Tell Something Weird About Yourself

Me too. That is why my profile picture is my cat. :smile:

Brian - I like hot, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve had it so hot that it hurts on the other end!

I have ordered stuff spicy enough to leave an impression on waitstaff before though. The first time we went to a local Thai place I ordered it ā€œextra spicyā€ and the waitress tried to talk me out of it. The second time I went, I had a different waitress, who started to talk me out of it. The first waitress saw what was up and called over, ā€œNo, she knows! You give her Thai spicy!ā€ Then my husband showed up a few weeks later to get take-out and they just asked him straight up ā€œWhich one of these is for your wife?ā€

:flushed:

Weā€™ve recently switched to a place closer to the house and I swear, I thought the owner was going to try and take my dish away because I was sweating and sniffling. She asked at least 3 times if I was sure that I didnā€™t want them to remake it.

I lost the tear duct in my left eye when I was 18 months old due to a high-chair accident. The strong clip on the tray of the high-chair clipped on my eyelid as it fell and ripped the lid and tore out my tear duct. I had to have reconstructive surgery to make sure my eyelid looked and worked normally. I learned over the years to use other muscles in my eye and socket to hold back the tears, but they build up and I have to wipe them away before they spill over every several minutes.

It doesnā€™t cause me trouble but instead has become an interesting story I tell people about my childhood. :slight_smile:

That story made my eye hurt!! Yikes!

I enjoy solving rubikā€™s cubes, and even entered in a competition last year. Of course I was one of the oldest folks there, and my times were easily beat by the youngins ! No chance of me ever breaking the record. But I actually find it a relaxing activity, and helps me switch from work mode to leisure mode.

@MM1 - Have you seen the videos of the kids where they study the mixed-up cube for 1 minute, then solve it blindfolded? Amazing!

I have seen the blind folded solves at some of the events I have attended, but they got longer than 1 minute to study it. And have also seen where they compete by solving using just their feet !

Iā€™m a cuber. My best time when I was in practice was <1 minute.

although Iā€™ve fallen out of practice, one of my favorite hobbies of all time is long range precision shooting. I found it fascinating the level of ā€œconcentrated relaxationā€ I could put myself into-- to the point I was literally timing my heartbeats and breathingā€” redneck meditation if you will

2 Likes

Canā€™t do Rubix cube to save my life, but I can do the Sat. NYT crossword in 15-20 minutes and the Sunday in 25.

2 Likes

Rubikā€™s cube is a learned thing, nobody could figure it out by trial and error

True, but it doesnā€™t seem to be one my brain wants to learn. OTOH, thereā€™s always cup stacking!

OK, here goes, and please, please do not take this the wrong way: The weirdest thing about me (so very many things from which to chooseā€¦) is that I wish I had diabetes. To be more specific, I wish I had Type 1.

My almost 14-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 over two years ago. She has been a real trooper through all this and is my real-life hero. Insisted on doing her own injections from the get-go, for several months now has been doing most of her own pump changes, etc. I always offer to do as much of her D-care as sheā€™ll allow, as sheā€™ll be doing it all herself once she goes away to college and I want to help her avoid D-Burnout for as long as possible. Hereā€™s the issue: she seems to be burning out a little lately. I have to ask her several times every morning and evening to prick her finger to calibrate her Dexcom. Iā€™ve become more comfortable with the fact that she rarely tests outside of calibrations because her Dexcom readings are so close to her meter readings 98+% of the time. I monitor her BG 24/7 via Dexcom Share and text her whenever a correction is indicated. I have had to pretty much nag her to correct anything between 100 and 180 lately (thank you, inpatient staff, for saying that anything between 70 and 180 is an ā€œacceptableā€ BG level :imp:.) Iā€™ve recently loosened up a bit and set her Dexcom alarms to under 70 and over 180 because sheā€™s been loudly complaining that I was making her correct ā€œall the time.ā€ And yes, I frequently adjust her basal rates to try to cut down on the frequency of corrections and utilize temp basals a lot, but she still spends a lot less time ā€œin rangeā€ because puberty hormones are making a MFing mess of things. I text her because she has developed selective hearing when it comes to Dex alarms whether they come from her receiver, her iPhone, or her Apple Watch. And I donā€™t blame her for this. I do all the overnights because 1. Sheā€™s still a kid and 2. She does not awaken to any sound.

