T2 progressive?

Who here believes, with the medics, that T2 is inevitably progressive?
I personally believe that it CAN be controlld not to. At least that’s whqat I’m working towards
Hana

I believe it. Control is one thing, stopping a train is another. I saw it with my dad, and he developed every complication in the book, and he died from Diabetes. The disease progresses differently in different people, and taking care of one self certainly can stave off or slow down many a complication for many years… but the diseases DOES progress.

The Type 2 would have to be totally disciplined. Of course, there are other hurdles, like if the Type 2 got one or more other condition(s) which affects Diabetes or it’s care and so on. But it’s certainly worth a try.

My Uncle was dxd. with Type 2 about 32 years ago plus then with Celiac. He is doing pretty Good so far. Unlike a few of his Brothers and Sister who were dxd also. They didn’t take Diabetes seriously and each lasted less than 20 years, with major complications. .

I’m Very Proud of my Uncle. It’s hard sometimes, as you know. I wish you the Best Hana in your Great efforts.

Well, I used to think that I would be able to control my diabetes, but over time, I’ve just watched my blood sugar degrade and nothing stands in the way for very long, not diet, not exercise and not medication. Now, I may just not be t2, but that is the diagnosis I have. It may well be that if you are a pure t2, with insulin resistance, that you can adequately manage the condition “forever.” But in my case, despite the Dr. B diet and all the other things, my fasting numbers continue to rise. If you are a t2 with a secretion problem or an autoimmune problem, there may just be nothing you can do to avert inevitable progression.

Sorry to be so doom and gloom. It is not like I am depressed about my situation, rather I just accept it. That’s the cards I was dealt. All I can do is play the hand the best I can.

I am hopeful, because after 6 years, I am using LESS medicaion than I was at diagnosis and the highest A1cIi ever had was 6.1%. I think the key is in that number. If it keeps in the normal non-diabetic levels3.5 to 5.5, I cannot see how anything can progress. I’m now down to 5.1 and I’m going to get down into the 4s before next measurement. It isn’t easy, with LOADS of execise and a tight diet, but I’m an optimist
Hana

Good for you Hana. I will be hoping that you are one of those that can not progress.

I think the key is… what exactly is the genetic make up of each diabetic. If it is T2 without a gene that affects insulin amounts then maybe you have a greater shot at it if it’s caught early and you make the changes you need to make. My FIL is not well BUT he has been obese and diabetic for probably 40 years. Diagnosed 20 years ago. He has typical ‘old age’ problems added with some diabetic issues also. Interestingly he takes insulin as his primary medication. He doesn’t work out - his knees are bad (had replacement) so he sits in front of the tv. What can you say? He’s in his late 70’s, has all his fingers and toes. Drinks OJ every morning! (YA!). His son, my husband has perfect bloodwork and is at a very nice BMI so I think the genetics there are more obesity driven / affected.
Me…I follow the golden rule and I am progressing slowly (no weight issues, no high BP etc). I have DQ8 which is associated wtih T1 and tends to limit insulin amounts even in non-diabetic family members of a T1 (I don’t have known T1 in my family but it may be there - we fit the profile of it being possible).
So it’s all in the mix. The best you can do is the best you can do. When you see an issue resolve it QUICKLY…you may not be given a second chance at it.
You are up against your own diabetes IMO. BUT you can’t give up because people say it’s progressive. I have a friend who is starting to see complications because she has given up stating ‘you are either going to get it or not’ BAD attitude. Attitude should be, ‘I’m going down fighting to my last breath and I’m going to enjoy life as best as I can!!!’ :slight_smile:

“If it keeps in the normal non-diabetic levels3.5 to 5.5, I cannot see how anything can progress”.

Well, that certainly makes sense. Don’t forget though that normal aging (depending on your Family history)can cause complications the same as or at least similar to Diabetic complications. But of course, many of these complications can be caused by non-Diabetic People not exercising, not eating properly, not getting check-ups, smoking, etc.

I notice you whenever you are on here Hana, so I know that you have been doing your Best for some time. Keep up your Fine effort and enjoy your Life. :slight_smile:

Type 2 for 13 years and for me it’s been progress from Diet and Exercise to oral meds at meals to more meds to different meds. I expect at some point i will be shooting insulin not really excited about it but whatever it takes to control sugars I will do.

