Still Learning

I have a long way to go to learn about my body's response to diabetes. My BG levels have been higher than usual all week- they've been higher than my initial diagnosis in April - what changed? I know that I have been eating properly, taking my medicine, and exercising. So I was fit to be tied wondering how I screwed up. What did I miss? Oh how quickly I'll go to self-blame. My morning numbers jumped 60 points. And they'd drop mysteriously too. What a roller coaster. Yesterday and today the #'s are back to where I like to see them.

Life has been stressful around here lately. I didn't realize how vulnerable we all are to stress.

Stress results when something causes your body to behave as if it were under attack. My body has been responding to loss. It has been acting like it is under attack.

Two weeks ago my friend and neighbor Wanda died suddenly. Last weekend my brother-in-law Ernie, passed away and then the next day, my Aunt Vivian died. It is stressful telling folks about death, it is stressful thinking about it, it is stressful helping the mourners while trying to continue to eat right, medicate properly and so on. Whether the loss is expected or completely out of the blue, I have a physical reaction to loss and grieving. I know I am not alone.

I came across one article I want to share with you - the link follows: Stress - I guess my lowered A1C could be in jeaopardy if things don't lighten up around here. I need a weekend on the cape!

I welcome input on your experiences with your BG levels over the course of time. I know the numbers are not my fault. But I'd be lying I didn't say I patted myself on the back these last two days when I saw the lower figures again.

I have found my BG’s go up 10-15 points during stressful times in spite of my diet and exercise. I have a tendency to grind my teeth during these periods. I have just accepted it.

It really surprised me to see the number change. I still have the 50 - 60 point swings when I exercise too. The changes are taking some getting used to. Acceptance IS key. Thanks for that reminder, Pauly.