Technosphere: The Afrezza insulin encapsulation technology

Since we're revving up on Afrezza around here, I did some research to learn how Mannkind encasulates insulin into a dry powder, and how it works to release the insulin when in contact with the alveolar membrane in the lungs.

Found this article on seekingalpha.com which gives a pretty good, not too gobbledygook-science-speak, description of the new tech.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2560405-mannkind-technosphere-is-the-real-game-changer

You'll have to register for free to read the whole article, but if you don't want to you can visit bugmenot.com first...

For the science geek, here's all the scientific detail, linked by the seekingalpha article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769873/

Good info. The NIH technical report seems to indicate that no lung issues should be caused. I’m “almost” getting ready to beg for a sample and Rx, but I’ll keep waiting a bit longer…but it sure would feel good to tuck my pump away in a drawer and “only” have the DexcomG4 attahed to my body. :slight_smile: I just want to see people like you Dave who’ve promised to eat more normally on it. I feel that I eat just about like a nomral person now, usually 60-100 carbs each meal, don’t deprive myself of too much ever, and I manage to keep A1C in the 5s. Part of me wonders if split boluses on Afrezza would be necessary or not (to substitute the dual wave we do with our pumps now)? I thought that the dual wave was to combat the liver dump that occurs long after carby meals digest. If that’s the case and Afrezza causes the liver to no longer dump glucose into the bloodstream hours later, maybe a second puff wouldn’t be necessary? I doon’t care, if I have to take a second puff after every meal, so be it. I’ll keep watching all of you good folks do this a while longer and see what happens.

Yes! This statement from the article really got me excited:

support the hypothesis that FDKP plays a passive role at the site of insulin absorption and that its function in TI is to act as a particle substrate that delivers insulin to the deep lung, where natural mechanisms of absorption then occur.

Very very encouraging. I read the entire report and the results from their testing is 100% consistent with this result.

In layman's terms, the "miracle" of Technosphere is not biochemical, but completely passive mechancal. It works by basically spreading insulin-soaked Technsphere particles in a very fine, thorough coverage layer on the inside surface of the alveolus (lung "air-sac") uniformly.

The size of a Technosphere particle is around 2 microns. An alveolus has a diameter of around 250 microns. This yields a surface area of approximately 200,000 µ2. With an approximate cross-sectional area of about 4 µ2