Some thoughts about a plant empowered diet

What does everyone else think about a plant empowered diet and the whole Forks Over Knives movement?

For me, I truly believe eating natural, organic, unprocessed foods is something that I should aim for. The expense of it makes it a bit difficult but like everything in my Diabetes, it's a work in management.

If you don't know what I mean by Forks Over Knives, there's more information in my blog post here and there's also a longer explanation about my thoughts surrounding this!

Would really be interested in what others think though!

My niece has been doing Gerson for 12 years, she has meselthelioma. The tumour has grown and is now inoperable. Please, please find a better guru than Gerson. It might interest you to know that he died of cancer, his diet is supposed to cure cancer as well as diabetes.

I think people need to do what is best for them, both health-wise and emotionally. If you think, vegetarianism or veganism is for you, it's totally worth transitioning into. As for me, I'd love to be eating a vegan diet like my spouse does. But my BGs get messier when I don't get a lot of protein, and I'm allergic to most of the non-vegan protein sources. You can find a balance that works for you and your meter.
As for the being expensive part, it can be if you're buying pre-made meals. Yet there's a bunch of stuff that don't cost much - like beans and (don't cringe) tofu. Even veggies can be reasonable when you buy what's on sale. Find recipes that use sauces and spices that are similar to what you've eaten regularly in the past. Your library might have some good cookbooks to give you ideas. There are even some that have nutritional information listed, although not most. "Appetite for Reduction" by Moscowitz, "Carb-Conscious Vegetarian" or most of Nava Atlas's cookbooks will list carbs and proteins and such for you.

OK, my brain was foggy this morning and there were a few typos (like I'm allergic to many vegan proteins but not dairy or eggs), but I think you get the idea...

I'm sorry to hear about your niece Pastelpainter, I definitely don't think Gerson is a Guru, I was just trying to keep my comments about it fairly neutral. Eating food that is unprocessed, doesn't contain many additives etc interests me but I know especially for me as a Type 1 Diabetic, that Gerson's therapy is just a joke. It's interesting because when it comes down to it Forks over Knives stems from a food over medicine approach, you can see it in the poster, a fork over a scalpel. I'm insulin dependent, food won't ever change that!

Thanks for the book recommendations Roodgirl! I've got a few cookbooks and look at a lot of recipes online but it's definitely way more helpful when they have nutritional information listed.