Transition from metformin to metformin er

I was diagnosed with type 2 in April 2009. I started metformin, 500mg twice a day, and struggled with diarrhea for over a year. My numbers were 130 to 150 in the a.m. and anywhere from 110 to 160, 2 hours after a meal. I have been on low carb meals. I went to the doctor last week and in an effort to get better control, he wanted in increase the metformin to 1500mg a day. We discussed the diarrhea and he put me on metformin er, 1500mg a day taken with evening meal. I started the metformin er last week and my numbers are worse. 150 to 180 in the a.m., and 140 to 190, 2 hours after a meal. Diet and exercise has stayed the same. Does anyone know if there is a transition period in switching from metformin to metformin er? And if so, how long?

You should notice it rather quickly. Two or three weeks. I would be concerned with those high numbers though as the Metformin doesn’t appear to be doing the job and you have been on it some time. I would work more closely with your Dr to achieve lower fasting numbers.

Usually it takes 2-3 weeks transition. But it may vary slightly depending on the individual. After 2-3 weeks and your bg stays the same…best see your doctor again.