Responses to Loved Ones

Can you please mail this distinguished jaw line person to me mohe0001? :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Oh goodness, I guess somehow I got to the older generation stage? I am 68, and have been a type 1 for 60 yrs.

No one messes with me. I am small and was quite cute. I have never been teased or criticized about anything relating to my diabetes. My husband of almost 50 yrs is my biggest supporter and my 30 yr old son respects the way I handle my illness.

Because my family has had so many serious health problems, I am very, very strong when it comes to health matters, well most matters really.

Maybe I am just very, very fortunate to have found a husband who loves and respects me, but I doubt that I would have stayed with anyone who didn’t.

4 Likes

Well that’s just it, isn’t it? Hypoglycemia is just impossible to hide for long. When my blood glucose dropped, she would notice that something in my behavior was not right. But the problem was that when I wasn’t disclosing the real reason, she would imagine something far worse. The ultimate truth is what we feel.

This is the age old war between diabetics and normo-glycemics. We will get them.

2 Likes

When I felt really bad because someone that I worked with for a long time told me that I wasn’t “cut out” for work at the fire department because of diabetes, my best friend made me watch Edward Scissorhands and it made me feel better. You should watch.

4 Likes

Yes, I remember things being worse upon trying to hide it when I was younger as well. Thanks for reminding me to always stay true to myself and strong through it.

1 Like

:rofl::joy:

Personally, I don’t think about, or talk about, diabetes as a disease. I go straight to diabetes-as-disability. You don’t get over it, and you have to be your own pancreas. I am more than happy to explain (usually in pretty simple terms) that their body produces insulin as needed, but mine doesn’t, and that insulin is needed to survive. I willingly explain (if asked) that all of the precautions that I take (carrying around glucose tablets, or other carbs, and back-up supplies) are me insuring that I don’t end up in medical difficulties, which I am willing to explain, too.

I want people to understand that I take my health care very seriously, and that if I ask for help it is because I REALLY need it.

… I suspect that it scares some people, but then diabetes is a scary thing. It’s been sitting in the background and foreground of my life, and scaring me, for over 32 of my 53 years.

Having just re-read this, I think that this sounds kind of angry … interesting personal insight … sigh! Maybe my attitude toward other people is part educator, and part “See what I have to deal with? So just be grateful that it isn’t you, and realize that this is very difficult.”

I really liked that tightrope analogy … every day, 24/7.

3 Likes