Suggestions for gaining weight

I actually want to GAIN some weight! I probably eat more carbs than many people on TuD do (120-150 or more daily depending on activity level) and have been adding more protein and fat to my diet but no success. I use basal and bolus insulins plus metformin (500 mg 2 x daily). There’s been a lot of stress in my life (husband’s post-surgical complications requiring ICU care, most recently) and I have no reserves left, physical or emotional. So…any suggestions for weight gain?

Have you tried some serious supplementation? I’m talking about protein shakes made with something like whey protein. You can even up the calories by making it with cream. You could add one or two of those everyday. That might help.

Probably best to talk to a registered dietitian. Factually, if you are not engaging in any serious activity the RDA for protein is 0.8 grams per kg. So even you’re consuming more protein than you need from a metabolic perspective, it will be stored as fat.

You might want to speak with a mental health professional about balancing work/life. Perhaps you both can collaboratively brainstorm ideas that you know work for your circumstance to eat high-quality healthy so that you can reach your goals.

Lastly, have you considered that the the body mass you currently have is where your body wants to be?

I hope this post is helpful.

Best,

Jo

2 Likes

jojeegirl is right, best to talk to a, registered dietitian, it what i did, when i want to, lose weight,.

I recommend taking a box of afrezza and spending a couple week vacation in Italy. That’d do it. Closer to home, I managed to get my weight back up to where it should be along San Antonios river walk.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, for your replies and suggestions.

That sounds like a good idea, especially after a yoga class.

I do plan to follow up with my CDE in the next week or two, now that life has settled down a bit.

I hope not, LOL! Seriously, what prompted my question was that my clavicle and upper ribs are kinda more noticeable now. I have lost muscle mass during the last few weeks (except my arms from snow shoveling).

CatLady06, how are you doing now, several months after your first posts?
Did something work for you?

I am on Tresiba and Metformin. I can’t gain weight. I do not eat as much carbs as you, (currently 45-60 daily), but have high protein and fat in diet.

Hi, thanks for checking in! My CDEs took me off Metformin due to exercise lows (and upped my basal). So I have actually gained a little weight and have more energy.

1 Like