So I Started a New Job Today

Back when I was 19 working at a Major Pizza restaurant and doing delivery, the 2nd manager in charge who was just flat out a complete ■■■■■■■, one day gave me a very hard time about me having to take care of my self and my disease, including insisting that I brought the condition onto my self, complete F%!(ING idiot.

Well as a delivery person, I also routinely delivered to the offces where the owners of the place were, I told one of them who understood my condition. He ran right out of the offices, drove straight to the restaurant, pulled that manager right aside and chewed his ■■■ out like you would never believe, including threatening to fire him if he gave me any trouble over the disease again. After that I never had a problem there again and was told by the owners them selves to take all the time I needed to take care of my self.

I was lucky to work for a place who one of the owners knows about Type 1.

As for you Queen, that sounds very much like the same boss I was just talking about, I would take full advantage of that, let it get worse, then you may find your self with an easy lawsuit win. Make an example out of that ■■■■■■■ and burn him to the ground! Perhaps even have a tape recorder on you to capture his discriminating remarks, that could become very powerful ammo in the courtroom.

Those are the break requirements, by law, in Wisconsin too. Isn’t that federal? Maybe something to check into!

I found this:

8. Q. What kind of breaks are required under Iowa law?
A. Iowa has no laws mandating breaks for adults. An employer does not have to pay you for a break during which you are completely relieved of your job duties. Your employer can require you to stay on the business premises during your break. Only the following breaks are required:
1. Minors younger than 16 must be given a 30-minute break if they are employed five hours or more in a day.
2. All employees must be allowed toilet breaks when needed.
3. Workers covered by union contract who don’t receive contract-promised breaks should contact their union representative.
4. Truck drivers should contact the Iowa Department of Transportation for regulations regarding breaks.
5. Certain other limited categories of workers, such as airline pilots, may be entitled to mandatory breaks under applicable regulations. Check with the appropriate regulatory agency for such regulations.

http://www.iowaworkforce.org/labor/wagefaqs.pdf

Since it seems no laws mandate breaks for adults in Iowa, your best bet might be to file for an accommodation. Don't wait, either - you have your health to think about.

Liz

I am sorry for what you are going through. I believe you can make it. Take a deep breath. I think you are afraid that you may go low in the day or that you may go high and you may lose control. I had that fear for the longest time and I surprised myself. You seem to have very good tight control and dont let working those full shift scare you. Let your work speak for itself and prove to people that we diabetics can do anything any normal person can. Just prepare yourself. Remember this disease is about being prepared. You know what your body can handle.

You can still test even with your situation. They cant deny you a bathroom breaks plus I see people take smoke brakes all the time at retail stores. If a person can take a smoke break to kill themselves I see no issue taking a quick testing break. So take a break. You dont have to tell people what you are doing in your break. I never heard a smoker tell their boss they need smoke breaks. They just take them. Dont have to take a full 15 minutes either just take a walk in a direction and test. Honesty up to a point dont tell all your history. I hate to say this as much as we would like the work place to make things better for us the world is not that nice to us. We can fight it but sometimes employers will come up with 101 excuses why they get rid of people.

So the first thing you have to do is watch and learn. See what other employees are doing. Remember if you test every two hours you may be ok. It takes like 30 seconds to test. I carry my meter every where I go. So if you need to test, take a bathroom break. Dont test in the bathroom that is kinda yucky. But on the way there. I have it down to where I can test with one hand while holding my meter. I do this while I walk around in grocery stores and department stores. I noticed most people dont notice anything. Always carry a small snack with you.

I worked on two habitat for humanity projects and I figured out how to keep bg's in check and did a few days in retail. I learn to always carry alcohol wipes and testing supplies to make any environment sterile. If a dispossible water bottle is what you can have then reuse, plus its better for the environment anyway. Think of creative ways to still function. The world is a cruel place and sometimes we have to be in the system to fight the system. Dont get disillusioned. Think about it if you can do this you can make it back to the corporate world where things are a little easier.

I am assuming you are ok and the day went through. You will get used to it again. If you made it today then see that as an accomplishment. Take pride on a full day of work.

take care

Lizmari, I'm sure sorry about this cruel and ironic twist, especially after waiting as long as you have to find work. Here are a few more thoughts, although many more are likely to come in.

You don't indicate whether you were hired as a temporary or permanent employee, but the organization is large enough that it must have an Employee Handbook containing every one of its policies. Typically, policies are instituted for permanent employees only, but the Handbook may include information for temp-to-perm hires. In any event, read it carefully to determine what you can expect according to your hire status, then proceed accordingly. Document EVERYTHING.

Someone mentioned that to be forewarned is to be forearmed; another queried whether federal or state laws apply, still another mentioned EEOC. Look into all avenues that may be available, including whether Iowa has an agency or nonprofit that deals specifically with disability and elder law issues (we have one in Colorado called the Legal Center for People with Disabilities and the Elderly), and whether Iowa is an employment at will state (neither employer nor employee must provide a reason for separation (leaving the job)).

