Sucralose and other substitutes

Oh, man! The Sucralose news!!! I’m Type I 56 years, no complications except hypoglycemia unawareness and a bit of gastroparesis. Last A1C 7.1 (great for the HU). I’ve been on sugar substitutes since saccharine. Splenda for a few years, love it. Has anyone checked to see if the study was funded by a company? I drink Diet Mountain Dew (aspartame) and Monster ultra Zero (Sucralose), also coffee and tea, Sucralose. What’s a poor Type I ‘posed to do? Swear off all? I’m a hefty female, but BMI 29 or 30. What if I switch to sugar and cover it with a bolus from my pump?? I only eat at 10pm but a lil fatty n high carbs. I get low a couple times a day (below 80 is what I consider with the IU) and eat glucose tablets or Gummy Lifesavers. I’ll check w my endo and nutritionist this week, but I’m up late and worrying. TIA!

This is the paper on the study
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10937404.2023.2213903

1. Forget about it and enjoy life. Worrying about it could be causing you more harm than making a switch.

2. With a BMI in the 29 or 30 range and an A1C above 7, changing your sweetener will probably have as much effect as peeing on a forest fire. You are putting a lot of physical stress on your entire body, heart, and other organs. If you want to improve your health, work on a nutrition and exercise plan that will give you a better bang for your efforts than worrying about minor tweaks such as sweeteners.

Set some small goals that address your root causes and achieve them. Good Luck!!!

I used artificial sweeteners a long time. I decided it causes weight gain. It’s also not necessary. It took me about a month to kick the sweetener habit. Now I prefer no sweetener in coffee and tea. I like bubbly water as much as I ever liked diet soda. It’s just another one of those things we were sold as diabetics ther we really just don’t need. Remember those alchohol sugars. That were in some low sugar products that were all the rage back in the 80s and 90s. ? Now they don’t make them much anymore.
Enjoy a teaspoon of sugar if you want it. Avoid the fake ones.
That’s just my opinion

1 Like