I think it depends on what it’s due to. Worn down islet cells - from what? viruses? toxens? proteins to which we react? a major stress?
Maybe in some we’re diagnosed with T2 that is really caught early T1?
Maybe in others we’re able control by reducing the islet cell - who knows what?
I think you should continue to work towards control in whatever way you can. Cause there’s a lot of T2s who’ve not progressed!
I think you’ve brought up a question that underlies it all. What do we believe caused the islet cells to fail - in us?

I kind of agree with the keeping the A1c levels bit but not totally. That along with knowing you are not bouncing to have that A1c or ‘calling out’ too much insulin without a bounce to keep there. You also don’t want to think just because your numbers are good that you are doing well if you can tell your system is working hard to keep that. That IMO is how people ‘break’ all of a sudden and wonder ‘what happened?’ I find it with myself. I can eat poorly for 2 or 3 days (poorly isn’t that bad either) and my numbers will be fine…but on the next day I break. No more left to cover bad choices.
If I eat too many carbs I feel it. My BG shows it some times and other times it stays within normal range but I know my system is hard at work (not a fun feeling physically when it happens - plus I tend to forget how to spell of all things!)
It’s all a matter of knowing what REALLY works and keeping (trying to keep) that in line.

Yes, it definitely can be controlled, it will probably be much easier for some people than others but with proper diet exercise and or medications you have a great chance.

Hana, I have to believe that if I take care of myself, eat the proper foods, exercise, take my meds, and follow the other instructions, being smart about my diabetes, that I won’t have a progressively degenerative disease. I also believe that a cure is going to be found, before I die. But it does take work on our part to be the director’s of our treatment, not just allowing others to care for us.

Emmy, then why do anything at all? I don’t mean to sound like I am attacking your thought process. But I know 90 year olds who are in better shape than I, who can walk circles around me, who eat better than I do and they have more things that are older than I, but manage to be healthier than I about some things. I may be naive, but I don’t believe that we should have to die of diabetes because our parts wear out.

Why would you fight to stay healthy in the face of diabetes? Well the same reason I fight to stay healthy in the face of aging. It won’t reverse diabetes and it won’t reverse aging, but it will make you healthier and it will give you an serious advantage against the ravages. I may have a fairly low expectations of my own ability to put my diabetes in remission, but I will do everything in my power to stay healthy. I will continue my strict diet and exercise, because it does make a difference. Stronger people are harder to kill and I’m going to be as strong as I possibly can be. You will have to carry me out kickin’ and screamin’.

Agreed. :slight_smile:

You have good control of your disease. I admire you.

I believe that it can be controlled but it requires discipline in what you eat, how you excercise, and how you take care of yourself. I have been through a roller coaster ride like no other in the past 6 years with different things working in different periods of time. When I was first diagnosed I was put on insulin. The day I was diagnosed i was put on insulin, humalog and lantus my vision had changed. I accepted what happend back then I was told that I would need insulin for the rest of my life.

A year later I was completely off of insulin and no meds. for two years I took nothing until i returned to old habits of eating and not excercising thinking I was “cured” i ate whatever again and A1C crept back up. I was put on 2000 mg of metformin and did that for 2 years. Numbers came down drastically while I excercised and ate right. I got down to 500 mg of metformin a day with a 6.1 A1C. Started to eat bad again got put on Januvia and metformin. That combination tore my stomach up so I went to exercise and eating right again. Worked out for about 2 hours a day dropped some weight and now back to 750 mg of metformin with an average reading of 110 a day.

So what I have learned over a period of time as a type 2 that sometimes my pancreas works for a period of time when I treat my body good and then it stops working when I dont. So far the pancreas seems to take a break and then come back when it wants to or when its less stressed out. If I make it back to insulin I will live with it like I have in the past and i wil fight like hell to get my body in good shape so i help the pancreas out and hopefully change things back.

Diet and excercise have been the key to keeping levels at a good number for me.

There is some evidence that non-diabetics with blood glucose at the higher end of the “normal” range also suffer “Diabetic” complications.
I’m hoping that I have some good genes, I’m 63 and my Mum , in fairly good health and living in her own home with just a little support, is just about to hit 92
I’ve been diagnosed T2 for 6 years and the highest A1c I’ve ever had was 6.1%. Of 10 figures I have on record, only 2 are over 6, both 6.1% I also have a 6.0. All others are in the 5s and I use minimal medication 2 x 500 mg Metformin pd. This is less than in the first couple of years, when I used 3 x 500 plus Gliclazide. and hit 6.1%!!
A t present, I’m halting any progression with my fairly strict low carb diet.
Hana