To be offended, or not to be offended?

HAPPY100 DAYS! ! ! !

Thank you!

i have run into stupidity yes, though not quite like this.
our son’s one year anniversary was valentine’s day and we sure did have a party to celebrate. not the diabetes, but his bravery and his ability to rise to the challenge of living with type 1. we rented the pool/waterslide at a local hotel, had cake and played games. He thought it was great and he had a really fun day. I figure this could be one bonus of having type 1 (an extra party). it was also a chance to educate his friends about type 1 as one of the games we did was a diabetes quiz.
i can’t believe anyone would be rude enough to ask ‘is your child a spoiled brat?’ (well, actually i can, people are dumb).

I’m offended for you, me, and our children…

“insulin toxicity”? It’s the lack of insulin that’s toxic to a T1! This is why I get so fried that people don’t know the difference between T1 and T2, and wish to god we could call them different things.

Although, the image of a dangerous cupcake is kind of funny, in a Monty-Python sort of way. “It’s just a wee cupcake!” and then it leaps at you with fangs and claws.

I could see where most people could be legitimately endangered by LOTS of cupcakes, particularly if they fell on top of them all at once… suffocation would be the main risk factor.

Don’t mind me, I didn’t get much sleep last night because of a kid with high blood sugar. All those cupcakes I fed him because of my ignorance of toxic insulin.

AMEN!!

This was very entertaining. Thank you for making me laugh. My sister in law is definitely in danger of cupcake toxicity. LOL!!

We need to make a YouTube video with the deadly cupcakes!!

I agree with Cheryl, we should all take offense.

I hope your child gets better soon…
Have A great weekend…
Maxie

I would be offended, however I wouldn’t let it get to me. I just try to think of how things were just a year and three days ago before my son’s diagnosis. I had no idea what diabetes was all about especially type 1, when the educator told me what I was going to have to do on a daily basis I freaked out. I think most people are ignorant about it, I probably wouldn’t have thought it was that big of a deal either until it happened to my family and I saw first hand what is was all about. Sometimes I have to stop myself from going on about it with people. My husband said a few of his friends stopped calling because he talked about the diabetes too much, it’s hard not to it’s constantly on your mind 24/7 but they just don’t realize.

I guess the stupidest thing I was told when I first told a friends of my son’s about his diagnosis was " if he loses a few pounds he will be alright" well he has always been husky but I tried to explain that had nothing to do with it. People are constantly assuming he can’t have sugar and send him sugar free candy and stuff at holidays, I know they mean well I guess in the old days that’s the way it was treated. I would just try to forgive and move on although you will probably never feel the same about your co workers again. Usually what goes around comes around eventually. I think a celebration is a great idea, I thought about it but he was home from school sick so we just took it easy.

ugh… .I am so tired of Typ1 vs. Typ2 confusion… I have a hard time not getting insulted by things like this either. Few people seem to understand what life is like with a Type 1 child - not to mention for the child him/herself!

On an almost weekly basis I find myself lecturing someone on life with Type 1… poking your finger 5-10 times a day, getting 6-7 shots a day… highs, lows, sickness, having to count everything that goes in your mouth and that sometimes still not being enough… exercise changes, growth spurt changes, midnight testing and dosing or treating… sick days… and you never - ever - not even once - get a day off. Maybe I’m a jerk, but I’m ready to inform, you know! Sometimes I feel like a JDRF evangelist.

My wife is planning a nice party for my 4-year-old son in a couple weeks for his one year anniversary of diagnosis and DKA survival. We’re calling it his “Diabetes Day” and we’re celebrating his life, strength, and resilience. We’ve invited all our friends who do understand and have helped us take care of him - even if just emotional support over the last year. He is not spoiled and neither is your son.

Ignore the ignorance, understand that they simply don’t know… and enjoy your baby!

ditto

So many people are ignorant to what diabetes is and what it means for a person with type 1. Most people think it is the same as type 2. That is why we need to educate!! I am a high school German and Spanish teacher, but I always let my students know about my family- my 7 year old has type 1. Even though these high school students have science and health class, they are still amazed at what it is like to have type 1- the dangers of lows and highs, counting carbs, infusion sites- they couldn’t believe that I changed the site- they all thought a doctor did it when we went in for appointments! They also didn’t know about the numerous blood sugar checks. There are a few students at our school with type 1- and I tell my students that those kids- along with my daughter- are my heroes!!