Thinking about getting rid of my pump

Hello friends,

How goes it?

I've been thinking as of late, to get rid of my pump.

I've found it to be a little...too convenient. When I was on the pen or needle and vial, I had to ask myself "Do I REALLY want those chips?" Now with the pump, before the thought even crosses my mind I've already bolused for it and on my way.

I recently got rid of my Dexcom system. It was distracting me as it would ring when I was high. I always go high after I eat, but seeing 189+ really bothered me so I started unhealthy habits like not eating breakfast or lunch or eating small to nothing for dinner which caused me to over eat at the next meal.

I'm sure someone will say it's about self control and regardless of this post, I have excellent self control, my complaint is it makes it easy. My wife is totally against my getting rid of the pump, but she doesn't understand. I've gained 15lbs since being on the pump. Weight has never been an issue, I know I could be more healthy, but I take several martial arts and while I'm a big boy, I can outrun and out last all the skinny people in class.

I guess this is more of a vent and a question to others that have been where I am. What did you do? Do you have any regrets? If you haven't been where I am, feel free to share your opinion too!

Jigga,

It's an interesting thought. One of which I've had frequently, but for different reasons. In my case, I've guessed at some time as I near retirement when money will be tighter that I will need to consider stopping use of my pump. With pump supplies costing what they do, I've guessed that old fashioned syringes will be easier to afford along with insulin, and my BG test strips which are a big expense for me as I test 9~10 times daily. But for me, I'm not sure my BG control will be better. It will be cheaper not using the pump, but having to go back to a log book will be scary (it's been 10-years since I've done that). Anyway, I know of others on tudiabetes that don't use a pump & manage their diabetes quite well. Perhaps they will reach out to you & provide their perspective.

Thanks for your reply!

I forgot to add the part of expense. Next week I have to pay 280.00 to get three months supply for the pump when the flex pens are 25.00 for a box of 100 nano and 100 for three months of novalog and lantus.

Excellent points you've brought up. Thank you.

Jigga, I've noticed too that I've tended to abuse the freedoms of having a pump. It probably took a year on the pump, at least, before I was hit with the realization that I was doing exactly what you were, despite knowing that eating and bolusing do not cancel each other out completely.

It really just took a lot of willpower and self-discipline to overcome that -- I didn't want to lose the pump, so I lost the snacks. (Sort of).

I understand where you are coming from, my child who was diagnosed at age 6 went thru alot of shots, now she’s 15 and was put on the pump it will be 1 year on June 9th. To us it has been a godsend, but the deppance is there. I control as much as I can but she s a kid and they want to test the waters of patience.

Jigga, first, I love my pump (and my Dexcom) and I'll hang on to it as long as I can. That being said, everyone is different, has different needs and preferences. It does take a while to get into the 'swing' of pumping. You can always go back to MDI for a while, then back to the pump if you wish. Nothing is permanent or set in stone, thank goodness!

I had an A1C of 5.1 with 6 shots a day before I got my pump. Since I got my pump I have gained about 20 lbs and my A1C is up to 5.4. (My A1C was 11.8 before insulin). I do think the pump makes it easier to have that ONE treat, and boy they add up. As for the cost, I was paying $700.00 every three months before my second insurance kicked in, for pump supplies. But my sugars are very steady compared to where they were in the past.