Survey: Would you rather treat a low BG or a high?

Would rather correct a high even tho it takes longer. I feel very bad when I’m low.

Right now I would rather be treating a high as I just at lunch bgs 75 and I have a ton of yard work

I get so sluggish when I’m high, But when I’m doing yardwork (or any kind of work), I’m stuck in a perpetual low that I can’t shake off…

Interesting idea (at least for those big meals) on overbolusing. But if I did that consistently and then corrected a low, my doc would change my I:C ratios…

Hmmmm, I got my initial ratios from my doc who worked in conjunction w/ the mm sales nurse but since then I’ve pretty much been on my own? I think I overcount carbs to gedt the same result.

I don’t rely on input from the medical community. Diabetes is such an easy disease. Food makes BG go up. Insulin makes BG go down. All I have to do is to offset food with the proper amount of insulin. I view each meal as an experiment. I analyze the outcome of the experiment on my dex. Did I use too much insulin or too little? Should I have injected earlier or later? I don’t think in terms of I:C ratio. When I look at a meal I guess the units that I need to inject. As long as I don’t underestimate the units I am in the clear.

Id rather treat a high because lows can be very very dangerous, especially if you are like me and live alone.

And I think you guys are NUTS!!! But that’s because I hate lows so much, almost a phobia. Low-lovers are from Mars, high-lovers are from Venus??? :slight_smile:

Natalie, I don’t love lows. I correct with fast acting carbs when I approach the low end of my range and I thereby AVOID lows. I am not saying that low-phobia is wrong. It all depends on your counter regulation. My counter regulation is excellent. I haven’t passed out once in over 20 years. Everybody is different.

It depends (haha!). If I’m at work or need to use my brain for any reason, I’d rather deal with the high. I don’t have the patience to be numb-brained for the 15 minutes it takes to come up and 30 minutes to be back in my right mind. But evenings and weekends I will rather deal with the low.

But what about exercise and illness? Don’t those throw a monkey wrench into the plan? Maybe the answer is never to exercise and never to get sick, LOL!!

I’ll jump on the never exercise bandwagon Natalie :slight_smile:

Before exercise I eat a whole bagel but bolus only for half a bagel. I start my exercise when my BG closes in on 120 mg/dl. When I am done with exercising after half an hour my BG typically is at 70 mg/dl. Then I bolus for a quarter bagel. This regimen keeps my BG in the target range at all times.

I haven’t been sick since I got the dex. But I have been on vacation which might be worse in regard to BG. I am extremely inactive during my vacation. I sit at the beach and read a book. At night I go out and eat too much. After about 3 days my insulin sensitivity is shot and I need double the amount of insulin that I usually take. Getting back to normal also takes about 3 days.

Scott, I avoid lows, that is below 70, with energies no one can believe. I was there, & had no brains to treat the low. Total unawareness.
So, that being said, with my A1c at 5.7, and having been what they called a brittle diabetic, I treat highs and refuse to take any insulin % of a drop that might send me low.
I went low carb so I can stick with a standard deviation I like: few highs, no lows.
Right now while I’m on a Prednisone regime, the sd is 13, but it’ll go back to 11 once I’m off Prednisone! By the way, I have never eaten anything to correct a low: that would be too slow. Glucose tablets are faster.

You drop to 70 and then bolus some more? Would you spike back up after dropping that low if you didn’t? My preference to lows aside, I can’t see myself bolusing at 70! (Unless I began my meal earlier and was 50 at the time, and even then I would square-wave it over a half hour or so).

I always spiked after exercise without the extra bolus.

I guess I would rather treat a high. Now it takes longer and I have to fight the urge to overcorrect, but when I am wearing my CGM I can see how fast I am falling and can eat a little bit if I havr overebolussed a correction. I have to admit that I do not get the warnings as accurately for lows with the minimed CGMs, I have kind of learned to ignore it’s low beepings and screechinfg, as can nbe to 20-30 points off. but sometimes it is right on the money. .
But if it teels me I am 235 and I am actually 270, that is nt as bad as it’s alarming it reads at 35, but I am actually 75. so just just test to see. I usually know when I get to around 63 or so, any way.

My vote is I rather correct for the highs. I do not like lows and they mess up My already quirky mindset too much.

God Bless,
Brunetta

I would rather treat a low. I get bad headaches when it’s high. I can do without that. I just sweat really bad when it’s low.

your dog dislikes this idea!!

LOL so they told me… all 3 of them :slight_smile: They also thank you for advocating for them, unlike their bad mama.