Lilly announces shortage of Humalog and Lispro 10mL vial

Humalog.com and lillyinsulinlispro.com have banners linking to this vague and undated Lilly announcement

… The 10 mL vials of Humalog® and Insulin Lispro Injection are or will be temporarily out of stock at wholesalers and some pharmacies through the beginning of April. We are continuing to manufacture 10 mL vials of these products and will ship them as soon as we can. In the meantime, all other Lilly insulin products – including Humalog and Insulin Lispro Injection in prefilled pens (KwikPen®) – are currently available in the U.S. …

I’m not sure if this is new or a continuation of last years shortage. Personally I’m a little concerned, but not yet worried, about this combined with the Novolog shortage from earlier this year. Tudiabetes Still a shortage? and drugs.com

Oh my gosh! Look how cute that 10mL vial is. I want one. I want to make earrings out of them. I’ve never seen one before. They are adorable. How can we get more?

It’s not an insulin shortage because you can still get the 100mL vials, right? Same price because of the cap. You think they have a shortage of the 10mL containers to put it into?

I’m not sure that we ever saw formal shortages. This might have been characterized as a failure by an individual pharmacy. When covid started, my pharmacy ran out on insulin. But it was because everyone was buying in bulk. It wasn’t an ‘insulin shortage,’ it was a run on insulin and toilet paper.

I don’t think you should feel scared about this. Would you know how and where to buy a backup insulin, and how to use it, if you had to? So that you don’t have nerves about it. Would you know how to use Walmart NPH and R? If not, we should talk about it.

Thanks for making sure I’m okay. I don’t use Humalog, I was just posting this in case it helps people who go to the pharmacy and encounter an unhelpful employee like those in the Tudiabetes topics I linked to.

Speaking of…Prior authorizations make growth hormone shortage worse : Shots - Health News : NPR