"should not live alone" recommendations for T1Ds

When I was in college and living alone (which I didn't always), I was a little nervous about it. Some things that helped me, were: 1. I got to know my neighbors and they all knew I was diabetic; 2. I got a job working on the ambulance, which is a good college job because you can do homework when its not busy (plus, it never hurts to have some good karma with the people who might show up to help); 3. I didn't spend a ton of time at home - I tried to study at the library or in coffee shops with a laptop. I'll admit that I had some close calls, but to this day, I'm not 100% sure if those were from diabetes or a combination of diabetes and epilepsy. I woke up a number or times 'tripping out' so I sorta thing the really bad episodes were seizure related. But, I'm not 100% sure.

We sound almost related. My parents were taught by my pediatric endo in 1966 that there was nothing in life I could not do. And I was raised that way. There really was no question of me going away to school, getting an apartment, etc. In some ways I find that diabetes education is going backwards rather than forwards. I can't believe the numbers of people that can't even change their own insulin dosages without checking with the doc first.

1 Like

I personally donā€™t think a t1d should live alone, and hereā€™s my experiences for the reason of my opinion.

My husband and I both have type one. My husband was 5 when he was diagnosed (now 22) and I was 16. Over the years, my husband has had SEVERE lows in his sleep, causing him to not wake up. I canā€™t count on all of my fingers and toes how many times in the middle of the night Iā€™ve had to give him juice, honey, or a glucagon shot. I went to work one time on one of his days off early one morning, came home at 7 that evening to find he never woke up that day. Itā€™s a scary thing even though he doesnā€™t live alone! Iā€™d be terrified to think of anyone leaving a t1d alone for too long just because of my experience :frowning:

It really does depend on the individual.

People always tend to use the shorthand "T1D" as though it is one common, identical shared experience. The hardest thing for a T1 ... or any type of diabetic ... to remember is that another person's experience of diabetes is almost always not their experience.

We do share some experiences. We also do not share some things. The only general rule is that you can't generalize. You have to know more about the person and their particular needs.

No?

Hey 2hobbt1. Did you donate to the Indiegogo campaign for Sugar Surfing? I'm interested in reading it, but his website says the publication is delayed till mid Feb

Yes. Itā€™s a bit more dangerous for ANYONE to live alone. Your right, irrational John, if its more dangerous for a diabetic, really depends on the diabetic. Sometimes, having a bunch of friends around who are trying to help, just isn't good enough. Our community had one college kid, on a pump, die several years ago, even though his friends noticed right away that something was wrong and combed the streets looking for him. I think he got scared or mad and fled. You just never know. Most of us, Iā€™m guessing, manage to survive. For me, I was lucky, in a lot of cases. Iā€™m sure there were years when the medical establishment/fire department wished I were dead. LOL.

There are currently 67 members of our group "Living alone with Diabetes." I suspect there are quite a few more "living alone" members on this forum. Yes, for me, a type 1 who is prone to extreme swings in BG, it is difficult and, yes, scary to go to sleep at night. And even in the daytime as I have gone from alert to out-of-it in broad daylight.

However, I think I am in the minority of the really unstable T1Ds. Most of the people on this forum seem to really be good managers. This is a self-selected group though!

I think that it is possible to live alone and do well. It is also possible to live with other people and still have catastrophic events.

I feel some comfort by having a basic ADT security system with a fob that I can wear around my neck. If I am able to think, not always possible, I can at least punch the button and get help. I have a neighbor that I can call but, unfortunately, she screens her calls at her leisure so I am not sure if that would help much!
I also work very hard (even with the instability) to watch my cgm frequently and to prep myself for sleeping BGs. I would NOT want to live alone without a cgm. I have a Dex which is very close to my fingersticks much of the time. I tried to bold the 'cgm' but could not. To me, that is critical and essential for a T1D who lives alone and does not have someone frequently or at least regularly checking.

Hello SGrieco

You cannot protect him from growing, neither can you prevent him from moving to live entirely on his own, at some point. You received bad information.

Finances will likely prevent him for a brief time... but there is no validity of any kind to the belief/claim "diabetics cannot live on their own". The idea is flawed to the point of being ludicrous.

Lived on my own in college, several years of high school (a long story), and over a decade plus after college all solely on my own. Didnt have a single problem, which a roomate was ever "needed"/necessary.

Sorry, thats a bad premise...