The Autoimmune Epidemic - great book!

I’ve started reading the book The Autoimmune Epidemic - Bodies Gone Haywire in a World out of Balance and the Cutting-Edge Science that Promises Hope, and would recommend the book to anyone living with an autoimmune disease. Hmmm, type 1 diabetes. It’s really made me think about the environmental triggers that can potentially trigger an autoimmune response. I’m on the edge of eating mostly organic foods, thinking of going veggie, and my husband and I are looking at new homes based on their off-gassing potential of paints, carpets, etc. I want to live more smartly, more like my grandparents did, before the rise of industry. There seems to be a clear correlation between the increase of autoimmune diseases and the rise of industry/chemicalization. I know I can’t avoid it all, but I can probably learn to make smarter decisions, especially as I think about minimizing the chemicals I will pass on to my potential children in the form of breast-milk. Some 278 known chemicals in breast-milk. Let me know if you’ve read it or are considering reading it, I’d love to know what other people have thought of it.

Sounds interesting Kate…I will look for it but can’t promise I will have time to read it. LOL! I have two autoimmunes: thyroid and diabetes. As far as I know I’m the only one in my family with autoimmunes and would be interested to know what possibily triggered them in me and no one else.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for sharing this! I will order it now and read it. I’m really curious!!

I posted something about this book back in June on my blog, notably I included an interview with the author. See http://sstrumello.blogspot.com/2008/06/on-wednesday-the-nihs-nation… for details! A good read!

Great blog post Scott…thanks for including your link.