The collector

(cross posted to my blog)

This month my painting is on the cover of Skirt! magazine. Skirt is available in the southeastern US, or online at http://www.skirt.com/.

This piece came from a place of discontentment. I was recently diagnosed, and still learning the ways in which diabetes would effect my life. All the little things I would lose, all the ways in which I would cleave my behaviors to this uninvited illness. The traces it would leave in my kitchen, my bedroom, the marks on my fingers, the coin-sized bruises that would color my stomach. The worry that was always there. I was still learning the processes of letting go, of changing. I was still learning how to ask for help, and how to know when I needed it, and how to let myself be something other than perfectly okay.

In learning those things, though, I learned something else. I learned what beauty there is in the moments that are okay, the moments of safety and security and the peace of a simple good day. And I learned to be a collector of those moments, to keep them with me as a reminder of the worth of this work we all do, and the privileges of life and love that it affords us. So I painted this painting.

Love this piece! I didn’t know you had gone to SCAD. Cool!