T1 and not working

I am interested to know how many T1’s have quit working due to hypo unawareness or other workplace issues. I “quit” working after a severe low bs but when I tried to return to work the company had decided to let me go. It was a small company, so legal isssues were not an option.
I have been a T1 for 30 years and worked for 25 of those years. There are times when I miss working but there are days when I just work at being a T1.
I look forward to hearing other stories similar to mine or just your thoughts about working.
Rich

I would suggest you immediately talk to an attorney. Try to find one specializing in disability discrimination. You havn’t mentioned all the details, but I believe you have grounds for unlawful discarge suit.
peace and luck
danny

I couldn’t get hired as a dogchatcher years ago and had to quit more than one job due to those lovely lows and for quite awhile been on disability. Another thing I finally had to due thanks to those lovely lows was not go shopping alone. Passed out in too many stores also one time got out of jury duty b/c I passed out and went into a seizer while in the courtroom after telling the man what would happen!

Hi Danny
Thanks for the info. Yes, there are other details but I chose to go on disability at that time. Fighting with the gov’t for two years was hard enough as well as forfeiting 25% of my claim to the lawyers that helped contest the initial denial.
Rich

I have found the cgms to be a big help in managing my hypo unawareness. I would expect that the cost of the cgms is cheap compared to the fact that it may help you get back in the workplace and allow you more freedom and better control.

You could always start your own business…I did!

CGMS might be a great tool, but for someone who isn’t working and doesn’t have insurance, that’s like saying $1 billion is a phenomenal tool you should consider! On the other hand, one thing I can highly recommend is Blood Glucose Awareness Training (BGAT). A detailed review of BGAT can be found in the Diabetes Care archives (see here for the article). What is BGAT? Well, if you suffer from impaired hypoglycemia awareness, then this training could quite literally save your life.

Last year, I hosted an online chat with Linda Gonder-Frederick who is one of the program’s developers, and as I recall, the number of participants was much greater than expected. This suggests to me that this is an area of tremendous interest that professional organizations like the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) are closing their eyes and ears to – I find this ignorance inexcusable. However, when I asked Linda about BGAT-Home, the online version of the program which could potentially bring this valuable training to people all over.

She responded by writing: “Okay … the internet version of BGAT. We are in the final stages of testing it and will be presenting our results at this year’s ADA meeting. We have a website where people can go to put their names if they are interested in being notified as soon as we are “up and running.” It has taken us a long time … the address is www.interest.bgathome.com. My computer savvy colleague said that he needs to update it, and he will get to it this week. But you can enter your name now.”

This month, the diabetes journal Diabetes Care reports on the trial of BGAT-Home. In the new study, researchers looked at whether an online program in “blood glucose awareness training” could help type 1 diabetics better manage their disease. The program, now dubbed “BGAThome”, is an adaptation of well-studied program that uses group sessions to teach people with diabetes (particularly those with type 1) tactics for predicting and preventing blood sugar ups-and-downs.

The Internet version of the program is designed to allow patients to improve their diabetes management from the privacy of their own home, Dr. Daniel Cox, the lead researcher on the study, told Reuters Health. The authors note that BGAT was converted for web-based delivery. They note that the internet allows BGAT delivery to be dynamic, engaging, convenient, and personalized. Efficacy was evaluated using a 2 (BGAThome, n=20, vs. control, n=20) x 2 (pre/post) design. They conclude that BGAThome was judged as useful and easy to use, was completed by 94% of the participants, and resulted in significant clinical improvements (P<0.05).

The good news: it should be online and functional VERY soon. I very recently asked Linda Gonder-Frederick about it, and she said they were meeting with the American Diabetes Association for funding and support since their website did not have sufficient capacity to handle it in production, but we can probably expect something very soon!

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply. I tried to get to the links you showed but I’m not able to open any of them yet. I went directly to the BGAThome website but they directed me back to interest.bgathome site.

I recently started participating in a study for CGMS and I am in the control group at this point. In November I will be using a Dexcom 7 system. It will be great to see how my bs is throughout the day and night. I know just by testing that my bs varies from the 50’s to the mid 200’s. It will be awesome to see when it starts going down and be able to make adjustments earlier.

Rich

Are you sure you don’t have a case for wrongful discharge? Don’t take that crap.

I had a physically demanding job as a stocker at a large supermarket chain, and it became very difficult, not only because of blood sugar fluctuations, but also because my body cannot recover from the physical demands. I know where you are coming from, my friend. It is hard to find people who have experienced this, as it is directly related to type 1 and the metabolic syndrome. There is no easy answer.

Hey Ryan,
I am sorry to hear about your struggle. I am currently fighting to have a hypo alert dog with me at work. Management and collegues have been well aware of my diabetes and my hypos. My driving the fleet cars has never been an issue until I mentioned the dog. Now I am jumping through hoops. I live in Australia and our disability legislation is similiar over here. I must admit I had never seen my diabetes as a disability. Anyway I learned a number of years ago when my daughter was going through a bad time to make sure you jouranl everything… I am doing that and I have asked for their concerns to be put in writing…this hasn’t really happened yet. Meanwhile I am documenting and saving all emails etc. written by them. I have started referring them to the legislation.I know this is after the fact for you. But you never know some of it may be handy.

I receive a little whippet puppy tomorrow and have taken annual leave to begin his training (including house training!) I will let you know how it all goes. Keep your chin up mate

You are NOT required to tell them you have diabetes.

Scott, Thanks for what you do. I would be very interested is testing and going through the training to become better aware of when I am droping.

Good luck with your precious whippet. I have had Greyhounds and now have an Italian greyhound. They are so sweet.

My work is physical also. I just keep candy in my pocket and know that I will need some mid morning. I eat a low carb lunch so I will not need insulin and not go low later. I have been in a good range at the end of the day using that technique.

Thank you Elaine,
I have had hime a day and he’s already alerted me once…he was right. Everyone take care!!

“There are times when I miss working but there are days when I just work at being a T1.”

Well, if that’s your attitude then that’s the life you’re going to create.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your response to my discussion about not working. I sensed from your response, though, that you feel my attitude is not appropriate. Since we have never met, I will re-phrase my comment. There are times when I miss working but I enjoy every day and I do not miss the 9/11 calls at work.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to come across as judgmental. Your post had a slightly defeated tone to it, or at least I detected one, so I was trying to be encouraging in my own backwards way. :slight_smile: