Tandem diabetes care announces fda clearance of the t:slim™ insulin delivery system

I don't think I would like this pump if it's not going to be water proof like the Animas Ping, yes its smaller and more portable, but I like the features that I have bolus from remote and be able to live an active lifestyle as far as getting in the pool with out having to take off my pump.

Would they need anyone in Port St Lucie, FL (senior living on SS) to try it out for recommendation to other T1 diabetics???

Something is in the air....they're planning some announcement in the month of June!!

This is copied from an e-mail I received from Tandem:

Please look for another email from us about the t:slim launch. Launch date is June 8th, and that is when we can start collecting patient information, insurance and clinical data. The t:slim has an estimated ship date of early August.

Yeah!!!!

I saw it and played with it at the ADA Expo in Seattle in April. There's a lot I liked but the deal killer for me is the need to recharge, it just won't work for me. Just like the Dexcom which, when I'm often away from electricity on sailboats or backpacking, only lasts two days unlike my, now not U.S. available, Navigator cgm & 7year old Delcec pump which will last forever with backup AAA's. This just limits my freedom and is unacceptable! Too bad 'cause there's a lot to like about it.

That's not even considering what happens during a power outage..

You would think that this device would not have been cleared by the FDA if this wasn't considered and resolved. Perhaps there's something that we are not aware of.

I'm sure it was considered and perhaps the FDA is OK with the small additional risk that is involved but I don't feel any need to accept it just to have a pretty screen.

I've read a little about it. I'm considering it for my son...for his first pump. I think the charge is supposed to last at least 5 days. They recommend you top off every day. You can also charge with the USB. I've see some recharging devices that Duracell makes for any USB device..... I would think you can buy one of those for a backup.

I didn't think about breakability.... I shattered my iphone within a month of owning it... have to consider that with a teenager!

I actually started the process to allow them to get insurance information. I actually just started on the Animas Ping, but that I actually got the Ping under my Pediatric Endo. Now that I'm with an Adult Endo, I'm holping my insurance would approve it with new paper work.

They will not.

acidrock23 i agree with you my MM 522works great & after all i read about other pumps i'll keep it till i'm due for a new one in march 2013. :).

When did you get your Ping? Animas told me that they have a 30 day return policy

we don't we try and do something about Type 2's having the ability to get a pump? I am an insulin dependent diabetic but I am not seeing anything being done to help in this area for Type 2's. I think a pump would help me alot but my doctor refuses to get me one. I am personally having a hard time injecting myself several times a day.

I'm Type 2 and I've been on a pump for over 11 over years now. In this area most physicians who prescribe pumps have type 2 patients on pumps. They base their decisions on therapy needs not just diagnosis alone. Type 2's can get pumps if they qualify per insurance. Medicare excludes type 2's though so if your insurance follows medicare guidelines then they won't cover it. If your doctor is that rigid ie refusing to discuss it when your insurance would cover it then I would consider finding a new doc.

I understand your situation because I started off as a type 2 and gradually over an 8 month period got diagnosis as a type 1. My ability to get a pump as a type 2 was consistency and I did not ask my doctor, I told my doctor. I wrote letters to the doctor and forwarded them to the insurance to let her know how a pump would fit my lifestyle and how it would help me better my help health and prevent future complications. I also made it my duty to meet with each of the pump representatives and made it known to my doctor and my insurance that I did so I could make my decision. When I finally got the pump, the doctor started giving me a hard time. So I ended up switching to a new endo and within a couple of weeks of being with the new endo, I was in pump training. So you can take my experience Christalyn and see what is best for you. Just note, you can always started the process with each of the pump manufactors to see what your insurance benefits would be for getting the pump without doctors approval and then let the reps help you fight back toward the doctor to getting you the pump. That's what I did because they were able to explain to me the benefits of pump therapy and talk to the doctor about your specific case and explain how it would better your health.

i think your making a good point brunetta i dont own an sp or ipad and i dont think the quality of my life is any less. this new pump seems like incredible technology but how much will it improve peoples lives who use . or is it to just improve profits for the manufactures.

im from the uk and most people here dont even have old style pumps im still using primitive injections. any way take care

Just on the point about size, it is 3.13” x 2” by 0.6” which is essentially the size of MM5xx and yet holds full 300 units of MM7xx.

Medicare does cover pumps for Type 2's so long as your C-peptide is under 1.0 with a glucose <225 mg/dl concurrently.