Syringe help

I use the Walgreens super thin 2 syringes short needle. .3 mL- 30 gauge- 5/16 (8mm) needle length for my daughters basal injections. They hurt her so bad. Any syringe suggestions?

It depends on if you need 1/2 unit doses or not.

The shortest syringe you can get, I think is 6mm.

BD makes a 1/2 unit syringe with a 6mm needle length. A shorter length would probably be more comfortable.

If you use a pen, you can go down to a 4mm needle length. That would probably be even better for a young one.

But the problem with using a pen is that it does not give you the 1/2 unit doses with Basaglar. I don’t think they make a Basaglar pen that does 1/2 unit doses yet.

So if you used syringes with 1/2 unit doses, the shortest you could get is 6mm.

If you do NOT need the 1/2 unit doses, get a Basaglar pen, and use the 4mm pen needles.

So either way - either 6mm with 1/2 unit doses with a syringe, or use 4mm pen needles with a Basaglar pen.

Are you in the U.S.? I can post links for places to buy them if you want. Just let me know.

I don’t have any particular name since I use pens, but I found out that 31 gauge BD needles hurt me while 32 gauge Novonordisk are painless. I’m not sure if it is the thickness or the way they are sharpened, but you may try to go up to 31,32 or higher gauge, may be it would make a difference.

You don’t say how old your daughter is or whether she has been only recently diagnosed? I ask because I had needle phobia as a child before I was diagnosed, and used to dread doctors’ appointments for fear they would give me an injection. But just a few weeks after I was diagnosed and got used to injecting myself, I had no pain or fear of injections at all. I think it is really just a matter of psychology whether the patient is bothered by injections or not. The syringes I used when I was diagnosed in 1966 were reused for long periods and actually had to be filed down to keep them sharp, yet even they didn’t hurt because we were psychologically adjusted to them. So it depends on the patient’s attitude, not the device.

My daughter is 6 and was diagnosed at 3. In the beginning of diagnosis the needles that we used didn’t bother her much but it was so long ago I don’t know what they were . We have a different doctor now

I would recommend that you try the Reli-On 0.3ml 31G 1/2-unit syringes available at Walmart. The Reli-On syringes resemble a BD clone in appearance and parts are even interchangeable. The 1/2-unit variety can provide more accurate dosing for many patients and the 31G is slightly thinner than the 30G needles you are currently using. The syringes can be purchased without a Rx in most states at Walmart pharmacies but there may be a limit in the quantity you will be able to purchase at any one time. With a Rx, you can purchase up to a 90-days supply per transaction. Also, on Rx, the cost is lower and is tax-exempt in most states (OTC sales may be subject to sales tax).

There is more to the equation than just the size of the needle. Your injection technique may need to be refined. The conventional advice of holding the needle against the skin and then pressing it in gradually is antiquated advice that could be much more painful than simply holding the syringe like a dart and thrusting it into the skin in a quick, fluid motion (this is usually painless). I believe that Dr. Bernstein covers the technique in his book, Diabetes Solution. You can read selected chapters free at his site, Read Online - Diabetes Solution - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site.

Ok I have the book I follow his diet for my daughter . On going to go find those syringes also. So are you saying hold the skin then inject like a dart?

Go to Chapter 16

It’s in the section: How to Give a Painless Injection

My print copy is still on loan to a friend, but on the Kindle it is on page 340.

Dr. Bernstein outlines the steps, complete with pictures!