Too Good to be True?

That cream on top when you took the paper lid off the milk. My mother rarely got to see it LOL.Wish I had one of those tin boxes they put the milk in at your door too. I saved the wrong things! Remember the knife man?

OMG, yes! I did the same thing. Yum! The tin boxes were cool. Would be great to have one of those. Remember my father having coffee in the local diner & cream came in small, heavy individual glass bottles with paper pop off lids. I licked those, too. Afraid no knife man in my neighborhood, but I’ve heard of them. Could use one now. My knives & scissors need it!

Mine is Sweetleaf. I like the vanilla better, I like them both better with plenty of ice. Wish there was a lemon lime but I’ve been unable find one. Also tried the chocolate raspberry and although it didn’t really taste like either chocolate or raspberry I still liked it.

Oh wow, forgot about those teeny cream bottles. Poor Gerri, you were deprived to not have a knife man. My husband grew up in London and the knife man drove a horse and cart. One of them bit him in the chest (the horse, not the knife man).

I used to take the cream bottles home to play with them. Had quite a collection! My husband grew up in a small town in OH. When he was a kid, home milk delivery (& butter, cream & cheese) was by horse & cart. He’d get up early just to see the horse coming down the street. The horse knew the route & stopped at each house on her own. I was deprived of the knife man & the rag man also. Glad your husband wasn’t bitten by the knife man:)

I remember the rag man, he was an old man who had a wagon pulled by a mule. You knew he was coming when you heard him singing out “Raaag Mannn… Raaag Mannn”

We also had home milk delivery, but it was gasoline powered not oat powered.

We actually still have a knife man who comes through town every once on a while. I actually like my knives only moderately sharp as I tend to carve myself up instead, on the intended meats and veggies:)

Don’t know about the oleo. You STILL get those tiny thick individual cream bottles?? Might be worth a trip out there! They’d be really pretty with some nice tiny stones in them.

Don’t remember a rag man. The world was so different. My mother used to send us to the little grocer, or butcher, or bakery. They knew everyone, and just added up what we took home till the next time they saw my mother. Everything fresh sigh. I loved getting to pick out dessert!

Little grocerY that is. The grocer was NOT little LOL. His name was Oscar, the store was Oscar’s. How the heck do I remember that when I can’t remember what I did 5 minutes ago??

My Grandfather actually ran one of those little corner grocery stores, 30s through the 60s. Bread, milk, eggs, canned and frozen food, cold cuts even some fresh fruit and veggies. I ran across some pictures of it recently, it was really small, yet provided a pretty good living in its time.

Was his name Oscar perchance?

My childhood neighborhood was small storefronts like yours with bakeries, the bagel store, the deli, the butcher, the green grocer & a fish market. Bread only came from the bakery & you told them if you wanted it sliced. I was a bread junkie, so I was sent with money for two loaves because I’d eat most of one on the way home.

When I was really little, my grandparents had the candy store. Well, that’s what it was called, but they sold newspapers, magazines, all kinds of candy, cigars & cigarettes & had a lunch counter with a soda fountain. Everything made from scratch. The best food!

Ahhh the candy store :slight_smile: A small vanilla coke for 7 cents and a large for 10, with a little extra vanilla just for me (probably for everyone LOL). The bagel bakery was under 1/2 mile, right under the #4 elevated. I’d kill for bagels and bialys from there! No real rye bread in DE either.

My brother and sister-in-law aren’t allowed in my house without a package from H&H. I cut them in half and ration for treats :slight_smile: Not the same as my childhood ones from Jerome Ave., but close, close…

Growing up in England, we had a “Rag and Bone” man who came around with his horse and cart, shouting, “Rag and Boooone”. I think he took scrap metal as well as rags. We had a fish monger with a horse and cart as well as the milk man, who still delivers door to door, and of course the Italian Ice Cream truck in the summer.

Hope you never got bitten…by the horse!

Here's a pic of my Grandfathers store from the 50's
This shows about 2/3 of the entire store, as everyone has said that world is gone. The location of this particular store is now a vacant lot, it was bulldozed in the 70's I am really enjoying this little nostalgia fest, I hadn't thought about the rag man in years.

Oh my gosh BadMoon that’s about the size of our corner grocery, but Oscar’s was much more cluttered and had an extra aisle in the middle. It always felt kinda dim in there -maybe because I was small!
Forgot to mention ‘the Greeks’, local ‘america’ restaurant, and the wonderful deli. Warm corned beef with good mustard on rye, a fabulous kosher dill, real kasha knishes, and Dr. Brown’s sodas. I’d take all the insulin I had to for a meal like that LOL

Love the photo. Wish there were any of my grandparent’s store. It was a neighborhood fixture where people hung out.

Stop jrtpup, you’re making me hungry for deli food:) Walking home from high school in the winter I’d stop for either a hot from the oven bagel or bialy, or a knish to keep my hands & tummy warm. Where I now live, no one even knows what these foods are. I’ve made my own kosher dills because none exist here. At least that’s something we can eat without fall out, but I’d rather have a corned beef on rye & knish!

Jason…I too am in Canada! I’m going to check the health food stores in my area!!! Might get lucky!!

I’m learning…

http://youtu.be/pvFRLIjOLOU

My grandfathers store was also a neighborhood hangout there was often a few guys hanging out drinking cokes and eating potato chips etc. My GF called then “loafers”.They taught me to put a small bag of peanuts in my Coke before I drank it (yes a strange habit for sure, but don’t knock it till you’ve tried it). Had to give that one up on diagnosis although it might still work with a diet Coke.

Never had a knish sounds something like a pierogie only baked instead of boiled. Considering the main ingredients of both are flour and potatoes I’ve probably missed my chance to sample one :frowning: