Skiing raises blood sugar

We have had lots of snow in the East, so we hit the slopes. After breakfast(no carbs), blood sugar was 110. Hydrated up with H2O, skied for 2.5 hours, blood sugar 287. What? Don't usually see this spike with or without exercise so what's going on. Level 3 skier.

For me personally (not much of a skier, very uncomfortable with it), skiing induces a complete stress-phobia. bg's go through the roof very quickly.

For me, any activity that causes an adreneline surge causes my BG to skyrocket as well. It's pretty common.

If you have no carbs for breakfast your body goes on starvation mode, in response to the starvation, the liver pumps a crapload of glucose in to your system, because the only way to feed the brain is with glucose from your blood. Your body is just looking out for your brain.

Two things would explain a similar outcome for me. 1) As others mentioned, if you don’t eat in the morning, it is very common for BG to go up. As I’ve said before, it takes more insulin for me to skip breakfast than to bolus for a 20-30 carb breakfast. 2) I find that when I do an exercise that I am not used to, my BG tend to go up, often quite dramatically. Once I get in shape for that exercise, it will tend to lower my BG.

Thanks for the feedback. I did have eggs and bacon pre ski, but I'll try 15 carb grams the next time we head to the hills. That may be a while as 50 degree temps over the last few days melted the snow.

This is my first winter with this so I’m still learning. I live in a cold climate and am noticing that my strips read substantially higher at colder temps then back to normal once meter and strips aren’t cold anymore. Using truetesult meter with truetest strips, wonder if that could have been factor on your ski trip?

Sking never really had much effect on my BG. I find it surprising how little exercise it often is. There is a lot of time waiting in lift lines, conversing, etc. If you are going hard and fast, then you may find some activity that lowers BG. I keep my basals the same or very minimally lower them. Did you make any basal adjustments?