SSRI/SNRI causes T1D?

Anyone have any input on this? My consultatnt thought I should share it on the forum and see what other people think?

I tried SSRI (paroxetine) for couple years on and off. I was off the drugs for couple years and then I decided to try SNRI drug first Effexor and then Cymbalta/Dulexotine. I took it for about 2 years. Taking this drug felt horrible. When I finally managed to got off of it (with extreme withdrawl symptoms).

Immediately after getting off the drug I had these leg pain and tingling in my feet and was was diagnosed with Type 1 insulin dependent diabetes. I was 30 at the time and have no history of Diabetes in my very large extended family. Love to hear from anybody with more to say about this…

Something tells me my usage of SSRI and mainly the SNRI is what brought about my T1D diagnosis. Anybody else with similar story? What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks

I also found this article which freaked me out even more.

Let me consult with someone from a different patient community who might have a deeper knowledge base/experience on this stuff…I will post any reply (but, the info isn’t gonna be coming from me because I have no idea.) Shoot! I got no info back.

1 Like

A Meta Study from 2017 examined this. I was just rereading it. The Meta Analysis did show some positive correlation. However, as of 2017 and later ones I recall looking at have not found causation. Remember association is not causation. For instance are people using SSRI’s have more blood work? If so then it is possible diabetes is a condition discovered because the patient is using SSRI’s. Here is anther factor do people who feel badly seek the use of these mediations? Do they perhaps feel bad because they are or could be PWDs? I cannot put much alarm in the findings that just cannot show causation.

This is the full conclusion statement of the 2017 study I refer too.

Conclusion

This updated meta-analysis confirms the association between AD use and incident diabetes. While it still remains a matter of debate whether this association is causal or not, in our opinion none of the biases proposed by previous authors seem able to fully explain it. It is also unclear whether single ADs exert a different effect on the risk of diabetes. Future studies should be aimed at evaluating the impact of single ADs on the incidence of diabetes; given the possible heterogeneity of effect, we suggest that a classification of ADs according to their pharmacological profiles could be useful in better elucidating the nature of this association.

The full 2017 Meta Study can be found at:

1 Like

Thanks for that. Isn’t this article referring to Type 2? I was asking about Type 1. I was diagnosed right after using SNRI and previously SSRI.

Yes that article is concerned with T2 diabetes. I conducted a 5 index search for type 1 and SSRI, I usually only look in the last five years unless I am looking for a specific journal or article. The Indices I looked at included:

DOAJ
ProQuest
BSCO Information Services
PubMed
EBSCO Information Services

Each one includes more than 100 journals. However I could not locate a single article discussing the onset of T1 and the use or stopping the use of SSRI’s.

Now that does not mean they do not exist or that a link has not been established or studied. Others with more time or better eyes might see an article.

I remind everyone that I also did not find the true cause of all T1 onset. It is beyond a doubt that one true cause of T1. I am living proof of the cause and I have been on a mission for over 45 years to rein this menace in.

What you may ask is this international menace? Well I am glad you did. The root cause of all T1 diabetes is DisneyWorld.

#DISNEYOWESMEAVACATION
#DISNEYCAUSEDMYDIABETES

Oh and by the way you can read about it here if you wish.

2 Likes

How about this article?

It says it may AD may cause autoimmune.

I am not saying AD causes T1D.
What I am saying is that if I weren’t to take this (unnecessarily prescribed) AD, they I probably wouldn’t get T1D.
I imagine need a concert of things to end up with lucky number with this disease. So the AD in my case did it.

I forgot to add link to article. Here it is.
It says AD cause autoimmune disorders.

If only I read this before taking those dreadful pills.

1 Like

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN1JF2ZA

Hello All

Can anybody please have anything to say on this matter? It’s really on my mind and I am looking for others input.

I’m afraid the lack of response is because it’s not something many of us (any of us?) are informed on. The population here does turn, though. It doesn’t hurt to keep bumping the topic so someone who CAN comment might see this.

I will throw this out, though… Diabetes theories/understanding is constantly evolving.
Our best current theory is that it is brought on by a genetic pre-disposition triggered by an immune response, such as might occur with a viral infection. While anything may be possible, it’s also possible that it has been undiagnosed in your family tree, or that there are recessive genes involved and you finally won the genetic lottery, or even that you developed a new gene mutation pre-disposing you to diabetes. Until recently, we didn’t even know adults could develop type 1.

