Stupidest thing you've done with your infusion set/insulin pump

Awesome!

Sometime last year I was so interested in a TV show, while changing my set, and I refilled the old resevoir and reinserted the old set and then threw the new one away. About 2 1/2 days later I noticed a hard knot under my skin at the site of insertion. Then I realized what I had done. Those knots do not occur unless I go past 3.5 days. I think my set had been in place about six days before I noticed the knot.

I got my tubing caught on the latch of a porta potty at a horse show. Tore the sucker clean out. I had backups of everything with me so no big deal right? Wrong. There was NOWHERE to wash my hands. And they were filthy. No amount of antibacterial hand sanitizer would have made me feel that they were clean enough. So I ended up injecting myself with a unit an hour until I got to a sink! Not ideal, but better than trapping horse manure in my site!

Accidentally hit rewind after I had just put on a new set, no biggy but it was annoying as I was late for work

I have been in such a hurry that I changed everything but forgot to prime the tube ā€¦ nothin like being pumped full of air all dayā€¦

I suspended it for a shower, took it off, put it back on and FORGOT TO RESTART THE DA*N THING TIL LATE EVENING!! Was my BG ever high!!!

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Uh huh, Andrew. Iā€™ve got that and some. By the way, itā€™s called a Quick Serter.

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Now thatā€™s funny!

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

Another funny one!

Lois La Rose
Milwaukee, WI

P.S. You guys are making me feel less depressed over my situation!

Iā€™ve changed my site before, gone on my merry way, only to find at the end of the day that I never removed the previous site! Between those two sites and my Dexcom site, I must look like the bionic woman to my husband! Iā€™m embarrassed to say Iā€™ve done this more than onceā€¦

BTDT, but then again when I started pumping 16 years ago ran across the idea somewhere that we should leave the old set in until the ā€œinsulin in it drained inā€, which I now think of as being a bit silly.

But then again I DID do something extreme some years ago. I was working on a machine with chemical tanks on it, and had to check one of them. So I climbed up on the rack supporting it, opened the swing clamps, took off the top cover and looked into the tank. When I got done I didnā€™t realize that my pump hose had looped around one of the clamps, and jumped down from the 2 foot tall frame to the floor.

Felt kind of light on my feet, and wondered why. Saw 2 bright white lines in front of muy face quivering in the air, and realized what had happened. So I climbed back up, got the hose free and got back down to the floor.

When I looked at the hose it had stretched in the middle where it had been around the clamp. So I measured it and found it had stretched about 6 inches, from 43" to 49" or so, but was STILL working. So I left it on until the next refill with no problems. Mind you this was before they had separating infusion sets, must have been in early '94, so I couldnā€™t just unclip it and replace the hose easily, besides which I didnā€™t carry spares with me yet (though I HAVE ever sinceā€¦)

Iā€™ve done this so many times! You see no pump connected and panic only to find you have a new connected set in but left the old one in. Iā€™m so glad Iā€™m not the only one!

The first time i was showing my dad how to insert my quickset, i left the little blue needle cover on, i felt so stupid =p so you are not alone!

done that too many times to count!

Thanks everybody for your heads up to me, a new pumper and sensor sporterā€¦I now know what to watch out for-not that I think that is really gonna help me avoid these ā€œoops momentsā€. But at least I will not feel so silly when they happenā€¦

I just got my pump yesterday, yay! And I was telling my fiance how I read that someone on here got their pump tubing caught on a door knobā€¦ and not even five minutes later guess whatā€¦ It got caught on my door knob and was all dangling thereā€¦ I was like ā€œwow, have had this for about four hours and look what happenedā€¦ā€

I havenā€™t done anything else yet hooking it up since my doctor trained me just yesterday!

LOL same thing almost happened yesterday!

ditto

Wow thatā€™s kinda opposite of the time when i was wearing my CGM/pump and i was staying by myself in a new house- i had been getting low BGs during nights and was still getting used to the pump etc.
It was 4 a.m. when the security system went off in the house and i thought it was my CGM at first- dont worry mike itā€™s a two way street LOL

i forgot my clip so i stuffed my pump in my sports bra when i went running- i was pretty happy about not having it bulkily clipped to my pants until i realized i had chaffed myself quite nicelyā€¦ ouch