The dad who is a type1 diabetic dad

The dad part comes first. Has since my son was born and always will. Even when I'm checking my BG before holding and comforting my crying son, I'm doing it in the best interests of my son, and I think most diabetic parents are like me. When it seems like we may be looking out for ourselves, we're more than likely looking out for our children and loved ones.

Sometimes it's not easy to look out for ourselves first, diabetic-wise. We have obligations, responsibilities that can compel us to ignore a hypo sign, push it a little further, skip a snack. We do so at a high risk and dangerous outcomes.

And in order to ensure we're taking care of our obligations and responsibilities, we first need to take care of ourselves, without guilt or fear or stress. It's a paradox of sorts, but it's what we face, day-in and day-out.

And if those around you don't understand, explain it to them. Ironically enough, in these days of openness, privacy, especially about medical issues, keeps a lot of people from asking and learning about you and about me. And that's what's most important. Not the latest in treatments or trends or predictions or forecasts, but my life with diabetes and your life with diabetes.

But today, although I checked my BG the normal number of times, bolussed and basaled the same ways and ate along my normal carb guidelines, I especially felt like the dad who is a Type 1 diabetic dad and the dad of a fine, special boy. I feel that way everyday.

Happy Father's Day to all the diabetic dads.

yes, a nursing mother has to feed herself, in order to have milk for her child.
if you don't take care of yourself, how can you take care of others?
happy father's day.

Like we're told during the emergency preparedness speech before take off, put the mask on yourself first because you can't help anyone if you don't help yourself. I don't like that any form of self care is seen as selfish.
Happy Father's Day & here's to many more!