mom, your best friend too if you can.
Knowldge is power.
BTW my BS is now 117 my A1C was 11.5 is now 7
Good luck with your trip

I was also diagnosed via snail mail minus the prescription or phone number. There was just a hand written note saying “come back in three months.” I had an A1c of 6.5% so - perhaps that wasn’t life threatening enough for my GP? Crazy!

~Danielle

I’m in the same boat. I’m so sorry you have been diagnosed with this. I think you are in the right place. hug

I was diagnosed quite sometime ago, it started as Type II and now I take a pill 3 times a day and 11cc of Insulin everyday. I was under the impression that if I didn’t think about it, it wasn’t there. I still sometimes have that train of thought. That and it is hard to eat right with food prices like they are, gas prices are high but do not go too many places so gas is not an issue, it is more the food thing. I don’t like a whole of things, my fruits consist of bananas, oranges and peaches, my veggies consist of carrots, green beans and yellow beans. I have this thing for a lot of carbs, bread, pasta, potatoes and the like. I would like to know how anyone can eat right with the price of food the way it is? It is just to expensive to eat right most of the time.

Well the junk food is more expensive too. It is the middle of the summer so veggies are cheap right now. Try to branch out and try more things. Go to a Farmer’s Market. If you like meat then buy from a butcher or at least buy in bulk so that you can get a volume discount, and freeze it in smaller portions. Eat lots of dry beans, brown rice, etc. They are cheap.