So! I thought i was cured

So November 2008 I was told after feeling like I had the flue that I was “Diabetic” Got a few days worth of shots from nurse then told as I was an overweight 51 year old must be a T2 Diabetic. WOW! life-saving scary moment,
Back then found the TU group here. Became ultra-fit with help from peps here, cycled a lot, my wife ays became obsessive about been fit and eventually 5 years ago quit all meds, Doctors agreed I was all good

Now 5 years - Diabetes got angry and thought I will show you and hit me big time. before Xmas, I thought I know that feeling, blurring vision, got old meter out, wow 26Mmol, where did that come from?
Back to Docs, Mike, you have Diabetes, 3 weeks later I am on Insulin. feels good. I feel good blood glucose is an average of 6.2 Mmol. I cycle when I can. today 30km and loving life. What an A … hole disease but ladies and gents there is so many worst ways to suffer, I have lost 2 friends to cancer, what a horrible way to suffer. We don’t deserve what we have but could be a lot worse,

What I have learned is that while I may not be cured, there is no reprieve, but there is a lot worse hand I could have been handed, life is good

6 Likes

Good perspective on diabetes. Why diabetes sucks there are a lot of other conditions that suck way more. Granted if you don’t control your diabetes it will destroy your body.

1 Like

As one who found out they have cancer last July, I can say that I prefer diabetes by a long shot. Even before I found out about the cancer I have always said that I’m glad I have diabetes and not cancer.

1 Like

Mike, I am sorry you had this experience and diabetes came back despite your best efforts. Often, it’s just due to age and genetics. A similar thing happened to me. And, yes, there are worse things that can happen with your health. Diabetes is difficult but if you do your part, you can control it.

2 Likes

"Hey, Jean63, feel defeated but then Insulin rather than Metformin has proven to be a "New World"I was always sure that metformin caused me joint pain. Worked for some time but eventually, as BCE here predicted I would be on Insulin in a few years.
“D” is frustrating, I am a control freak and cannot control “D”, but have learned to deal with it

Well, being a control freak makes for a good diabetes patient! Metformin is a good drug, if you can tolerate it. I’ve heard they are looking at it because it might lower cancer incidence…

Meanwhile, my Victoza at dose 1.2 is working very well. I seem to be losing some much needed weight. I hope it keeps up.