Still a shortage?

Is anybody still having trouble getting their novolog refilled? My brother uses CVS in MA, and he ran out of insulin last week. They found 2 vials at another store, but his 3-month scrip is for 11 vials, and they still don’t have any more.

2 Likes

I dont know why this is coming up with CVS? I use Kroger and they gave me a three month supply (6 vials) last week. They don’t even usually give me a three month so? Everyone keeps mentioning CVS…

Maybe it has something to do with the CVS restructuring (closing lots of stores). This is a recent local story about it, but I think its happening nation wide. https://www.startribune.com/cvs-to-close-pharmacies-in-dozens-of-target-stores/600334435/

"They are among the 900 locations CVS said in 2021 it would close over the next three years. It has shuttered 600 pharmacies since then and plans to close another 300 this year, including fewer than 100 inside Target stores…

He pointed the finger at under-reimbursement for filling prescriptions.

“About 60% of our prescriptions we dispense are well below our costs,” he said. “How long can we do that?” "

There is currently VERY heavy lobbying by small pharmacies. Somethings up in pharmacy. They are very, very angry and they have been providing testimony, similar to the diabetic groups, re: PBMs at FTC meetings. They have been striking a little bit.

Let me ask one of the pharmacy “consultants,” and see if he can tell us because I don’t know the answer.

I use Walgreens, and the pharmacist told me that their new policy is to never carry brand name insulin in stock anymore. Only the generic. If your prescription calls for brand name, they will order it for you which usually takes a few days. But yeah, you won’t be able to just run into the pharmacy to pick up a vial. Ask your doctor about getting a prescription for the generic version and check your insurance coverage. I don’t remember the name of the generic for humalog and I don’t know if there is one for novolog, but I suspect CVS is doing the same thing as Walgreens

The couple day delay at Walgreens is normal here in Central Fllorida; I just call a couple days before the refill is due.
BUT……last week I called for my normal 90 da, 5 vial refill and they only gave me one vial, 20 days worth, and told me to call back after 15 days for another. Pharmacist said that both Novolog and its generics are out of stock at their manufacturers.

Well, my brother did call several days before he ran out, and they told him it had to be ordered. When he went to pick it up, they still didn’t have any, but found 2 bottles at another store, so they transferred his scrip to that store, and he picked up the 2 bottles. Then, the first store said it was still on order and to come back in a few days, which is when they told him it hadn’t come in yet. Both of the CVS stores are in great locations and neither is in danger of closing.

Unfortunately, my brother has several disabilities and this is not easy for him to handle.

My doctor always wrote my scrip for more than I need, so I always have an extra bottle oomr two on hand, and he can use humalog in a pinch. But I moved to CT last year, and I’m no longer close enough for him to borrow a bottle from me.

Sadly, I don’t think there’s any good answer to this, as he says his doctor won’t change his prescription to allow for an extra bottle. Seems kinda dumb to me, but it is what it is.

There is an answer, not a great answer, but it may be worth your peace of mind. Ask the doctor for a written prescription. That way, the doctor will give you a written prescription while sending your RX to your pharmacy. If the doctor asks why the written prescription, you can tell him about planned travel outside the US, show customs during travel, in case of an accident, etc.

While waiting for your local prescription to be filled or partially filled, order your insulin from a Canadian online pharmacy and send them a copy of your handwritten prescription. You can’t do that with a US pharmacy because in the US, the pharmacies all know what you have picked up from another US pharmacy, but with Canada, there is no cross-border checking of what was picked up in the US vs. Canadian pharmacy. Insulin in Canada at retail cost is a fraction of the identical insulin in the US.

@Ruth4 I have always been prescribed enough to have an extra bottle/pen every time too. Has your brother considered using a mail order pharmacy since his store isn’t reliable?

I got my usual Novolog order the first week of January without a problem. Shipped from Florida.

I haven’t had a problem since I started using a pump in 2022.

I just ordered from Costco, they have stock at my location.

Thanks to all of you who’ve suggested ways to acquire extra insulin. Unfortunately, he has rejected all possible solutions as impossible to do. He’ll have to figure it out on his own.

May want to check if local Walmart has their branded novolog. Would probably be cash pay, not with insurance.

1 Like

I cannot believe my eyes (ears or eyes)! I’m assuming that these posts are from folks in the USA (FL, MA, etc. mentioned). How the H E double toothpicks is it possible for T1D’s in the USA having trouble getting insulin??? Is it made from a rare earth metals that China has virtually the largest access to? I am having trouble with this one. CVS, despite all the closures and restructuring (I have thoughts about that but let’s not go there just now) can’t get insulin to its patients? If the supplier is short that is one thing and would certainly be a reason CVS could not obtain it. But if that is true why on earth are the pharma’s that produce insulin unable to produce a necessary supply?

Signed, Dumbfounded? (Steve)

@MM1 posted an article talking about a shortage in the other Novolog shortage thread.

I remember always being surprised when my pharmacy was out of R and NPH. Many years and trips to the pharmacy later I don’t expect them to have anything in stock. Some tips I’ll use when the trip to the pharmacy isn’t going well.

• Ask for an ETA
  • Ask to be notified when the entire order has arrived
  • Do not accept partial refills
  • If the person I’m talking to can figure out how to do what I need I’ll politely ask them to ask a more experience co-worker and let them know I’m willing to wait.
  • Going to a less convenient pharmacy is worth the inconvenience if they can be trusted to not make mistakes.
  • Pharmacies are made up of people. People can make mistakes. Sometimes groups of people don’t work well together. Look past the brand of the pharmacy at the team behind the counter and decide if you can trust them with your insulin supply.

(edit: Bullet 4 removed “it”)

1 Like

I haven’t had any issue with CVS. I just received my 90 day supply and I live in a small town.

1 Like

50 years ago a month’s worth of insulin was almost always filled from what was already in the fridge at the pharmacy if it was “just” a vial of Lilly Beef/Pork R/N/L. If it was anything else then it was special order and took a couple days.

In the past 20 years this has radically changed. There are many more brands/generics/concentrations/delivery methods for insulin than when I was a kid. There’s no way a retail pharmacy will have 90 days yet-unallocated-to-a-specific-patient supply of every variety on hand, the fridge simply isn’t big enough. Many orders for 90 days supply (for those who can get a 90 day supply) seem to work to a weekly timescale.

1 Like

I think he should have a conversation with his doctor. It’s unreasonable that he has no cushion. Everyone should have at least a vial or two extra at the end of 90 days. There are so many things that can happen — I dropped a vial on the floor once and it broke, to name just one very mundane example. I believe the doctor would understand if the situation were explained patiently. If not, switch doctors.

4 Likes

I agree that he should have a conversation with his doctor. At my last Endo’s office, before she retired, she always had manufacturer’s “samples” on hand that she freely gave to those who needed a “back-up” vial of insulin just for the emergencies that Tnyc mentioned above. If the doctor does not have samples to give out, then he needs to ask the doctor for a one-time prescription for two extra vials.

2 Likes