Sick days, Pedialyte and correction questions?

Around 70 is the lowest he ever went. He never went extremely low thankfully. His BG would gradually and slowly go up since he was slowly sipping on juice and getting bites of crackers at a time. We just struggled to keep his BG up to what he normally stays which is around 95-105 pre-meal and at night. I was concerned at one point because when this bug first started we bolused for a meal (before I knew he was feeling as sick as he was) and then he threw up shortly after but we managed to get juice and crackers in him enough to cover it. I just constantly had him sipping juice and nibbling on crackers all day.

It is always hard to say not being in that exact situation.

That being said, I would tend to let the BG go where it wants to go.
You said you believe he is still in a Honeymoon Phase. As well, you are not giving bolus and have cut down on Basal.

If his BG wants to stay in the 70 range, that (IMHO) is perhaps where his body (still in Honeymoon specifically) wants to stay. Trying to push it higher may simply have his (perhaps still partially functioning endocrine system) working against you.

The cgm certainly makes this more convenient to monitor and have alarms appropriately set for unexpected BG whether it be high or low.

I would probably still set an alarm (phone wakeup alarm - not Dexcom) for myself (ie - Parent) every two hours at night and check as this (Sick Day) is certainly not a typical situation and things could change.

I kind of like your Endo’s advice to “… watch closely and wait …”. That makes sense to me given what you have described.

Also - I assume you have a Glucagon kit and have been trained in its use? This certainly is a great safety net to have in the case of sick days. In the event of a bolus and food followed by subsequent throwing up. Just knowing you have this ready (if needed) can be very helpful and perhaps reduce parental anxiety a bit.

2 Likes

Agree with @Tim35 :slight_smile: My guess is that, for whatever reason (which probably includes not eating much food for a while) his beta cells are able to crank at a high rate for a few days. Unfortunately it never lasts long.

In the future, when you see sickness coming, more often than not it is the opposite that you will see happen: much higher basal needs, sometimes astonishingly high. I have had to up my son’s basal by 150% or more occasionally (250%+ of normal basal).

Yes, we have a glucagon and have been trained. Yes, I still get up at night at least once or twice to check just in case. Going into this sickness, I was expecting super high BG because that is all I have read about since his diagnosis. I never once read about low BG until I started researching this after he got sick. I will be more prepared next time to watch for either!

Different situation but somewhat similar expectations. We went on a vacation to the Gulf Coast not quite a year after my daughter’s dx. Every parent I talked with told me to prepare for lots of lows. I packed enough juice boxes & glucose tabs for a small army. We didn’t use any of it. Not a single low. We battled highs all week.

Stomach bugs put real fear in most parents because of the lows. My “sick day cabinet” still stays stocked (items get rotated to keep them fresh) even though my daughter is away at college. Habit.