It’s okay to pursue your line of questioning, but I don’t think it will do you much good in the long run. Nothing good can come from harboring blame/anger. Honestly, you’ve got little chance of winning a legal battle, if that’s your goal. Just because you can draw a correlation between the drug and diabetes, doesn’t mean you can PROVE causation. They’re simply not the same thing without a glut of evidence.

Your best bet is to just learn to accept your new way of life. In all honesty, this is a great time to be diagnosed. The tools to manage diabetes available today are simply amazing. It’s no longer a wasting disease where you’re just trying to survive. You can live a really long, happy, healthy, successful life now, with minimal effort on your part. And technology is evolving so fast, I can’t even imagine what is coming for us in the near future.

4 Likes

There are many causes for T1. I have never taken the drugs you mention nor any other drugs except an occasional aspirin and not many of those. In my case it is genetic. My grandmother had T1. My mother developed T1 in later years. I got T1. None of my 3 children have T1. None of my 10 grandchildren have T1, except one grandson did recently develop rheumatoid arthritis, another autoimmune disease. Is it the food we eat, the pollutants we breath, the chemicals in the water we drink? Who knows! 'Nuff said. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This debate has been around since at least 2013. So to start with, it is not a new question.

In 2017 there was a large study that seemed to indicate that people who use antidepressants had a higher incidence of type 2 diabetes. I did not find a seminal study about T1 and antidepressants, in fact on Google scholar I did not find a single one. I imagine one exists, I just did not see it.

OK so what is the evidence behind T2 and the use of SSRI / SNRI medications? Well i found over 50 such studies and I did not read them all but at least up until 2017 the consensus was the use of these drugs was not in any way shown to be the cause of T2.

Now, a discussion. There is a big difference between causation and association. Almost all studies reflects association. Meaning that people who use these medications also have a slightly higher incidence of T2. Well to understand the association I ask if who sees the doctor more? A PWD or a non PWD? Do people who see doctors more have a greater or lessor probability of being on these medications?

If you say greater then we can understand what an association is all about. Seeing a doctor does not cause depression or diabetes but seeing if you see one routinely you might be more likely to be Dx’d with depression or diabetes. While that may sound simplistic I think it is important to think of other reasons associations between T2 and SSRI / SNRI medications might exist.

Still is this useful information? Well maybe. You see all study starts with an acknowledgment of association. The hard part is the causation. but it starts with association. That is where we are with this issue. There appears to be an association. Not much more.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response. Quite sensible and encouraging… although at the moment I feel like life isn’t worth living anymore…

BTW do you think my suspicion that the drugs caused my T1 is ridiculous…I’d hope so bc the guilt is unbearable.

In my very humble opinion, I think it is exceedingly unlikely the drug gave you diabetes. I would never dare say it’s impossible, though.

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time with this diagnosis. I promise you’re not the first to struggle. That’s why it’s so great to have a supportive community. It might sound cliché, butthings really will get better. I’m grateful every single day that I didn’t give into the depression this caused me in my youth. I love my life and after 30 years of living with type 1, I’ve never felt better.

2 Likes

I doubt the two have anything to do with each other. Besides, everyone knows that T1 is caused by going to Disney World.

#DisneyGvaeMeDiabetes

#DisneyOwesMeAVacation

That actually made me laugh. My one and only visit to Disneyland was a few months before I was diagnosed! I was definitely already sick, though. I was at the ravenous and still losing weight stage, and my parents will never let me forget what it cost to feed me in the park!

1 Like

Thanks for both of your encouraging words. I really do hope it didn’t cause it… getting this very annoying 24/7 disease for no apparent reason is one thing…but knowing you may have caused by taking a (unnecessary) drug is unbearable feeling to live with.

It does help though to hear you can still love life with this.

P.S. I am part of a very large family and nobody ever heard of this thing before.

Had you been to a Disney property anytime in the 90 days before DX? They may owe you a vacation s well. :slight_smile:

The usual lore is that T2 tracks in families a lot more than T1. I got the sudden-onset version of T1 when I was 28. Also unknown in my large extended family at that time. More recently there has been one other case, my first-cousin’s daughter, and that’s it. In my case it may have been triggered by a case of flu I’d had earlier in the fall.

And I didn’t go to Disneyland until years later, so I can’t confirm the @Rphil2 hypothesis on that.