Rediscovering the First Miracle Drug [i.e., Insulin ]

The New York Historical Society is hosting an exhibit called “Breakthrough: The Dramatic Story of the Discovery of Insulin” from today through January 31, 2011.

You can read about it in today’s New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/health/05insulin.html

The article covers the mostly familiar story about how devastating diabetes was before the discovery and manufacturing of insulin. But one quote really stood out for me:

Diabetes was the first illness which forced them [doctors] to cede some medical authority to the patient, said Jean Ashton, one of the exhibit’s curators. With insulin, diabetics suddenly acquired both the right and the responsibility to maintain their own health.

What a liberating and empowering thought. I, as a person with diabetes, have the right and the responsibility to maintain my health. Me. I. Not the doctor, dietician or pharmacist.

In a world full of images that paint people with medical conditions as being full of fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) it's refreshing to hear an affirming voice. A voice that says I have choices to make. And while the outcome may be uncertain (Life is uncertain) I can choose the kind of life I want to live and not be a victim of my disease.

Cheers,
Corinna

Ha, Corinna – isn’t it funny how the very same quote leaped out at both of us, and we both felt the urgent need to blog it to TuDiabetes? But, you have to admit – it’s one heck of a knock on the head, that quote.

For Elizabeth and you … and everyone else , but must admit I don’t know , if non Canadians can vote :slight_smile: , worth a TRY …Canadian TU site gives a chance to vote , Maclean’s magazine, which I posted …this is the third week , contest closes mid October …Canadian Drs .Banting and Best ( INSULIN ) are in the fore front …I voted for them in the first, second and 3 rd week …please help , if you can …a fun game .( I copy/pasted from E’s post :slight_smile: ) …thanks , N.

Thanks for the article Corinna.

I had to giggle about Dr. Banting giving someone a black eye(if true). I didn’t realize he was that feisty.

That is truly amazing that she lived to age 74, being that she was in the group of “firsts” to receive Insulin. I mean, 1981 wasn’t that long ago. By that date, I had already had Diabetes for around 20 years. It’s unfortunate that she destroyed her medical/personal documents. What a weath of information.

Oh ya and…YAY for dog #92 for getting up and wagging her tail. :slight_smile:

@Elizabeth - Yup! I think the sentiment in the quote applies to many cronic illnesses and conditions, not just diabetes. It’s nice to be reminded now and again that I can be in the driver’s seat when it comes to healthful living.