T1D and Health: How Long Will You Live?

Most literature says that diabetics generally live about 12-15 years less than the population at large, but that’s just gross estimates of averages. A much better way to evaluate your propensity for an unceremonious demise is to evaluate your various risks of all-cause mortality, which, when you add them all up, is likely to inch you back up on the longevity bracket. If you’re a diabetic, you’re probably assuming that your glycemic control is your biggest risk factor (unless you have a pet lion). Well, it turns out, that’s not it.

My new article, T1D and Health: How Long Will You Live?, takes an amusing, but highly informative walk through how and why our metabolic health has far more impact on diabetes than any other factor, and paying attention to that is actually easier than you think.

3 Likes

I made an assumption that I would die young. I’ve already outlived many expectations, but I think that assumption probably leads to a self fulfilling prophecy and we should stop telling people that because everything has changed so much.

I am a Type 1 and have been for just over 60 years. When first diagnosed, I was told that my life expectancy was about 35 (that doctor had a great bedside manner! NOT!). I was also told, for many, many years, that a cure was only about 5 years away. I found an absolutely great endocrinologist when I was in my 40s and was with him for almost 30 years before he retired. He stressed to me that every diabetic is different and never to compare what worked for someone else with what worked for me. To me, that is the best advice you can give to anyone with diabetes.

3 Likes

Your experience is common! And mine feels almost identical. I wrote about it, and my evolution with T1D since then, in my essay, Why I Haven’t Died Yet: My Fifty Years with Diabetes.

perhaps when I get to my 60th year, like you have, I’ll provide an update.