Ten (10) things I have learned about being diabetic in the past 40 years!

I loved this so much, am sending it to my nutritionist and CDE.....they'll get a special kick out of it, since we seem to be head bumping this week. Thanks for making my day!

I had to laugh at the firefighters story. I've been the one naked on the bed and I've been among those staring at the person naked on the bed. It's awkward at best that my co-workers saw me naked! But, the upside is that as a woman, the "scenery" at work was great. There aren't very many unattractive FF's out there.

Thank you SO MUCH for the opportunity to laugh! It's not too often diabetes = funny. You made my day. My husband might have an issue if I wake up naked with 15 firemen around, haha.

#4 i just can't get through to other people. "but it's sugar free" it still has carbs... "yeah, but it doesn't have sugar" ... ok, let's have a chemistry lesson... (several minutes later) ...so if i'm going to eat a carb, i want it to be REAL sugar. from sugar cane if at all possible.

(blank stares follow)

also, #10 :D

also also, re: #1 pancakes / bolus THEN the bacon (or vise versa) never the two shall i mix again. fat throws the insulin on board off sooooo much

Thank you everyone for making my day on August 4th 2014. It goes to show that old blogs never die, they just keep giving and giving. Thank you so much for the great fun of learning about people who are enjoying what I have written. I really enjoyed your comments so much today ........................................rick

The run I remember - it wasn't a hypo caused naked man in need of assistance. It was a really fat guy who got stuck in his bathtub and needed a "lift assist". There wasn't room for all of us in the bathroom - and I am small so not much help in that kinda thing. Made me wonder what was he thinking? You know, really big guy kinda small bathroom and an even smaller bathtub.

Please enlighten me, I'm a type two on Metformin. How does eating fat affect an insulin bolus? I ask because I haven't noticed eating fat affecting my BGL at all.

Yes, The paramedics are my story. I love the rookies or newbies they have to prove themselves to the other guys. They come out with the wonderful statement your not taking care of yourself. (No I'm not kid I've only been doing this for 43 years. If I wasn't taking care of myself we wouldn't be here having this conversation). I had to make an appointment with my Md. To satisfy this kid. If I could move I thought I would love to strangle this kid They always want you to go to the hospital, as if they are going to do anything different than what you are ding right now. I shouldn't give you the ideas that they are all bad. Most of the time they are the greatest and very helpful. They don't realize if you go to a hospital all they do is put an iv in and let you lay there for 3 Hrs. You could be up and around in fifteen minutes. alright maybe 20.

Couldn't agree more, Trudy. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU DISCUSS DIABETES WITH ANYONE!!!!! I Cannot stress that enough. That is what I've learned in my 50 years with Diabetes.

I am confused about the fireman one. Why would you have to wake up to them?

Jared, fat - and protein - can slow the metabolisation of carbs. That's why it cn "mess" with an insulin bolus dose. Lots of people not only count carbs, but add an additional portion of a dose to cover protein. If pumping (it is doable on MDI but not as convenient) you can extended the bolus delivery to accommodate the fat and/or protein.
Scott, waking up to paramedics happens when you've gone to hypo that 911 s called and EMS shows up. If it happens at night (which is probably the most common since someone is asleep and doesn't notice they are going low)EM will tank the person up with glucose, they awaken and there they are, the center of attention at a gathering of firefighters and paramedics. Firefighters are there because in most cities and towns, they are the first responders (there are more fire companies than paramedic units).

To respond to a few questions:

Jareb - basically fat delays absorption of calories. So in a type 1 who covers for a high fat dinner lets say, typically you inject insulin immediately before during or after the meal. this means the insulin peaks at about the same time as glucose is being released by your dinner.

rrrruff - I personally disagree, nut everyone is different. I tell msot everyone straight up but everyone is different

If you have a high fat dinner the meal may wait an indeterminate time before being released. The trouble with fat is you never know when that might happen. So one takes the insulin per usual and it will by and large hit its peak before the food is released. Often times with a high fat meal I end up low thus needing to use glucose tabs to stabilize my blood sugar. Then when the food hits my blood sugar climbs like a jet taking off and I do not have meal time insulin on board to take care of it. That is the issue

rrrruff - I disagree. I always tell first thing no matter what. if they don't care for me being diabetic then that is I am sort of like Popeye, I figure I am what I am. If they don't like it, then i think i need to move along. Lets face it diabetes is part of me. I just cannot separate me and D.

(new slogan idea: Me and D together for forever)

Scott - In teh case of an extreme low my wife will often call 911 since i am out of control and she cannot handle me. While i am sometimes conscious I am often in a place that she cannot get me to consume things , either I am passed out, or I am awake and combative and she cannot get the stuff in my mouth and swallow. Also if she cant get me back I will be on the way to the er. For some reason it seems every time this happens i end up with about 15 firefighters standing around looking at me while one EMT tries to get the IV working the. It is a bite humorous one when one wakes up.

Like artwoman says. LOL

Rick

Rick, you made me laugh so much with your top ten! Thank you!