Sensor!

Does anyone have the Medtronic Minimed BG sensor that acts with the pump? I am interested but the website doesnt give that much information…

It’s a love it or hate it thing. I have mine and have very little problems with it. I really like it. I’ve become quite dependant on it. :slight_smile: However, a lot of people hate it. You might ask your doc to let you do a 3 day trial or call minimed about a trial and also check out Dexcom sensor too.

great! thank you for your input! also, how does it monitor your sugar level? is there a needle or just adhesive?

A needle (it’s big and ugly, I won’t lie) is inserted into the skin, but just like w/ the infusion sets, the needle comes out and leaves a thin sensor under the skin. I also advise medical tape to hold it down. The adhesive isn’t that great (and it’s a small area) that they use.

I’ve had mine for a couple weeks now and I love it!

Thanks guys!

Don’t let the HUGE needle scare you. Use ice cubes prior to insertion and you won’t feel it. I completely love it and have come to strongly depend on it, especially when trying to figure out my overnight trends. You have to keep in mind that it is MOST useful for trending information versus where you are right this minute due to the time lag. I tried the Dexcom first and did not like it, but that was pre-Dexcom 7 so I can’t say much about that. I do love the fact the MM is an all in one package with no extra stuff for me to lose or get out of range. I’ve been on the CGMS since January 2008 and have never regretted it. My record is over 40 days of keeping the same sensor in, but honestly don’ t recommend more than 2-3 weeks due to possible infections.

When I got diagnosed with neonatal monogentic diabetes they used it to help ween me of the pump and they sent a rep out. The rep really told me alot about it. So you might consider having a rep come out.

I agree about not letting the needle scare you. I don’t use ice cubes, and it isn’t very painful at all. Occasionally it will hurt, but in more more a way than a regular infusion set.
I’ve never left a sensor in for more than 10 days. I usually do about 7 to 8 days, which is right around 2 infusion set changes for me. It also is around the time that a good charge on the transmitter will go dead. So the timing just seems to work out.