My latest ramblings about Hope Warshaw have go me thinking about Dieticians, and specifically Registed Dieticians and the American Dietetic Association. I've met many dieticians and almost universally, I have found them genuinely caring people trying to help us as patients. At times, I've also found RDs who are well educated, thoughtful, and often in disagreement with much of what their own dietician community and association does. So, I ask that all those in the community to please not take this as a personal criticism and rather a stereotyping and broad generalization. If I have offended you in any way, by my narrow minded insulting manner, then I humbly apologize ahead of time. My hope would be that even RDs that read this would see the spirit of truth in some of these statements.
So without further ado, and in homage to David Letterman, here are my:
Top 10 Reasons
Why Diabetic Patients Hate Registered Dieticians
10. They believe they are the only source of truth about healthy diets for diabetics, all other sources are not approved by them are “dangerous” and attempts are made to “silence” them.
9. They have declared war on obesity, fighting a symptom of diabetes, not considering that maybe it is not a “cause.”
8. They have inserted themselves into public health policy (particularly wrt diet), but failed to provide competent leadership and when they do lobby our government, they don’t do it for the patient, but for their interests.
7. Vegan diets are “healthy,” particularly for diabetics and even for infants (too bad they die).
6. They fail to understand the patient is depressed and poor; they aren’t stupid and making bad choices.
5. They always claim an evidence basis and that science supports their recommendations, but they have no competency in science, statistics, or experimentation.
4. They mostly have no clue about exercise or sports.
3. They cannot understand how being a diabetic might lead a patient to have “food issues.”
2. They are a “shill” for Big Food, overtly pro-industry, and allowing corruptive influences to pervade their operations and advice.
1. Despite a trail of overwhelming evidence, dieticians still declare low carb diets as ineffective, harmful and unproven as a healthy diet for diabetics. If you can’t get the most basic thing right, how can a patient trust anything that comes from a Dietician?
Please feel free to add your own or comment on these.