Stomach Flu and Type 1 Diabetes

OK, so everyone in my house has a nasty stomach virus. Lots of throwing up, nothing staying down, not even water.
What happens if I get it? Endo’s office said if I get the stomach virus and start vomiting, I should obviously try to get fluids in and stop the insulin if I cannot eat anything or fluids. If I cannot keep any fluids or food in and my sugar spikes they say I should go to the ER.

IS THERE ANOTHER OPTION? This may put me and my wife over the edge!!! (Please understand that we ran out of towels in the house last nighty and I got about 3.5 hours of sleep, she probably got 2… typically we are much more put together. If you are a parent- you understand)

Anything I can take?

Unfortunately, if you get it and you absolutely can’t keep anything down, it will land you in the hospital. It put me there 2 days before Thanksgiving. Lots of vomiting and diarhea and nothing staying down. My endo said that when you get dehydrated, your insulin does not work like it should. So you can keep taking insulin, but it’s not gonna work. You have to get rehydrated with an IV. Oh how I love IV’s.
A woman I work with who is also a diabetic said to try (and it sounds so gross) tomato juice. Something about it calms the stomach down and will help you keep stuff down. She swears by it, but I have never tried it. Seems to me like the last thing you want to drink when you’re sick.
Anyway, good luck. I really hope you don’t get it. I know I was absolutely miserable. One tip, if you do get it and cannot keep anything dow whatsoever, do not wait to see if it goes away. Get to the hospital and get rehydrated before you go into ketoacidosis!!

There really isn’t another option–sorry. Nothing to take to fend off a stomach virus. Since I’ve been taking Vit D3, I don’t seem to catch colds or get sick often like I used to.

Staying hydrated is important. Dehydation sends BG high. Sucking on ice cubes helps when drinking water won’t stay down. Of course, test a lot because a virus sends BG up. You can have high BG from illness when eating nothing.

Don’t hesitate to go to the ER if you need to. They’ll give you IV fluids.

Hope you don’t get sick!

Just wanted to add that even if you can’t eat, you may need some (smaller amount) of basal (long acting insulin). Did you endo tell you to stop ALL insulin if you cannot eat? Even without eating, most type 1s still need insulin. Since you are not sure of your type, if you can’t keep food down and you get a spike, I would go to the ER.

Warning - this answer assumed you were a Type 1 diabetic since its in the T1 forum and the title is “Stomach Flu and Type 1”. If you’re not T1, then the answer could be very different!!! Also it looks like you were diagnosed only a month ago (diagnosed as what type?). Never mind the following - go with what your doctor says

I have never gone to the ER for a virus or flu, so I don’t think its necessary, but you need to do what feels right to you and your Dr., and as Gerri says don’t hesitate to go if you feel you should.

What I do:

Keep hydrated and keep your basal insulin going even if you aren’t eating. I usually find I need more basal insulin than normal (like a lot more) due to lower insulin sensitivity, so I bolus as needed to bring my BG down. If you have a pump you could do a temp increase to basal, but I inject so I use boluses to make up the difference instead. If you find the opposite (increased insulin sensitivity) - and that your BG is going low then drink soda - and stop basal and go to the ER if you can’t manage to keep BG in a safe range.

Test for ketones in your urine (test strips are cheap at the drug store), or better yet use blood test (I’ve never bought those but have read others talking about them - they would undoubtedly be more accurate at gauging where your ketones really are).

Assuming your BG is high for a while due to lower insulin sensitivity, ketones will go up. If ketones stay high and you can’t bring your BG and ketones down, then I would go to the ER.

When illness has passed you may find your insulin needs have reversed - that you are more insulin sensitive and need less so watch for that.

One other bit of advice - test a lot! You won’t have anything else to do while lying there, so its easy (and important) to keep close tabs on your BG.

Like Jag1 said, I’ve never been to the ER for a stomach virus, and I’ve had a few of them in my diabetic lifetime. But my sugars usually run really low when I’m throwing up. I was told by my doctor to continue to take my basal insulin but forgo bolusing unless my sugars were going up. He also told me to keep drinking water, even if I was throwing up. I’ve never heard of anything you can take to prevent getting the virus. I’ve seemed to built up an immunity to it over the years though.

Question for the crew: I know it’s gross, but there are suppositories for severe nausea. I had to have one in the hospital after I had surgery for my gallbladder, as I couldn’t stop barfing after the anesthesia.

Has anyone tried one of these to prevent diabetic complications? Can’t we get them prescribed to use in emergencies? Pregnant ladies who can’t stop vomiting have these prescribed all the time.

I know this won’t work if … ahem … both ends are involved, but if it’s just nausea/vomiting wouldn’t a suppository of an anti-nausea drug be better than a trip to the hospital?

Like many here have said…stay hydrated. That is the most important thing. If you start to go low, you can drink a little apple juice, but if that doesn’t stay down, try a glucose tablet and let it melt in your mouth. If it is a severe low you could use your glucagon shot. I had that problem once when I caught a nasty virus that landed my daughter and consequently me in the hospital with dehydration and a low that wouldn’t respond to the apple juice I had with me. But I have also had a terrible flu a few years back and my sugars started to go high. I drink plenty of hot tea (with splenda) because of the antioxidents. It has always helped settle my stomach. I give it to my kids when they are sick and it is the one thing that helps their stomach to settle down too. I’d suggest diet ginger ale or diet sprite, but don’t know if you could make it to the store. But if you were able to make it there don’t forget the keytone strips. That will allow you to test your urine for keytones if your sugar goes high. If you spill lots of keytones, you should go to the hospital. Good luck and I hope your family gets well soon.

Hi Ross: I don’t know if there is anything you can take. I would say keep testing a lot, DON’T stop basal insulin even if you are throwing up, test for ketones, and be in touch with your doctor. Since you are relatively newly diagnosed with Type 1/LADA, you really have to be alert. I like to re-read “sick day rules” every once in awhile, just to remind myself of what I need to do if I get sick. I hope you don’t get the bug!

You can also rub cake icing or honey on the inside of your cheeks to help bring up a low if you can’t keep food down.

That’s a good idea!

Where do I get “sick day rules”??? Thanks!

Where do I get “sick day rules?” Thanks

Melitta may have something specific in mind. But the post I wrote above are typical “sick day rules” for a Type 1 diabetic who is experienced at managing their blood sugar. You can find similar rules in the various books for managing Type 1 diabetes. These book have some differences, and some people are more likely to go to a doctor/ER when they are sick. Similar rules may be somewhere online, for example these CLICK LINK HERE. “Type 1 Diabetes” by Ragnar, “Using Insulin” or “Pumping Insulin” by Walsh or “Think like a Pancreas” by Scheiner would each have a variation on the above; these books are all well worth getting.

Thanks, Jag1, those are all excellent sources, and the BD Sick Day Rules are thorough. I also think it is a good idea to tell doctors/medical professionals which type of diabetes, in RossM’s case Type 1 diabetes. RossM, I hope you are doing okay!