So the Medtronic rep said to me

My son is still using his Animas too. Glad to see he isn’t the only one taping his pump together! He has two Cozmo back ups when the Animas dies. A new pump won’t happen until he gets new coverage.

1 Like

I think this article is about delivering cancer/chemo drugs via implanted pump.

I tried the 670G for a month and spent that month fighting almost constant ketoacidosis as infusion set after infusion set stopped working averaging about every 20 hours. We (trainer, tech line, endo, etc.) made every sort of adjustment that there was to make; we replaced the pump; we replaced insulin, we changed lot numbers of supplies; we changed settings; we changed infusion set types, etc. but nothing made a difference - my body consistently stopped receiving infused insulin in less than a day. When pulled, the sets were fine - no crimps, no blockages, and they flowed insulin - and even on brand new, never before used locations, my body seemed to ‘wall off’ the infusion site from letting the insulin through. My body also began to show other signs of some sort of a systemic reaction/rejection - and I have seldom felt more ill, nor so so close to dying since I was diagnosed 26 years ago! My cardiologist and my endocrinologist ran other sorts of tests to see if there were some other systemic cause they could identify - and came up with nothing. So, I stopped using the 670G, returned to my Animas Ping - and over the next 2 days my body stabilized, the infusion sets lasted and I received - and continued to receive the infused insulin. Once whatever it was that my body was rejecting was removed, my body returned to normal. I have had absolutely no problems back on my Ping. Sets are lasting the 4 and 5 days they were before; my blood glucose levels are in control with no unexplained highs that would not respond to treatment, my body chemistry has returned to normal - so whatever it was causing my problems is something specific to the 670G. It seems that there is something that is in contact with the insulin in the pump that is mixing in with the insulin and my body is reacting to and rejecting what it views as a ‘contaminant’. Since the infusion sets for Animas, Medtronic and Tandem are manufactured in Mexico by the same manufacturer even with their differences, the only distinctly different component that comes in contact with the insulin is the cartridge/reservoir. Animas cartridges were made in Singapore; Medtronic reservoirs are made in Puerto Rico and Tandem makes theirs in their own factory in San Diego. So, there appears to be something in the plastic of the Medtronic reservoir that is also mixing in with the insulin and my body prevents it from entering my body which means the insulin is also getting blocked. While Medtronic says no one else has ever had this problem, I have read a number of other accounts in various forums that indicate otherwise and I am not the only one who has stopped using this pump because of this. So, my word of advice to those who want to transition from Animas to Medtronic is to keep in mind that you may need to back out of the deal if the pump doesn’t work for you. This is important - you have a very limited period of time in which to ‘test run’ the 670G and decide if it will work for you or not. Medtronic will not accept a return 30 days after they mail the pump to you: not after you receive it or start using it: not after a defective pump is replaced - but after the date they mail the first pump to you. Do NOT send in your Animas pump or supplies in exchange until you know for sure that you will want to stay on this pump because you cannot get them back. I needed to back out of the exchange and discovered I couldn’t. I tried too long to make this pump work and lost my return window. They had mailed me my first pump March 1st. I received it March 5. I received my training on the first available date with my trainer which was March 12. Problems started on March 13th and never stopped. On March 21st they said they would replace the first pump as defective; My replacement pump arrived March 23 and I started using it - and the problems continued. I finally gave up April 9th. In spite of being in constant contact with them through all of the ongoing problems, Medtronic could not have cared less. I missed their cut off date by 9 days. So, I am back on an old Animas pump, have privately negotiated for a newer one, and have been stockpiling supplies to cover me after supplies are no longer available in September until insurance will cover a new pump (Tandem) in January 2021 . Fortunately, a lot of people who have transitioned to other pumps are finding new homes for their no longer needed supplies, but I suspect there will be a number of us hanging on to our Pings and Vibes until they literally no longer work. And I do have my backup MDI supplies in the fridge - just in case.