Be aware that some industries are exempt from federal laws. I ran into a situation many moons ago where my employer at the time did not give breaks (or something like that), and I inquired with the EEOC. That's when I found out that there are certain exemptions from the so-called "protections" otherwise afforded by federal law.

Another possibility if you get nowhere with the manager is to consider going over his head and escalating action to the next level (probably a district manager).

Finally, if the situation ends in an unfavorable outcome for you -- and it very well may because the system is designed to work against the claimant -- take it to the press and share the details with every online community you belong to. No business can afford bad press, and if it's the outfit I'm thinking of they have a few black marks against them already (the most recent forced the resignation of its then-national Executive Director).

P.S. If this situation ends with a negative outcome and you share the details with me via PM, rest assured I will see to it that the outfit gets a sound shellacking via my personal network of nonprofit professionals. It will have little effect on getting your job back (as if you wanted to go back), but bad press is bad press regardless of where it shows up.

You should quit. When you take a job that is exploitative, it encourages employers to be able to exploit you and others.

What a jerk!!! I’m so sorry that you are going through such a hard time, yeah he sounds like a “good guy” alright! They need to at least set up a table in the back for employees! If I were you I would look into what the laws are in your state reguarding breaks. STAY STRONG, and I will pray for you and your situation and that the door may open for a new job opportunity for you. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

So Sorry U had to go thru this ,Lizmari. It breaks my heart to hear that U were mistreated. Other posters have given far more excellent advice than I can. I do want to give you an online hug of support and contimous prayers for your health and strength. I just know that somehow, things will get better for you. U are a strong and caring woman and I have faith in a good outcome from this TEMPORARY trial.

God Bless, my dear

Brunetta

It’s amazing how many nut cases get to be managers. So sorry LizMarie!

Don't let this guy beat you !!! Look at this way it's your daily work out and will make you stronger.

Be positive within yourself I feel for you GOOD LUCK

Yep. I call it “middle management syndrome” - a little bit of power goes to their heads.

Wow, how shocking! My suggestion: move to California (kidding…sort of)

I would contact HR. His actions are uncalled for an illegal.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/diabetes.html

What types of reasonable accommodations may employees with diabetes need?

Some employees may need one or more of the following accommodations:

• a private area to test blood sugar levels or to take insulin
  • a place to rest until blood sugar levels become normal(6)
  • breaks to eat or drink, take medication, or test blood sugar levels

Is it a reasonable accommodation for an employer to make sure that an employee regularly checks her blood sugar levels and eats or takes insulin as prescribed?

No. Employers have no obligation to monitor an employee to make sure that she is keeping her diabetes under control. It may be a form of reasonable accommodation, however, to allow an employee sufficient breaks to check her blood sugar levels, eat a snack, or take medication.

Hey Liz,

I saw your post title and I was so happy for you! Yah you finally found a job ...than I read the description. Oh my lord, your manager is an a-hole! First off, it is definatley not required of you to tell him of any your health problems unless it would danger you or some else on the job. Passing out on the job? Gimme a break - well, yeah, you would pass out if you couldn't sit down or have anything to eat. Even a non-diabetic could pass out then! Look at that stereotype in there - all diabvetics will be super sick all the time and passing out on you left and right.

I would say quit too but you know I understand and you need that money. What he said is illegal - you didn't have to tell him about your disease at the interview - plenty of diabetics keep their disease secret and workers never find out - why should it matter anyhow? Most people have some health problem they have to pop some pills for but do they mention it in interviews? Of course not - because than employers see you as flawed and it would lessen your chances of getting a job. Esp. in this economy - I sure the hell am not telling them anything. They can't fire you for having a disease - it is called discrimination. But of course they could use that as an excuse not to hire you - of course you are not going to tell him. What a moron! Anyhow, judging by his reaction to your news (unless he was just super stressed out and taking it out on you), I wonder if he would have not hired you. If it really wasn't that big of a deal to him and he would have hired you anyhow, as he stated, than why DID he get all wound up about it? Seems fishy to me.

Anyhow, I have few suggestions - first off, you should have a talk with him and assure him that as long as you can able to sit down occassionally and take a small break and have lunch that your diabetes will not be a problem or will not get in the way. Since there are no chairs to sit down on (there has to be one) - do you have a folding chair you can bring in for yourself? I don't know what this place is like - but I should hope that would not be a problem.

That 9:30 to 4 shift deserves some breaks esp. if you are on your feet all day - I thought that was a federal law. Even part timers get some breaks long enough where you could sit a small quick meal. To me, that amount of hours should have a lunch - even if just an unpaid 30 minute one.

This said too - remember this. It is only a job - your health is more important. Maybe this manager guy will be more understanding if he sees that you do a good job and you are responsible for your disease. I wonder if he is freaked out because he thinks now he has to take care of you.

I hope you second day goes better. I am surprised at the guys attitude - in 50 years half of the population will be diabetic probably - he better get used to it (could even be him). Hang in there girl!

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know this has been a very hard time for you and finally finding a job must have been very uplifting to you, a delightful Xmas present. Then to have this happen just ruined everything.

