*The Banana Studies*

I am conducting some of the most mind blowing research known to the diabetes world called, The Banana Studies. After my research is complete, I will be doing absolutely nothing with the findings. Surfing Diabetic message boards for several years now, I began to notice an interesting trend… bananas will either send a Diabetics blood sugars sky high or not effect their blood sugars at all. So let the studies begin right now. Do bananas effect your blood sugars?

NOTE: Please list what Type of Diabetes you have.

For me banana’s do not effect my blood sugars at all. As a matter of fact, I treat them almost like I free food.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 extra small (less than 6" long) (81g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 72 Calories from Fat 2

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 0.3g0%

Saturated Fat 0.1g0%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg0%

Sodium 0.8mg0%

Potassium 290mg8%

Total Carbohydrate 18.5g6%

Dietary Fiber 2.1g1%

Sugars 9.9g3%

Protein 0.9g2%

Bananas do not affect my blood sugars because I avoid eating them. I think they are slimy and I’m afraid what I might find inside when I peel them. I hope that doesn’t throw off your study results!

1 Like

I eat them freeze dried, and they seem fine to me.

Bananas carb for carb are like eating bread or sugar to me. If I wanted bread or sugar, I would eat bread or sugar. No seriously, a medium banana may be listed as having like 30g carbs, but it is like a twinkie dipped in honey, deep fried and then coated with chocolate. I don’t eat them anymore, they are a tool of Satan.

1 Like

Wish I could eat bananas. They send me soaring. I’ve even tried them not quite ripe, but that didn’t help. I’m Type 1.

For the Banana Study, could people list T2 or T1?

My Bunny and I enjoy a banana every other day usually. It raises my bg about 2 points-(like: 4.0 mmol/L to 6.0 mmo/L). Nothing mind-blowing there but still a rise. I’m a Type 1.

Danny, don’t you know that all official research needs to be approved by the admin team :wink: Given that you will use the findings for absolutely nothing. I guess that we can make an exception :wink: I have also discovered a huge degree of diversity on this question.

For me, it clearly depends on one variable: the ripeness of the banana.

IF the banana is really ripe, then it’s like eating pure sugar. If the banana is not so ripe (i.e. hard), I just bolus for the correct amount of carbs (20g for a small banana, 35g for a large banana).

I love bananas and I have taught myself to like them when they are not yet ripe.

[This reply was written by someone who lives with type 1 diabetes.]

I did a little Google-ing myself and found this:

“The glycemic index (GI) of bananas varies depending upon how ripe the bananas are. This is because a lot of the carbohydrate in green bananas is in the form of a kind of resistant starch which we lack the enzyme to digest. As the fruit ripens, the starch is converted into readily available sugars.”

So basically, in my almost green bananas, there are “resistant starches” that I do not digest (and hence do not raise my blood sugar). Whereas I digest all the carbs from ripe bananas.

This seems like another hard-to-measure variable to add to the carb counting mix. I don’t eat bananas often, but I might further our research with some green banana eating this week!

1 Like

type 1–they are like any other carb to me…bolus…I weigh mine on a food scale to get a good approx of the carbs

I’m the same way where it depends on ripeness, but I actually prefer them closer to unripe :slight_smile: and I’m type 1.

Though the natural sweetness of super ripe bananas make them perfect for banana bread !

If eat a whole banana this T2 will get a spike. I love ‘em but they dont’ love me back

intersting theory. think danny needs a bigger research grant

Nope, bananas as long as I bolus for the correct carb count, do absolutely nothing to me, except for a nagging urge to swing thru’ the trees! Oh, I’m a Typo 1 :slight_smile:

T1 - I consider bananas a “mild” fruit if that makes any sense…steady and not too spiky, lasts longer than an orange for a workout.

I find it amazing that some of you can eat them like the way I eat beef jerky…no bolus?! Crazy.

BTW - I’ve heard other Type 1’s say the same for chocolate. What the heck?..I want these mutant carb resistant super powers!!

So far, in my experience, they all crumble me like kryptonite.

Edit: I should have said that SOME of the carbs are resistant. I still need to bolus even for unripe bananas.

very cool question. i’m gonna watch the responses closely.

as for me … i generally avoid bananas because they do drive my numbers up; sometimes way, way up. but … i’ll eat one when i’m reffing soccer (especially if i’m doing 4 or more games in one day) because there’s nothing like a small banana to give me some long-lasting fuel and they help prevent cramps too. that’s no small item especially on turf fields in the warm months when temps can easily surpass 100 degrees.

otherwise, they’re not on my list of frequent foods.

Type I here. For me, bananas are not created equal (depending on ripeness,) nor do the amt of carbs in them behave for me like they should! I always have to treat them with more insulin than they say they need. Little liars :slight_smile: I do still love them though!

Type 1 and it does depend on the ripeness but whatever ripeness they still make my blood sugar rise easily and quickly. If I want one I usually just eat half and bolus as needed. I actually treated a low this morning with one. :0)~ Worked well!!

I always eat my banana mixed with about 300 ml soyayoghurt and after 1,5 hrs my bloodsugars are really low. if I’m on medication (gliclazide) I even tend to get a hypo then.

At the moment I’m trying to keep my DM T2 under control with a low carb vegetarian diet, without any medication.

And dark chocolate (+ 70%) doesn’t seem to have that much effect on my numbers. Though I never eat more than 20 grms of it.

this makes a lot of sense…

Manuel doesn’t eat bananas too much… I think he doesn’t like them to much… but he says it is for the sugar on it…