Starting Basal Insulin TONIGHT!

Yes, 2 units of long-acting is a small amount, but you are also in the honeymoon period, so good to start with such a small amount and increase gradually. My general rule for myself is to have my blood sugar greater than 100 mg/dl when I go to bed, to try to avoid nighttime lows.

The only difference between supper and bedtime dosing is which is easier for you, and maybe which time will be easier to remain consistent. If you are worried, get up at 2 AM and do a BS test, especially if you havn’t been doing 2 AM tests. That will give you an idea of what your liver is doing between 2 and waking. My endo always told me not to go to bed below 100, I would suggest that too, until you know how you will react to the long term insulin.

I LOATHE the 2 am test. However, it is the best way to know what is going on :slight_smile:

So Humalog lasts 28 days once opened, does Levemir last 28 or 42 days after opened??

Good luck LilMama!

I’m sure! Def will be doing a lot of 2am and basal testing.

I use Levemir in two doses. I’ve found the potency remains for 6-8 weeks. It may last longer, but I don’t want to push it that far.

Thanks acidrock!

Like Zoe, I don’t snack before bed either. I think eating before bed & the ADA snack between meals thing is a hold over from the days of NPH insulin, which is infamous for unpredictable lows. With correct basal doses, there’s no need to eat before sleep or between meals.

Basal & bolus can be taken at the same time. They work at different rates. Rotate your injection sites.

Thanks Lynne, glad to see you are doing much better what a relief!! I went to bed last night at 176 took two units and woke up at 115 which I think for only 2 units is pretty darn good!

Yeah, correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Using Insulin says to eat something to raise your bg to 100 before bed,

Thanks Gerri! I’ve been trying to rotate side of my stomach because thats where I prefer to inject, hope thats enough rotating!

Yeah my doctor told me at small doses of Levemir it doesnt last the full 24 hours but just to take it once a day and I the lapse in coverage can be covered by my dinnertime insulin, which is fine with me right now until I get the hang of all of this! I wonder how many hours people on average get out of the levemir??

Please also start using other spots besides your stomach. Developing scar tissue is a real problem.

Well, I agree with Gerri, I rotate spots all the way around the back as far as I can reach. However, for my basal I “only” use my abdomen, I don’t rotate in other sites like my arms and legs as I don’t have much body fat and don’t feel I can reliably inject into the bodyfat layer on those other sites. I might bolus on the arms and legs without worry, but I would not have the assurance that I am properly injecting into bodyfat.

So try to inject around to my sides as far as I can reach and upper buttocks as well??

OK, that’s me. I take about 65% basal and 35% bolus. I’m doing reduced carb, and the only time they approach 50-50 is when I eat a restaurant meal with carbs, when I have to bolus more. And then I’m careful to eat very little the next day, so I won’t gain weight. I don’t know what the doc is going to say – the CDE I saw today was very emphatic about the need for carbs for energy. But I don’t see any difference in energy between when I was eating carbs freely and now, but I do see a definite lowering of BGs.
Guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

Thats what I think too! Keep up the good work!

Thats AWESOME Lynne!! Are you doing mealtime insulin yet?

So is basal just extended release insulin?? Does this mean you go low more slowly and you can just eat a snack not like when on bolus and you go low you must have very fast acting carbs?