Swim Lows

So I swam twice today, once for an hour and the other time a half hour. Both times I come out the pool nonchalantly to check my blood sugar. Physically I felt great and relaxed. My readings were 58 an 55 respectively. I still felt really good, even when i treated. My spider sense usually chimes in when I’m that low, regardless of what I’m doing. But not today in the pool…

What is it about swimming that numbs my hypo awareness? I was a little freaked out with the readings, but I was even more freaked out about how my body wasn’t freaking out.

i see you have been diabetic roughly the same as me…i don’t recognize my lows anymore at all…this feeling i was told starts to wear out…the doc told me, that my body has become used to this low…but he said i could regain some low recognition if i make sure i don’t have any lows for 2 or more solid weeks, and no sugars below 70…i did this once and i started recognizing lows, but since then i keep having lows when running, biking or swimming, and so that adrenalain or whatever that is doesn’t recognize…and i don’t think it has anything to do with swimming…but maybe the cold water, gets rid of the heat quicker, …where my lows used to come with a lot of sweating, and now maybe the pool, is to quick of a way to dissipate the heat…this could be true…we just had a swimming/triathlon camp last week and alot of us diabetics were having lows, but that was cause we were in the pool for about 1.5 hours learning and swimming…

the only thing i have to offer on this is the natural effect of swimming on the body. all humans have an interesting reaction when the are fully submerged in water (of their own will, of course…) - our heart rates naturally slow down. i’m not sure, but mabee this has something to do with why we can’t always sense a low or tend to dropped lower than normal when swimming. i would take a guess and say that since our bodies slow down in the water that perhaps our livers as well as our hearts become effected and don’t pump out enough glucose to counter the dropping blood sugar level. and i know that if my body is on the autoban to a low i will feel fine one minute and like i’m going to fall over then next. all that being said, my post is full of guesses and theories and these swimming lows could just as easily be caused by aliens that steal the sugar from our blood when we’re in the water.

…it’s the Mononoke Tree Spirits…they are stealing my sugar.

lol…you rock

not sure if I should be ashamed or proud that I know what you are referring to…