STORY from BT1: The night my son nearly died for a sprite

As a parent, so many things worry you. Adding T1D into the equation makes it even harder, and stories like this one give you a ton to think about.

MUST READ!

PARENTS of T1 kids: Have you had experiences similar to this one?

3 Likes

Hugs to all parents of T1D out there.

2 Likes

Gut-wrenching and very powerful. My Wife has been through similar with me and yet I have never fully understood her perspective until now…

To all our loved ones that stand by us when we are not able to, THANK YOU!

4 Likes

One weird thing struck me in this story. With her son in seizure, she messed up her first glucagon kit, bending the needle then contaminating it while straightening it out, and thinking it was no longer usable. Fortunately, she had a second kit to use. If she hadn’t, she should have used the first contaminated glucagon kit, because it it works she might give her son an infection, but if she doesn’t use it, he’ll die. She still lost precious time getting the second glucagon kit, so which kit was the “best” choice is not obvious. Fortunately, the one she used worked in time.

It is hard to think in a panic situation. For life-saving operations, sterility is not the highest priority, and thus not absolutely mandatory.

1 Like

I thought of the same thing. It’s difficult to think in an emergency, which it why it is so important to discuss emergency actions and plans repeatedly - and even practice when possible - so thinking is not needed.

There ought to be a “Glucagon training kit” or practice kit (like there is for EpiPens), so that this won’t happen…

Wait - as I typed that, I searched for it and found at least one! It’s meant for schools, but perhaps it ought to be “standard issue” for parents of T1D kids:

2 Likes

And here’s another (better? worse?) option: Practi-Glucagon Kit™ (for training) - simulates glucagon - Wallcur

1 Like

That and a pen like an EpiPen that doesn’t need to be mixed, but is already … ready!

I’m glad you posted the link. I’ve saved all of my expired glucagon kits for “practice kits” but I’ve never sent them (it was Integrated Diabetes who was looking for them at the time.) I have to remember to do that!

I think it was her first time using a glucagon kit added to the panic of her son having a seizure. I once knocked the glucagon needle out of my mom’s hand when I was having a seizure and made half of it squirt out so I didn’t get a full dose but it still worked although they had already called the paramedics because they were worried I hadn’t gotten enough.

However I think the point of the story wasn’t that she was in a panic and messed up the glucagon it was that her son gave himself a ton of insulin and nearly died because of it since he didn’t understand that it is dangerous to do. I was sometimes told as a child that I couldn’t have this or that because my BG was high but I got to have treats and things the same as my brothers or kids at school.

I did understand as well as a small child can that I had to be careful and ask or tell someone if I wanted something to eat/take insulin. I didn’t have a pump so this would have been less likely to happen to me anyway since I hated having to take my shots.

1 Like

I say everyday, parents of type 1 children are Gods gift to all of us. I give thanks everyday for my wonderful parents and family who got me through my childhood when we didn’t have all these tools. And yes my parents had to use glucagon a few times over my childhood and in the nightmarish moments of lows so bad, your child is unconscious or seizing, it’s hard to do.
But I do think the big point here is knowledge and knowing when your child is ready to understand the ins and outs to their disease. The more they know and the sooner they know and understand, the safer they will be. Each child is diffferent and each has their own learning curve but they need to know the best way to use they tools they have available to them.
Insulin is life saving but so very, very deadly if not handled correctly. I am amazed every time I pick up my prescription and it says dose as needed. How many prescriptions out there let the patient decide on how much or how little? And if you miscalculate, bad things can happen.
I am so thankful, this had a happy ending! I have meet people who did not have a happy ending. And it is gut wrenching watching parents ripped apart by guilt that they weren’t there, or didn’t do enough or didn’t watch closely enough. It can tear families apart.
So having tools and knowledge and support and understanding, can go a long way to keep,this from ever happening again.
Thanks God for our parents!

3 Likes