Toujeo Basal Insulin

Are you a T1, how much do you weigh, and how many calories and carbs a day on average, during that time? The only time I’ve taken large amounts of insulin (I’m T1) is when I was on prednisone for a week or so, several times. My point in this thread is that a T1, eating responsibly and not being ginormous, should never need 100U as a “NOT uncommon thing”.

Typical dosages for TDD is weight in lbs divided by 4. How that heck that equates to the 100U of ONLY BASAL insulin that Brian suggest is far out.

I’m 220 lbs, active and take (it varies) ROUGHLY 35U TDD. My basal is around 15U per day.

If I’m not active, my basal may increase up to 18U per day. A far cry from 100U a day.

People are doing something WRONG, or they aren’t T1’s, if they need 100U a day. Or they have extenuating circumstances such as corticosteroid meds. Find me a true T1 who is using 100U a day and I’ll show you someone who isn’t managing their diabetes correct, if the previous statement isn’t a factor.

Actually I didn’t realize this was in the Type 1 forum, as the new threads page I am coming in from just lists all the new threads without grouping them by forum.

You seem really irritated at this whole thing about doses. I’m just quoting standard dosing. John Walsh suggests a starting adult dose of 0.5-1.0 U/kg/day and an average dose of 0.8-1.2 U/kg/day. I’m really pleased you have a lower dose, but all of us are different and we shouldn’t criticize members who have higher or lower doses.

This is not the Type 1 forum, acutally. It was posted in the Treatment Insulin forum.

100 units is a lot of insulin in my little world, but I ‘know’ some folks who use even more, and a few folks who use u500 stuff.

This forum still to this day has me confused. I thought it was T1/LADA. I guess I was looking at someone’s type?? I STILL have a hard time figuring out what forum a post is listed in. Shoot me.

Don’t mention kilograms. I’m an American. Are you TRYING to confuse me, Brian?? just kidding. I go by lbs and the lbs divided by 4 idea; not anything kilogram related. sorry! :slight_smile:

Thats fine BUT are they T1 and not obese and not eating all the wrong things and/or on corticosteroids?? A non-obese T1 following EVEN LOOSELY, a decent diet, is NOT going to approach 100U of U100 insulin JUST for basal. Not happening.

It does bother me that people are saying a T1 that takes 100U of JUST BASAL per day is not out of the ordinary. Something is wrong if they are, OR THEY AREN’T T1 or they are massive, or they have some issue that isn’t just them being a T1 diabetic.

I still have the Pumping Insulin book by Walsh. It was my bible as I started pumping back some 19 years ago. Great writer as far as I am concerned. Since you cited kg, I can’t calculate that nor know if you are referring to basal. since he has had so many editions, we can’t even look up page numbers. perhaps you could quote a us version by copying/pasting the pertinent page or when I get time, I’ll look up my old copy. thx!!

I can see that it bothers you. May I suggest you just be thankful that YOU don’t have to use that much. I used to use a LOT more insulin than I do today… Thank goodness for better insulin and delivery methods.

You should direct your bother and ask the folks who do use more than you see fit why. Maybe if you do it nicely, you will learn something. Something is “wrong” all right - gosh I hope you find the answers that will ease your mind =/

1 Like

Are there even “forums” in that sense any more on this new website? Or does discourse just assign tags to different topics? I only access through an iPhone so my view is somewhat limited but it appears to me that it’s all the same forum that each post is assigned keywords now?

sam, if I bother (I seldom do) to click on Categories, I guess those are the “forums”). it’s just easier (and maybe I am lazy in this regard) to look at everything that pops up of interest, when I just click on “forums”. I think I have mistaken some individual’s diabetes type as the forum section??

Karen, it always bothers me when people are letting their lives fall apart because of either apathy, misinformation, or depression. My nextdoor neighbor died way too many years before he should have because of Kaiser malpractice, his own lack of knowledge, and unfortunate human nature (thinking that what he didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him). It was more than a full DECADE after I told him he needed to be on insulin, that Kaiser finally put him on it. by then it was too late. that story can certainly be told by some of you who have had loved ones, neighbors, or acquaintances, or coworkers who got substandard care as diabetics, or weren’t diagnosed in a timely fashion, or watched people give up and let their bg’s soar day in and day out for years until they got many complications or died unnecessarily. all of that stuff truly pisses me off as the needless human suffering that it is. if that makes me a bad forum member, than you all should boot me off of here. (not that anyone has said that, but I’m sure some of you don’t like what I have said)
I will continue to maintain that a T1 taking 100U or more of basal insulin per day either needs help (be it education or otherwise) , or is on corticosteroids, or is a massive individual (in which case I go back to the part about needing help).

Does my picture have a phrase under it in the discussions? I see yours and many others say something like “type 1 or LADA” or “type 2” etc. but don’t see any subtitle on my own posts?

If you go to your preferences and “Edit Personal Information” you can select what type you are and that should show up next to your avatar.

This is your chosen “Title”. on your preferences page, there’s a field named “Title” - click on the
pencil and you can choose one of your badges to be used as your title,
or no title can be chosen. Let me know if you need any help adding or changing your title.

We used to have a “group” on the old platform named U500 and I clearly remember a few type1 folks there, although it was mostly type 2s. In any case, I don’t think it’s helpful to make judgements on anyone’s treatment needs. Everyone is different and deserves respect. We are all trying to help support each other here.

1 Like

I gave you the link to the presentation by John Walsh. To convert from lbs to kg simply divide by 2.2. I find myself bothered that you are so stubborn that these quoted average TTD ranges for T1s from a respected expert must be wrong. And not everyone is average. And even if some of us do take more than 100 U/day it doesn’t mean we are just overweight or that we are just doing it wrong.

Thank you, I see how to do it now. I think I’ll leave it blank though, I’ve always considered myself somewhere in between… The one time in real life that I blurted out “yeah but they’re type 2 and I’m type 1 and there’s a difference” I immediately felt pretty silly for doing so… So I’ll just remain Sam the regular old diabetic.

The title choices come from the badges you have. There is even one called “insulin user”, which you should have. (if you don’t, let me know if you’d like to have it)

1 Like

FWIW I think I may have gotten as high as 70-80 units TDD when I was on MDI. I know my basal was running north of 50 when I switched to the pump, and while I generally avoid carbs my average daily bolus ran about 20-30. I was rather surprised that my basal on the pump never came up to the same level–something to be said for being able to vary the rate throughout the day, right? Anyway, I’m currently at a TDD of 55, of which 36 is basal. I bike-commute about 25minutes each way and try to go for longer rides several times a week, so that keeps it down. I also take 1000MG of Metformin to combat a pretty severe dawn effect.

I don’t have an opinion on the 100+ TDD question but at first glance it does seem pretty high. it interests me b/c the endo I just started seeing expressed surprise that mine was relatively low for a T1. I wonder to what degree these expectations reflect an assumption that the diet has a much higher carb intake than some of us have. I’m not as low-carb as some but I’ve always tried to minimize it. The one exception being that it’s just a lot easier to manage lunch during the work week if you afford yourself the luxury of a couple of pieces of bread. Carelink says my average is 76grams/day, though that figure is skewed because it includes bolusing for coffee at about 20 grams even though I take it with just light cream and Splenda.

I find it equally interesting that you choose to ignore the fact I pointed out that even by the general rule you gave, the math says a 200 man would have TDD of 90 units, including both bolus & basal. Applying the another general rule, one would expect a 50/50 split, meaning 45 units basal.

1 Like