So over it

Does anyone just look at the sensor going straight down and you just sit there because you’re done with it?

1 Like

yes, but often the desire to feed eventually emerges with a vengeance.

2 Likes

Yep, just happened. My AC is also out and the mowers outside sound like murder hornets.

5 Likes

Lol…@mohe0001 Love it!!!

Mine…

To H^^^ with it, I want to finish what I’m doing…nope, not doing it… I;m finishing what I’m doing…pay attention to me NOW!!! NOW!!! NOW!!!

2 Likes

Yep, that’s me! I just want to ignore it! But as @mohe0001 says, eventually there is no ignoring it!

Sorry @Elyssia_Reedy I know your feeling and without AC probably makes it worse!! I’m without AC too but do have a fan!

2 Likes

The worst is when I climb into bed, just drifting off to sleep, then the alarm goes off. I never feel like getting back up to deal with it.

7 Likes

I only use the low alarm on Dexcom which can’t be turned off. First alarm I ignore, second alarm if I feel fine (no finger stick) I just add 15-20 points to reading, if alarm goes off again then again add 15-20 points (no finger stick) to reading. That usually does it and find when I calibrate in the morning at 8 AM, the reading on Dexcom is still lower than finger stick. That is on G5 sensor.

2 Likes

On my pump it tends to have several alarms at once and u gotta listen to each one as you clear it. I clear alarms in. Y sleep all the time and I don’t even remember. I’ll clear a 60 rapidly falling and not know it till I wake up in a full sweat.
We get too used to it and we can go into automatic mode.
Kinda defeats the purpose.

3 Likes

You mean you calibrate it 15-20 points higher to what it is reading? I never thought to do that! I suppose if you don’t feel fine you do actually correct with carbs though! :wink:

Yes, agree, that’s the danger of too many alarms! I just use the urgent low which on Dexcom cannot be disabled.

Yes and no. You may call it calibration, but I don’t. To me calibration on the G5 is when you enter a number for BG twice and then the receiver reads that number. When I get the alarm, I just enter the number once and then the receiver reads 1/2 way between where it was and what I entered and treats the algorithm slightly differently than a calibration. Rinse and repeat as required.

I am very sensitive to true lows and deal with them the same way as before I had a CGM. If I have a true low, I do a finger stick and then eat 1 Swedish fish candy for each 10 points of BG I want to raise my BG.

My problem is when I intermittent fast for more than 24 hours, my blood sugar (with no food and no insulin) flat lines at 60. Dexcom algorithm periodically drops that 60 flat line to anywhere between 38 and 44. Sometimes for 5-10 minutes and sometimes up to an hour if you just let the receiver scream at you every 5 minutes. I once posted that my belief is that Dexcom built that in so that if you drop to 60, it will shut off insulin in case you are looped to a pump to avoid liability issues of allowing patients to go too low. I took a lot of heat for that one on this forum.

In essence, I only use my CGM to control high events and wish I could set the high alarm to between 100 and 110 but, alas, 120 is the lowest high alert that can be enabled.

1 Like

Wow, well that is nearly 50% off so yes, you’d want to calibrate then for sure. I’ve read that Dexcom does not handle low BGs as accurately as they could. Anything under 40 shows up as Low. But of course, there is a huge difference between 40 and 60!

Prior to switching to Loop on iPhone, I used xdrip+ on my Android phone which has very customizable alarms, a great feature. You can even disable the Dexcom alarms all together.

I tried to use x-drip on my HTC U12+ android phone but it is not compatible so most functions don’t work.

1 Like

Oh, sorry to hear that. I still use it on my old Samsung Galaxy Note 4, but only for viewing data, not as a collector. Non standard implementations of Android Bluetooth is usually the culprit supporting a broad range of phones but I hadn’t heard of any problems with HTC phones. I do see some issues with the HTC 10 phone:

https://gitter.im/jamorham/xDrip-plus?at=5e2df808f196225bd662309b

You could ask on hitter if anyone else has issues with your phone. People are usually very helpful. I apologize if you’ve already tried this.

1 Like

I think we all do. I guarantee that there is no such thing as someone who doesn’t follow the rules. Some of the times that I do this most (as far as the sensor goes) is when it is calibration time. If I’m getting out of bed in a couple hours anyway, I’ll just wait, I don’t care if I have a few less numbers. But one thing (and I think this is something that should be changed in the pump software itself) that sometimes frustrates me is the Max Delivery & Min Delivery when my number is perfect. If my number is staying close to 120, I don’t care if you give me no insulin or a huge amount! Isn’t having a good number the ultimate goal? So if I’m at my goal, what are you complaining about? It’s one thing to alert me if you’re giving me 0 insulin at 50 or a lot at 300, but if my number is good, just keep doing what you’re doing, I don’t care what that is!

I totally understand that feeling.

I’m curious, what type of pump do you wear if you don’t mind me asking?

I use a Medtronic 670G. The Max Delivery & Min Delivery are features enabled by Auto Mode (maybe other brands use a different term, but this is just what the 670G calls it), the feature that automatically & dynamically adjusts the basal rates. But when Max Delivery & Min Delivery occur, it disables Auto Mode until you do another Meter BG (in some cases, if you wait long enough, it might reenable Auto Mode, but you shouldn’t need to wait when there was no problem anyway).

I used to wear that pump as well but switched to the TandemX2. Honestly I think it does a much better job once you get your rates set. I thought you might have a Medtronic pump from some of the things you mentioned. This is just a personal opinion and experience but I do feel like I get much better care with the Tandem pump! In the future I might consider looking into it if you haven’t already but I do know some people that like Medtronic better so it’s good to keep all those reviews in mind.