But I die a little inside whenever she hits a rough spot and cries because sheā€™s so effing sick of the whole D-burden and just wants to be non-diabetic like the rest of her non-D-camp friends. At times like that, I tell her it sucks the big one that she has D, that itā€™s unfair and isnā€™t anyoneā€™s fault, and that I wish I could take the T1D from her body and put it into mine. And I ask her if thereā€™s anything I can do to help out more. Lately sheā€™s started to get a little angry with me (I honestly donā€™t blame her) and on a few occasions has said ā€œYou have no idea what this feels like!ā€ Sheā€™s 100% right, I have absolutely no bloody clue as to how having Type 1 in my own personal body feels. I wish I had Type 1 so I could truly feel what she feels, so she would feel at least a little less alone. And so I could set an actual example of more cognizant and diligent ā€œsugar surfingā€ for her to follow.

And hereā€™s part of the whatā€™s weird about my wish: all of you here at TuD have become my family in ways you might never fully understand. My daughter and I have essentially no other family (everyone has passed away except for her father, who remains adamantly rooted in his D-ignorance and sees her relatively infrequently, and her much-older half-sister and brother-in-law who donā€™t understand the seriousness and ā€œall-consuming-nessā€ of D). I depend on all of you to be my D-family, and you absolutely have been, but I feel like I will always be an outsider because I donā€™t have D myself. Although I wouldnā€™t wish D, regardless of Type, on my worst enemy, I still wish I had it myselfā€¦

Too-lengthy monologue finished.

14 Likes

Rose, itā€™s been said so often that itā€™s trite, but being the parent of a diabetic child is unquestionably the hardest job of all. Being the parent of a diabetic teenager, with all the extra baggage that brings, I canā€™t even comprehend. So Iā€™ll never know what itā€™s like to walk in your shoes, either.

[Irrelevant highly subjective personal opinion: 180 is NEVER acceptable, unless itā€™s of very short duration while waiting for a correction to take hold, or perhaps after being dosed with steroids and waiting for them to wear off, when it can be next to impossible to get BG to behave.]

One (possibly) constructive thought does occur to me, and it springs from your repeated references to ā€œfamilyā€. Thatā€™s exactly what this community strives to be, and Iā€™m wondering whether it might be possible to persuade your daughter to join. There are other T1 teenagers here that she might be able to relate to. Just a random thought.

3 Likes

What do you say if there are no dogs nearby?

Did tarring the roof ever allow you to leave school early or stay home for a day?

1 Like

Iā€™ve met someone at a cookout who was cooking habaƱero peppers since he didnā€™t feel the heat from anything much less. He wrote that once a person showing how to slice jalapeƱo peppers in a supermarket gave him a strange look because he was eating the slices as fast as she made them, and not noticing what he was doing.

1 Like

David, your words mean more to me than you will ever know. :slightly_smiling_face::heart:ļø

I have encouraged my daughter to join TuD several times, but she is currently not receptive to this idea because: 1. She views TuD as a collective of people the majority of whom are ā€œolder than dirtā€ (i.e. over 21 :roll_eyes:). 2. I am a member, therefore TuD is, by definition, ā€œuncool.ā€ 3. (Probably the main reason) At this point in time she unfortunately views joining TuD as another ā€œdiabetes time-suckā€ when she already resents every single second D takes away from her living the D-free life she had before dx. I am counting on (and hoping) this attitude will change with more maturity, and your suggestion has reminded me to encourage her to consider joining TuD every few months or so. (Or whenever she stops believing that I am the most clueless person on earth.)

4 Likes

No, but thank you for offering an excuse for me. LOL

That is the weirdest fact in this thread IMO!:flushed::see_no_evil::joy: It must have hurt so bad!!

Understand. The next time you bring up the subject, mention that she can converse with people her own age. She doesnā€™t HAVE to talk to US. :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like