I know everyone has urged you to stand up and protect your rights, and we all know you have been one to speak your mind. But I guess I'd like to suggest that in this situation, perhaps you should work to develop a compromise. Your manager may be an a**h*le and may have broken the law, but this is a temporary position for the holidays, you don't need to lose your jobs and spend time and your limited personal energy in a drawn out level battle.

Consider making a compromise, get an agreement that you can bring an umbrella sitting stool and sit for a few minutes. Bring your own lunch and eat it while you work. Try to develop solutions that will satisfy you managers demands, but still meet your needs.

Sometimes, we have to choose our battles.

LOL! Had to laugh this. I wonder the same - there are some pretty bad managers and workers out there - how do these people get jobs and not me? Esp. in this economy where most good workers would kill to have a job and there are people out their complaining they hate their jobs (and they are honestly pretty bad at it). I say be thankful you have a job right now and be a better worker. Hindsight will be 20/20 in some of those cases.

Umm... it's not a temporary holiday job.

I've already started looking at working for other places more intensely... this place is awful. Today, he didn't even come in to the store... and then the other supervisors they did ■■■■ all day, and went across the street to McDonald's to get food, and sat on their asses most of the day... it was just frustrating.

I just have food I can shove in my mouth in 15 min, and leave it at that, I guess...

The ADA does say that a proper meal break for a diabetic is reasonable accommodation to manage their disease... It doesn't say anything that I have to put it in writing, it just says I have to request it... Bah... I'm just not gonna even bother. The guy us such a ■■■■■■■■■, and so full of himself...

That is cool that your new job is so accomodating! I work sort of on the other side of the complex, million dollar lawsuits, in the claim department at an insurance company. It's *extremely* interesting but there's a lot of stress and, as you meintioned, lawyers 'constantly riding my ■■■' too. Plus the people I work for. I like the people I deal with a lot though and, for sheer entertainment value, I think that it'd be hard to beat?

Working at a large company is good but I am also sort of a psycho about hardly ever calling in sick, like maybe 4 times in 14 years. Once I wasn't sick but knocked my teeth out in a bike wreck and worked the second day w/ 1/2 teeth and then got them fixed the following day @ lunchtime, came back and worked although I had some issues eating and talking b/c my jaw was still wiped out from the anesthetic? I totally try to be tougher than my coworkers.

Many folks have asked me for an update on this... And what I can tell you is that the place is a mad house! I have figured that this place is in no way worth my spit as far as fighting for some things... So I have instructed my husband to help me by making me half sandwiches with low carb bread, and a bag of nuts and meat stick bites to help supplement my calories in a 15 minute break. The stress has considerably raised my blood sugars 30+ points all around. I have already applied at other places of employment, and I have a job interview tomorrow.

At this place, there is a LOT of drama. The manager is always on the defensive, and will not let one finish one's sentences, just assuming what one's intentions might be: i.e., I may want clarification on a schedule post, and he may assume that I just want to demand days off, and will vocalize it as such. Some days, we (myself and the lady who got hired on with me) are told to work on the sale's floor, and then all of a sudden we are recriminated and questioned "Why are you working on the sales floor? You haven't passed a criminal background yet, and we don't let you work on the sales floor until you have... Get to the back room and hang clothes, and price them..."

Today was a day when we were told not to hang any more clothes... and not to worry about the roller racks which were sitting on the sales floor, because we would have enough additional employees to handle it... Go work bric brac, we were told... But then, more than half the day later (with just 2 hours left of the day) we got yelled at for "touching" bric brac, and told to go on the sales floor and help this guy "John" work the clothes... (after all morning working in the back on bric) because he hadn't been able to put away all clothes, and that if we didn't finish it all by the end of the day, that we would be given two forced days off for not getting it done.... And then he pulls us aside to say "Oh, don't worry about John, he's just lazy... don't help him in any way cus he's about to be fired and I don't want you dealing with him -- go to the back end receiving, and sit there, it's a slow day, and take a break... waiting for deliveries..." Almost two hours sitting on my butt doing nothing... While others take 30 smoke breaks a day, or McDonald's breaks... And then we are not allowed to purchase anything from the store, or allowed to take anything... (and that's fine... I accept that)... but then he yells at us if we even comment on how nice some donated item is... (don't take my money from me!, he says) yet he's always pushing things on us, too... Today he pushed on me candy, and three pairs of shoes... yesterday he tried to push tons of pastries, pies, donuts, etc on me. Luckily he left early, so I left it all there... It's like someone told him it was okay for us to have sugar, and he then maybe took it to mean we can gorge on sugar, or something... I dunno. :/

I don't like making assumptions about folks... but this manager does NOT seem right in the head... He takes it that we're unhappy that we're not getting 40 hours, and well... It's a little sad that we can't... but a job is a job is a job... I take 28 hours gladly... My problem is not that, at all... It's the insanity of it all... They say he likes his girls and his booze... so I really just don't want to be around that environment... when you haven't even worked there a full week and already people are volunteering information on you that you just wish you had never known! lol I should've known when, at the interview, they told me to "just stay away from drama, and everything will be okay." lol