Sotomayor Nomininated to Supreme Court-- Type 1 since Age 8!

We coincide with some of the previous replies: it is important to keep the political discussion out of this topic. As seen in previous topics in the forum, politics has the potential to take entire topics down a path we’d rather not see in the community.

Let’s keep the discussion alive, focusing on the diabetes issues and away from political matters.

While Sotomayor’s diabetes has brought the disease to the center of the news coverage in the past few days (something good for the purpose of raising diabetes awareness and demonstrating that people in important positions can live healthy lives with diabetes), I personally hope that the selection of the new US Supreme Court justice is done taking into account all the necessary qualifications that are required to be the best Supreme Court justice possible.

With all due respect for Dr. Bernstein’s comments (it’s good he’s quoted as seeing himself as an extremist), considering her A1c has been reported to be consistently under 6.5%, I feel the questioning of her qualifications on the basis of her diabetes control is out of place and shifting the debate away from other matters that need to be discussed in order to select the next person for the post.

As a Independent that has alway voted pro-life I would say she is not qualified. this is the letter I wrote to my Senators in Arkansas:

I am asking you to oppose the nomination of Sonia Sotomayer for the Supreme Court.You have been an independent voice in your party for some time to speak up when it counts. (Blanche Lincoln and Mark Pryor)
These are some of the reasons I oppose her to be seated on the Supreme Court of the United States of America:
1)Her rulings show she doesn’t interpret the laws but tries to legislate from the bench.
2) Her belief that the 2nd Amendment does not give individuals the right to bear arms.
3) Her belief that the unborn, which have no voice to speak to speak with like women do, don’t have the right to “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness” supporting the right of women to kill their children. President Obama promised to make a litmus test out that his nominees will be pro-choice so I believe he knows her position.
4) With 5 Roman Catholics on the Court and the history of repression by their church of others who disagree with them do you think it is a good idea for them to have a sound majority of 6 on the Supreme Court? Isn’t it time to have more religious diversity more representative of the population of the USA on the Supreme Court? Please see: http://www.adherents.com/adh_sc.html to compare the statistics comparing this to the American population.
5)I am concerned therefore if faiths that do not fit into the “Orthodox” fold will be treated with respect when accused of being a cult by the cult watchers among us. As a member and minister of the Assembly of Yahweh www.asemblyofyahweh.com or www.search-the-scriptures.org or www.eliyah.com ,and my own forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/echadone/ this truly concerns me.
I know you will take this into consideration since these issues are vital to the constituents in your state who tend to be even as Democrats more in line with the values I above espoused as a registered voter.

I didn’t vote for Bush either time he ran by the way!

Sorry I read the admonision too late. Delete it if you like but I don’t see tha diebetis will be the issue that will cause the Republicans to try to topple her. It will be those divisive political issues! The compassion of people I question is those that would paint the opposition in this manner!

This discussion is being closed due to the fact that it has gone into political territory that goes beyond the scope of the community.

The comment that prompted the closure has been removed, since it was posted well after the earlier call to keep political comments out of the topic.