Sweeteners

@Daisy_Mae yep, depending on quantity of course.

itā€™s a hot sauce
Iā€™m a Tapatio gal, as @David_dns knows, he once sent me a quart

and back to sweeteners, I only use Equal and moderate amounts of real sugar. well, I go through a lot of real sugar, as right now we are feeding a huge flock of hummingbirds, plus I bake all the time

I just enjoy baking, I donā€™t eat that much of it.

1 Like

Absolutely.

Good to know. I may not like it; Iā€™m a one-click-below ā€œseriously dangerousā€ kind of womanā€¦ :wink::wink::wink:

Whenā€™s your birthday? Iā€™ll send you a bottle of Daveā€™s Insanity Sauce. LOL :laughing:

Just missed it by 9 days.

Late B-day gifts are cheerfully accepted, however! :grinning:

1 Like

Is that hummingbird food or people food?

Doesnā€™t matter. If itā€™s low-carb enough, Iā€™ll have a small square, please.

According to my calculations, then, we are 43 days apart. That is the totally immaterial and pointless fact for the day. :sunglasses:

1 Like

absolutely loaded w carbs, I never even tasted it, it was my blue ribbon winning sticky buns from he 2014 State Fair, @curlysarahā€™s momā€™s recipe

hummingbird food is 4:1 water to sugar

Looks delicious. Fortunately (for me) it has nuts, which would have made it easy to resist. :wink:

As I mentioned somewhere above, the only reason we have sugar in the house is for the hummingbirds.

And when they didnā€™t get sugar, they became angry birds!

BTW, I still havenā€™t recovered ear-worm wise from:

This is the awning of the cage of asparagusā€¦

the cage of asparagusā€¦

Asparagusā€¦

Asparagusā€¦

omg, youve never even tasted it?!?! live!! that looks oh so bolus-worthy.

2 Likes

It truly does, but the nuts are a showstopper for me. Luckily. :wink:

Great stuff. Hereā€™s the current favorite in our house, no doubt well known to the Oregonians on this forum.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you! Just had part of my lawn-mowing cookie from the bakery! :yum:

1 Like

The registered dietitian at my endoā€™s office told me to forget about buying most things with artificial sweeteners in them because of the plethora of side-effects/ potential harm/ allergic responses that people tend to have when eating them. Her advice is to eat sensibly and to just count the carbs in the sugar-sweetened foods. For example, we have a shop in town that makes sugar-free chocolates. (Delicious!) Although I donā€™t get them often, (and I restrict myself to not more than one a day), they are terribly expensive. She told me to save my money, buy the regular chocolates, and keep to my routine of no more than one a day with appropriate insulin to cover it. I have followed her advice for years, and I am doing well. Just be aware of what you are eating, use common sense as to the amount you eat, and take appropriate medication and exercise steps (no pun intended) to keep your blood glucose in check.

1 Like

I like stevia and Swerve (erythritol). I use Swerve in baking, and stevia either in baking or in coffee. I donā€™t like some brands of stevia, though (I find Truvia tastes weird).

Many (if not most) commercially prepared foods that contain ā€œartificialā€ (I prefer the term ā€œnon-sugarā€) sweeteners actually contain more carbs than the ā€œequivalentā€ foods that contain sugar. This is significantly less often the case when one uses a non-sugar sweetener in foods prepared at home ā€œfrom scratch.ā€

The ā€œplethora of side effectsā€ may not be due to the sweeteners themselves; these may be due to other ingredients that are added as stabilizers. Relatively few people are actually ā€œallergicā€ to non-sugar sweeteners. Not a great many people experience any untoward reactions when they consume foods containing sweeteners when they prepare the foods themselves.

As far as ā€œpotential harmā€ is concerned, several posts before this one address this issue accurately. ā€œPotential harmā€ from many things (in addition to sweeteners or medications) is an unfortunate but ever-present possibility. I worry about this possibility a little less when something goes through the rigorous process necessary to obtain FDA approval.

ā€¦and so many people also misuse the term ā€œallergicā€ to describe any and all unpleasant or adverse reactions to food. I recall they did a study a few years ago where they found that 30% of people thought they had a food allergy, but only about 5% had an actual allergy (immune system reaction to food).

1 Like

The same is true regarding medication ā€œallergiesā€.

1 Like