Would u be rather hyperglycemia OR hypoglycemia?

I would say none but after checking my BG I would rather be hypoglycemia cause I can have a glass of juice and all is well whereas with hyperG I have to keep checking again and again after correction to see if I am norm which sucks. Lately I am having high Bgs and even with correction I am still high. Not sure why…

Hypo all the way!

we r in the same pg… tnx

hypo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hyper

Well, It’s a Damned if you Do and Damned if you Don’t routine
On one hand, My Endo tells me Hypo’s do Brain Damage and can do serious Body Damage if you drive your Car into a Tree…( She had One patient cut her Finger Off going hypo while cooking and another Severely Burned spilling a Pot of Hot soup on her Leg)

On the other? If you are testing enough or Test Extra if you have doubts about your Bolus you took and /or Set your Alarm at nite if in doubt of going Low and catch a Hypo Before It gets too Low? I’d opt for the Hypo…

One of the Benefits of getting a CGM, once they become more accurate…

With Hypers? Can take Hours to get them back down… And Allegedly, if above 140-150’s they do damage as well…

As for Treating a High and It not comming down?
If I am at or after my 3 hrs of my last Bolus? a 3 hr Correction Bolus is in order…
If At 1-2 hrs after last bolus? A 2 hr CB is in order…

But in anycase? I don’t expect improvements for at least 1-2 hrs and complete one’s for upto 3 hrs…after
From testing, My Bolus-Novalog takes in 20/33/ 50% hrly increaments most of the time.

If I am In A Controled Enviroment ( Like at Home and no plans or things to do goin on) I will be more aggressive with Higher BG’s ( like 200’s ) Take a 3 hr CB in that 2 hr Window
Or if I feel I’m high about an hour before Eating? I test to be sure and then will take 50% of my Next Meals Bolus that 1/2-45 min ahead of eating… along with my CB… When ready to eat, test again to be sure…I haven’t gone too low and need to either delay taking that other 50% Bolus or Even take a Glucose tab…

Some take Apidra- faster acting and have decent results with it… Might want to ask them and see maybe to have some oN hand … I have asked my Dr. For it, but no luck yet…

I run Tight control and Have ave of 1 hypo a day…Most are Mild Hypo’s in the High 60’s to Low 70’s…and by testing more often ( or if in doubt if took too much Bolus for something) and catch them before they get serious…

Just had a “Perfect Day” again… had 90’s at 3 hr testings and never went above 130’s at 2 hrs…got up with a 90 and ave. out to 97 for the 10x test day…and only 1 Very Mild Hypo ( 71)…

Love those days when everything goes just right and I guessed right too… !

Now tommorrow? Will probably get a 200 or some goofy thing…in the AM when I get up or after a meal…
Back to normal…

Hope that helps…

I think hypo as well. Unfortunately I have no warnings whatsover - I can be functioning normally one minute and a melting, quivering wreck the next which is usually about 1.2 mmols! I hate the feeling but I like the treatment!

As for you highs, are you under a lot of stress? Do you have an infection? Are you on other medications, such as steroids? All this can put your sugar levels up.

Rather have hypoglycemia it is a lot easier and faster to fix.

I’d rather just have a new pancreas. Is that an option?

Hypo, definitely!

I wish this day was over already - I’m used to waking up at a bg <100, sometimes ~50 and I can manage that very well. I’d prefer 70-100 but if it is lower, the day is still a good day.

And today? 275, for no explainable reasons whatsoever. Didn’t have this in years! And it’s horrible, I’m still high up, my day is completely screwed, I feel awful and it won’t just go away. I’m kind of hyperactive but too exhausted to actually move a lot, not a good combination.

I notice hypos an can treat them. Usually, I’ll feel better sometime soon after.

With a too high bg, that’s simply not possible. It’ll take 5 hours at the minimum. Plus a lot of water.

As for now, I’m desperate. I’ve already taken an amount of insulin that would send me straight to hypoglycemia under normal circumstances. If I have a high bg at daytime, I dont have it for hours because I check my bg too often to not noticing that for have the day. But since I woke up with >250, it is likely that I was up there all night! I still have no idea why… my bg usually goes down over night, not up.

I really don’t like going low. It feel so bad and I tend to overcorrect it. I’m working on the highs right now tho. I switched my Lantus back to nights and I’m amazed that my morning BGs have dropped from 130s into the 90s. So I don’t want hypo or hyper. Hows that for not making up my mind.

Hyper b/c I am hypo unaware and pass out from my bs dropping to fast. If I test below 100 I get worried b/c my system is not like other’s and when I’m under 100 the drop to 20 with out warning is almost with in an hour or 2.

Normally I wouldn’t say this, but hyper. I have had a seemingly endless stream of hypos the past month (3-5 a day), with no end in sight. I’ve cut back my basals and I:C ratios…nothing’s helping. I’m taking 10-20 units less per day than I have in the past few years, and still…low all the flipping time! I’m not feeling them anymore until I’m in the 30s because my body has adjusted to it.

Hypo. It’s MUCH easier to fix for me. I have wicked bad insulin absorption issues, so a high BG takes FOREVER to come down for me.

i am with you on this. My BG have been high for 3 weeks now… now sure why. I am eating the same. Do my correction but still high. It sucked that much that I had only carrots for dinner to think that my morning will be normal but NO did wake up with a high. I will take your advise have lots of water to see if it can make a difference.

wished…

wow… 1.2. My fingers would be shaking even when it drops to 3.5.

No infection, no stress but I am on high blood pressure medication. Now I am wondering if that could be the cause…

this morning I woke up with a high too with only having carrots @ night thinking I will wake up with norm. This is driving me nuts…

tnx. this helps. I thought after doing a correction you should go back to norm in 2 hr period. Didn’rt realize that it could take that long to go norm. I am on Apidra and on a pump. I use to take injections, Apidra day time and Lantus at nights which I had no problem. It seems with pump life is easier having a 2 ys old but the highs are making me crazy. I am seeing a dietition tomorrow. Lets see if she can help me.

thanks for taking time to reply and sharing your stories. I wasn’t aware that with hyper it could take hours for bg to become norm. I never had that problem. I am just worried with all the highs that my kidney will fail or will get blind or my leg will get amputated… it really scares me…

Seeing the new posts, I must admit that there are cases I really hate low bg. I had nights I was incredibly tired but had to forbid myself to go to bad because I was worried I wouldn’t wake up the next morning. I stayed up for hours and hours just to not oversee my bg going further down again… but I can see reasons for those situations. Yes, it was pretty bad to get up still very tired since I had to, but I stick with my choice. High bg makes me feel a lot worse and is always difficult to handle, while it is an exception that I have trouble handling low bg.

The only reason for me to change my opinion in this would be hypo unawareness.

Also, I worry more about hypers than about hypos.
A high bg can stay unnoticed for hours, and for the entire night. It can cause damages you won’t notice within the next day or year.
Even though I can’t really tell what long-term damages a hypo can cause, I’d say it’s less since it doesn’t stay unnoticed as long as a high bg does.

Definitely hypo. A 50 can be treated with one glucose tab and return to normal in less than 15 minutes. A 250 can take hours.